Amp block - Saturation flavors?

2dor

Inspired
I love using the Saturation switch with Marshall derivative amps in the FM3.

That said, I own a Ceriatone Molecular 50 (the head that @2112 really got me hooked on & am very grateful for the lead) which is the Atomica (Cameron Atomica) in the Fractal. The Molecular, though, has 2 types of clipping diodes & the amp feels slightly different depending on how that Era switch is set (right or left).

Leon goes over the different diodes the ERA switch brings into the circuit. On the Ceriatone Molecular, I like both the 1N4749A (ERA to the left) as well as the MPSA06 (ERA to the right) - they suit different styles very well.

@rglr any chance several "flavors" of clipping diodes make their way into the Amp block? The product's already a tweaker's paradise so in between the Auth, Ideal & drive I think we have a lot of flexibility - just wanted to ask.

Last edited:
+1.

By the way, Fractal's Atomica model is actually modeled after the Cameron Atomica amp, not the Ceriatone Molecular 50

+1.

By the way, Fractal's Atomica model is actually modeled after the Cameron Atomica amp, not the Ceriatone Molecular 50
Yes Sir, that bit is clear, which in turn is based on Jose's infamous Atomica amp; killer legacy.
LE: rereading I can see why my post may confuse some folks on what the Atomica is based on - edited.

A 1N4749A is a 24V zener diode. Two of these in anti-series will yield a clipping voltage of about 25V P-P.

An MPSA06 is an NPN transistor. The emitter-base junction is used as a type of zener w/ a breakdown voltage of 4V. So two in anti-series will have a clipping voltage of about 5V. This yields more distortion but less volume than the 1N4749A setting.

In the Axe-Fx products the clipping threshold is set using the Sat Drive. Higher values yield more distortion but less volume (unless Sat Switch is set to Ideal).

A 1N4749A is a 24V zener diode. Two of these in anti-series will yield a clipping voltage of about 25V P-P.

An MPSA06 is an NPN transistor. The emitter-base junction is used as a type of zener w/ a breakdown voltage of 4V. So two in anti-series will have a clipping voltage of about 5V. This yields more distortion but less volume than the 1N4749A setting.

In the Axe-Fx products the clipping threshold is set using the Sat Drive. Higher values yield more distortion but less volume (unless Sat Switch is set to Ideal).

It's attention to detail like this that makes Fractal great.

Back
Top Bottom