Alternates to Pitch Block for Dual Detune / Mimic

Jetset95

Fractal FM9 new user here - so apologies if this question has been asked and answered before, but I would love to have the pitch block pre-amp for capo and Whammy effects but also want the Dual Detune effect after the amp to thicken my tone like the Mimic pedal. I love Moak's Moving Pitch Block for when you don't need both pre- and post-effects at the same time, but in this case, I do. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good delay or perhaps even a chorus block that might mimic the Mimic well?

Thanks guys.

the old way to do it was to put a volume block after the cab and pan it left and then i parallel to that, put a mono delay set to 12ms and 100% wet and panned right (make sure bypass mode is set to mute fx out). not quite the same thing. or you could try the delay block attached for a single block solution. add more modulation to it, if you want it to sound more 80's

Attachments

• Doubler_20231118_112345.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 11
The enhancer block and Dimension Chorus are pretty good for this too. IIRC one of the Enhancer modes pretty much does what Simeon suggested, but it might be easier on the CPU to use a delay block. The 2290 Delay with the time around 10ms, 0 feedback and some modulation is pretty thick too.

The 2290 Delay
yeah, that's basically what i suggested. it's wider sounding to me than the enhancer and more like a double track, imo

@Jetset95 i made that block on a 3. i'm not sure how portable blocks are at the moment, with all the different firmwares etc, so if it doesn't work, let me know and i'll screenshot the settings for you

The classic mode on the enhancer block is a simple Haas effect i.e. it delays one side by a fixed amount, and it's light on the CPU usage. The other modes leave content in the center and are not as wide. Aside from the Mimiq and actual double tracking, to me the classic mode enhancer sounds the widest and most natural of all the stereo widening techniques I've seen on the forums over the years, including the pitch block with the LFO modulations. It also helps to run slightly different hard panned amps/cabs into it so you're widening a signal that already has a stereo dry (not just a mono dry i.e. one centered amp+cab). Obviously a small stereo reverb is helpful too.

Edit: never understood why people consider classic mode's lack of mono compatibility to be a downside. Why would you be using a stereo widener if you're monitoring in mono? If FOH is mono they can use the left side of your signal which IME sounds better than summing if there's any modulation or wet fx, and when I want width when recording I'm double tracking with it off anyway.

Last edited:
something was bugging me about that block, so i went back and had a look. i think this version is better. the vintage digital i used seems to colour the tone a bit too much and there were some other parameters that needed tweaking. i did it too quickly and didn't check. try this one instead....

Attachments

• Delay Doubler.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 20
i believe the Dimension chorus and plex delay can achieve the detuning fx without requiring a pitch block.

Last edited:
i believe the Dimension delay and dual detune delay can achieve the detuning fx without requiring a pitch block.
the dual detune IS one of the types in the pitch block and the dimension type is a chorus not a delay

Dimension chorus would be my pick if you're monitoring in mono. When summed to mono, the enhancer phases out...

Thanks all for your input and insight - I tried to get this effect with the Plex delay but it never sounded as solid as a double-tracked guitar. For now I just want something that sounds good as I practice - it's been a long time since I had to worry about FOH but having a few different ideas how to do this without having to buy an Axe 3 or another guitar and Wammy pedal will keep me busy here for a few more dark evenings. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom