Amp and Sound Dynamics

carlosxuma

I'm currently running my Axe FX through the power amp of a Marshall JVM 410H.

This goes into a Line 6 4x12 spider cabinet. (I chose this because it had a nicer high frequency response, since it was designed for their modeling line.)

I turned off Cabinets in the Axe, and I'm leaving the power amp simulation on as it feels too flat without it.

My problem is this: I've been getting some really nice sounds out of my Axe FX 2. Great distortion and such. I've been tweaking incessantly.

HOWEVER, I just can't seem to get those punchy dynamics that the real amps offer. (I've also got an EVH 5150 III & That blue channel has the dynamics I'm talking about that I just can't seem to get.) It just doesn't feel very responsive. I have compression off so I can feel the full "punch" of the amp as well.

There's a distinct lack of pick dynamics when I use different pick attacks, power chords, and such, and it's frustrating. I'm feeling like I'm missing something integral in the setup of my amps, not that the Axe is to blame.

I've got a Matrix 1000 coming in tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to hearing with the Axe. But I'm concerned that it's not so much an amp response thing as it is something I'm not configuring correctly.

(And yes - it's heresy here, I realize, but I've also got a Kemper, and that has the dynamics, so I know it's not the post-modeling amp or cabinet that's an issue.)

I haven't been able to find anything that troubleshoots this, and I've been through the Wiki quite a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions - threads to read, or tweaks to try - that might isolate where I need to adjust the amp models. (?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just a couple of ideas:

1.) Try turning on cabinet modeling. (And experiment with turning power amp off.) Since the Line 6 cab was designed with modelers in mind, it may sound/feel better if you use it in conjunction with some decent IRs.

2.) If turning on cabinet modeling doesn't do the trick (or if you're not interested in using IRs), I would suggest trying a different 4x12 (e.g. something loaded with high-quality Celestions).

Turn down axe master volume parameter.

That should get rid of some compression if you do not like it.
I'm currently running my Axe FX through the power amp of a Marshall JVM 410H.

This goes into a Line 6 4x12 spider cabinet. (I chose this because it had a nicer high frequency response, since it was designed for their modeling line.)

I turned off Cabinets in the Axe, and I'm leaving the power amp simulation on as it feels too flat without it.

My problem is this: I've been getting some really nice sounds out of my Axe FX 2. Great distortion and such. I've been tweaking incessantly.

HOWEVER, I just can't seem to get those punchy dynamics that the real amps offer. (I've also got an EVH 5150 III & That blue channel has the dynamics I'm talking about that I just can't seem to get.) It just doesn't feel very responsive. I have compression off so I can feel the full "punch" of the amp as well.

There's a distinct lack of pick dynamics when I use different pick attacks, power chords, and such, and it's frustrating. I'm feeling like I'm missing something integral in the setup of my amps, not that the Axe is to blame.

I've got a Matrix 1000 coming in tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to hearing with the Axe. But I'm concerned that it's not so much an amp response thing as it is something I'm not configuring correctly.

(And yes - it's heresy here, I realize, but I've also got a Kemper, and that has the dynamics, so I know it's not the post-modeling amp or cabinet that's an issue.)

I haven't been able to find anything that troubleshoots this, and I've been through the Wiki quite a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions - threads to read, or tweaks to try - that might isolate where I need to adjust the amp models. (?)

Thanks!

+1
I like to add some compression for all of my high gains amps, that don't have it on by default.

I'm coming back in to this older thread to resurrect it.

I'm struggling with the same thing. The Axe II dynamics are, well, hard to come by frankly.

For example - when playing the Eleven Rack JCM800 or Plexi 50 or 100 models - with all gain, gain1/2, MV controls dimed - picking dynamics are still quite obvious. Rolling back the guitar volume, say by 1/4 to 1/2 and the distortion is markedly less, you can hear more top-end 'chime' and clarity but the overall volume doesn't change much at all. Rolling back the guitar volume from 1/2 to 1/4 and the sound is mostly clean with some grit - digging in with your pick gets more dirt backing off and it's clean and again - the overall volume isn't much changed at all.

This is very close in overall behavior to my real amps. The guitar volume doesn't change the amp volume until the last 1/4 turn.

I don't hear anything close to this in the Axe FX II - I have to turn the guitar volume almost down by 2/3rd before I hear much of any change in the distortion character. There are a few amp models which are closer in guitar-volume-clean-up behavior to what I'm looking for: Friedman HB/HBE, CA 3+, Marshall AFS100 are nearing the ballpark.

Again - I can use the Plexi 50 model in the 11R (everything dimed except bass (9-ish oclock), presence (11-ish), for everything from very lightly broken-up cleans to full on singing leads with just the guitar volume control w/o much of an overall volume change. I can't find a model or combination of settings in the orders-of-magnitude more powerful Axe II.

I really really want to use the Axe II and have it behave similarly tone-wise, but of course have all of the vast benefits of the Axe system at my disposal. At this point I'm getting ready to try using the input volume envelope to vary the gain and MV to get the effect I want - but that seems so kludgey.

I just found this YT vid that clearly shows the Axe II doing exactly what I'm trying to wrangle out of it (it's me, not you - really!).

I'm coming back in to this older thread to resurrect it.

I'm struggling with the same thing. The Axe II dynamics are, well, hard to come by frankly.

For example - when playing the Eleven Rack JCM800 or Plexi 50 or 100 models - with all gain, gain1/2, MV controls dimed - picking dynamics are still quite obvious. Rolling back the guitar volume, say by 1/4 to 1/2 and the distortion is markedly less, you can hear more top-end 'chime' and clarity but the overall volume doesn't change much at all. Rolling back the guitar volume from 1/2 to 1/4 and the sound is mostly clean with some grit - digging in with your pick gets more dirt backing off and it's clean and again - the overall volume isn't much changed at all.

This is very close in overall behavior to my real amps. The guitar volume doesn't change the amp volume until the last 1/4 turn.

I don't hear anything close to this in the Axe FX II - I have to turn the guitar volume almost down by 2/3rd before I hear much of any change in the distortion character. There are a few amp models which are closer in guitar-volume-clean-up behavior to what I'm looking for: Friedman HB/HBE, CA 3+, Marshall AFS100 are nearing the ballpark.

Again - I can use the Plexi 50 model in the 11R (everything dimed except bass (9-ish oclock), presence (11-ish), for everything from very lightly broken-up cleans to full on singing leads with just the guitar volume control w/o much of an overall volume change. I can't find a model or combination of settings in the orders-of-magnitude more powerful Axe II.

I really really want to use the Axe II and have it behave similarly tone-wise, but of course have all of the vast benefits of the Axe system at my disposal. At this point I'm getting ready to try using the input volume envelope to vary the gain and MV to get the effect I want - but that seems so kludgey.

The way you just described it, it sounds like the other modellers actually have less dynamic range, but thats actually the part that you like about it (you can roll guitar volume down w/o change in output volume, but you still get the change in tone). Have you tried the output compression in FW15 yet? This may help tame the overall volume range while still allowing you have a broader gain "taper" if you know what I mean :) I'd mess with the input gain/trim and master volume until you hit the sweet spot on the amp, the spot where the taper sounds right with your guitar vol pot in its various positions. Then use the output compressor (or an expander) to tame the overall volume loss you get when changing the vol pot on the guitar.

i use these types of amps all the time and use my volume control and the Axe cleans up as well as any amp I've ever played. I stumbled across a great factory preset the other day that I've been playing to death because the dynamics are so crazy....with volume control, playing dynamics and pickup selection i can get almost any tone short of metal/hi-gain from it and I've never even tried it before. This black box never cases to amaze in every area.

Back
Top Bottom