amp block parameter for tightness?

edo

Power User
Vendor
I've installed FW 15.02 and it's a great improvement from 14.xx. However, after adjusting my main amp preset (2 AC30TB'S) I feel like the amps are a little looser, and I cant figure out how to make them sound tighter (I tried lowering the sag, which by default is already lower than previous version, the comp is at 0% and the triode hardness defaults to 9 as opposed to 8.5). It sounds a bit too compressed considering I have it set at the verge of slight break up (if i dig in really hard).

Well, i suppose cathode ratio only works if compression is set to anything other than 0..

I would put Cathode Squish back to default. Without any Cathode Squish the bias doesn't shift and this will make things too compressed. Cathode Squish causes the amp to fall out of "Class A" operation and into Class-AB and even Class-B as things are overdriven. This makes things actually sound more open and tighter.

I would put Cathode Squish back to default. Without any Cathode Squish the bias doesn't shift and this will make things too compressed. Cathode Squish causes the amp to fall out of "Class A" operation and into Class-AB and even Class-B as things are overdriven. This makes things actually sound more open and tighter.

So lowering down cathode squish makes the amp tighter as a result.

ok, so if i get this right, ac30tb cathode squish defaults to 60%, if i want a tighter tone i go up, if i want a looser sound i go down, correct?

If its a low end looseness, try a cutting the bass before the amp with either the cut switch or an EQ block in front. You can add bass back after the amp with either the graphic EQ in the amp block or with a separate eq block after. This can really tighten up a lot of amps and get rid of the loose woofy qualities.

If you have the bright cap on, you can raise it. Modern AC30s have it at 120, the model is at 60 (like a vintage AC30), I like it at ~100 for a tighter, brighter sound.

If its a low end looseness, try a cutting the bass before the amp with either the cut switch or an EQ block in front. You can add bass back after the amp with either the graphic EQ in the amp block or with a separate eq block after. This can really tighten up a lot of amps and get rid of the loose woofy qualities.

+1. This works for many amps in the real world, so it should for many in the Axe's simulated reality, as well.

Back
Top Bottom