"Almost mature"

FAS only needs to free some space in the flash mem. Thus dump some things we hardly use and fill this space with new exiting stuff. They promissed life time updates so arrange it FAS.

Something lik eyou suggest will take up more processing power to make happen - and thats what the gen 1 modells are lacking now
As I understand it, it's a lack of memory, not processing power. Processor usage is determined by what you put into your patch. Many people's patches leave plenty of processing power to spare.

FAS only needs to free some space in the flash mem. Thus dump some things we hardly use and fill this space with new exiting stuff. They promissed life time updates so arrange it FAS.

I'm sure FAS would tell you they meant lifetime of the product, not ours :) The life of product in this sense ends when they discontinue it therefore making it less eligible for firmware updates. However I hope Cliff wouldn't abandon Ultra users and maybe do a one last nice thing to make them happy.

As far as I am concerned, I have just bought an Ultra so I am all set for now but I am on the mission to get a II next year eventually. It will take me a few days to raise those funds. I've already found a buyer for one of my guitars. I will sell some more gear and use my work bonus (if it doesn't get utilized on a vacation my fiance's been talking about) to get a II. Lets see.

Cliff if you're reading this, please tell us you've got something encouraging planned regarding firmware updates!!

They need a web app where you pick ala cart what you want in your firmware, and it makes it on the fly and downloads it. Stick hundreds of amps/effects up there and let us pick in real time. Yeah right. :)

If you can't already get what you want from your Gen 1 Axe-Fx, you should consider looking elsewhere. The tools are there right now, and they have been there for years. The name on an amp sim is just that: a name. It's a starting point, not a destination. Rather than beg for some more amp names in the firmware, I suggest you work with what's already there with the goal in mind of producing the sounds you want to hear. If you get stuck, you can put a request for help in the "Share and Request Patches" forum. That's why it's there.

FAS supports its products. The results you get from them depend on how well you support your own efforts.

If you can't already get what you want from your Gen 1 Axe-Fx, you should consider looking elsewhere. The tools are there right now, and they have been there for years. The name on an amp sim is just that: a name. It's a starting point, not a destination. Rather than beg for some more amp names in the firmware, I suggest you work with what's already there with the goal in mind of producing the sounds you want to hear. If you get stuck, you can put a request for help in the "Share and Request Patches" forum. That's why it's there.

FAS supports its products. The results you get from them depend on how well you support your own efforts.

That is the point and that is what I wanted to express. It's better getting some enhancements to already existing effects/amps than getting new ones. But - this is only my opinion. I know this will start some discussion but the fact is that the more you have - the less creative you get. Creativity can emerge if one has restricted possibilities. It is only then when one has to rethink and reshape one's way of approaching music.

Last edited:
FAS only needs to free some space in the flash mem. Thus dump some things we hardly use and fill this space with new exiting stuff.

It would be impossible to come to agreement on what things are hardley used and could be dumped.

I totally agree with the above. But even given that, as stated earlier, I would STILL be stoked to see a new amp model for the Ultra. :)

Variety is the spice of life,baby! :)

But the point does stand that it doesn't NEED anything. What Jay says is true, really, if it's done it's no biggie because the tone is there, right now, today. No matter what other products come out no matter what models some other unit has, regardless of manufacturer.

Then why have you an axe-II ? But I almost agree, except for the new cab's parameters (room/spacing) which are something I can't copy with the Ultra. This is IMO the most usefull improvement, and it has been needed since the beginning.

And more G1 amps won't hurt anyone, the powerball was a bad ENGL choice (low mid pot needed), an invader or a fireball will be more usable. Anyway the energyball tonestack malfunctions, the bass control acts weird depending on the others.

Looking at the Ultra where it is now, its hard to be disappointed if 11 was the final update. Its an amazing product that will be useful for a long, long time. Recent buyers get all the updates that early buyers got, rolled into one.

Even if 70 (?) models aren't enough... there's still all of the combinations where you can blend two amps, run a overdrive in front, or in parallel, or behind, integrate EQ and compression and all sorts of other ways to get to different sounds. Its just not quite as instant as turning the knob to that particular model but there is a universe inside there.

Ok Jay, sorry. What do you think about the room/size controls ?
I have no need of them. When I am playing live, I am already in a room. Adding a simulated one would only make matters worse. When I record direct, I have always been able to get satisfactory "in the room" sounds with the reverb block in the Standard. As unconventional as it may appear, I only expect the cab sim to work for, well, simulating cabinets. With my IRs, the one in the Gen I units does very well at that task.

I have no need of them. When I am playing live, I am already in a room. Adding a simulated one would only make matters worse. When I record direct, I have always been able to get satisfactory "in the room" sounds with the reverb block in the Standard. As unconventional as it may appear, I only expect the cab sim to work for, well, simulating cabinets. With my IRs, the one in the Gen I units does very well at that task.

I'll second that. Properly acquired IR's will make things sound right. I never understood the whole in-the-room debate. If your cab sim is simulating a cab then the room you are in is providing in-the-room feel.

The Ultra is more than amps/cabinets.
Seeing that the amps require more memory space/DSP/code (as I understand it), it can not contain all amp/cab models, so I suppose that not everyone will feel that FA will have provided enough to satisfy everyone.
I can imagine that if the ultra contained NO amp/cab simulations and only served as an Fx processor, FA would probably be one of the best.
The ratio of Fx versus amps (at least for guitarists) is about right. If there is any more code space (which there is not much left according to FA), I would recommend a final polishing to the Fx sections especially pitch algorithms.

QUOTE]As unconventional as it may appear, I only expect the cab sim to work for, well, simulating cabinets. With my IRs, the one in the Gen I units does very well at that task. [/QUOTE]

I agree that the essential tools are available to comp any guitar amp and not just the ones represented or "modeled". And, I would say that the tools available are able to comp these amps with a very great degree of realism.

The only real improvements I can see is to make the amp sims easier to tweak and it seams the II has done precisely that. Perhaps there is a little more of that organic magic in the II as a result of a more in-depth program, but how much difference can actually be heard between 96k samples vs. 192k? Perhaps not the best analogy but it makes the point that we have all argued before; the gen I axe sounds great when properly tweaked. This becomes a greater point when we consider the speaker system used to represent these fine details.

What would be of help is a clear and distinct understanding of what each parameter does and how it interacts with other parameters; this has been the bulk of my learning curve for the axe; knowing how to work the tools.

Another improvement that can be made (imho) is that each of the represented amp sims could be set up much better from the factory to accurately represent a real tube amp. I always tweak hi cut and lo cut at the very minimum. I am speaking here of resetting the amp and starting from scratch and not necesarily from the presets from the banks that are provided. While exagerated fx abound, underneath and with minor tweaking, good sound are to be found.

None the less, the tools are there. For example, in my test I am able to match the harmonic spectrums of every guitar tone that I have tried and have an isolated track of; not exactly but as close as one could reasonably expect considering the variables that will always exist. I am able to get as close to the sound as I could with an actual amp in front of me.

I agree with Jay...
but Jay, are you saying that the factory cabs are deficient in some way or are you simply referring to your ir's and the fact that they are farfield? Could you please elaborate? I do hear a difference between actual cabinet sounds vs. ir sounds and it has mostly to do with what seems to be extended hi end and low end on the ir's. This problem lessens when using red wires and carefully selecting mic position and mic type..or some additional eq in the patch.

Cant wait to get an Axe II, but I aint hurtin' in the meantime...

Back
Top Bottom