Wish Allow per-preset Default Scene

Rex

Dignified but Approachable
It would be helpful if we could specify the Default Scene for each preset.

Currently, we have two options: either 1) load every preset with the same default scene, and. 2) load every preset at the scene that was active when the preset was last saved. In order to load a preset with a unique starting scene, this requires you to remember to navigate to the default scene every time you want to save. In the hustle and bustle of preset editing, it’s easy to forget that step.

How much smoother it would be if you could simply specify the default scene for each preset just once, and be done with it. You’d still have the same option to set the default scene globally, but you would be allowed to deviate from the global default. For each preset, your choices for Default Scene would be:

1). 1 through 8;

2). Global default;

3). As saved.

I don't get it. Seems equivalent to what you can do already.
Let's say you want to have Preset 1 start on Scene 1, and you want Preset 2 to start on Scene 2. If you're editing either preset and you forget, just once, to navigate to the right preset before you hit Save, you've just munged it up.

If you could specify a default scene per preset, you wouldn't have to remember what you intended for each preset or remember to execute those steps, and you'd save some steps (a bunch of steps, if you do a lot of editing).

If you could specify a default scene per preset, you wouldn't have to remember what you intended for each preset or remember to execute those steps, and you'd save some steps (a bunch of steps, if toy if a lot of editing).
But if you forget to set the default scene you've got the same problem. I don't see this is as a meaningful UX improvement the way you see it I guess.

To put it another way, the only thing you'd have to do to save your work of to just hit Save. No extra steps to make sure you saved from the right scene.

Necro bump for a +1. I used this feature a number of times in the AX8 as well and would be happy to see the option added to the new devices.

I see no real advantage to this. Just before I save a preset I glance to see if the correct scene is selected and if it isn’t I press CMD+n, where n is the number of the scene I want, then CMD+S. If I forget it’s easy to fix. It’s just a matter of habit.

I see no real advantage to this. Just before I save a preset I glance to see if the correct scene is selected and if it isn’t I press CMD+n, where n is the number of the scene I want, then CMD+S. If I forget it’s easy to fix. It’s just a matter of habit.
The advantage is that you don't have to remember...

Last edited:
+1 - it's easy to forget to go to a particular scene before saving, with the result being your preset doesn't initialize itself in an expected way, which could be a disaster in a fast-paced live performance situation. Disconflating default scene from saving the preset would fix that....

Everyone has their methods and workflows that work for them, that's the great thing about FAS products.

The biggest advantage for me was during rehearsals. If I tweaked something in another scene, there was no need to go back to the saved scene to save the changes. Made things quicker and more efficient.

Also kept me from needing to rearrange scenes to a global default if I wanted a different scene to load in a preset for whatever reason.

The advantage is that the default scene won’t change unless you explicitly change it. There would be no accidental way to make that happen. Once you’ve set the default preset, you don’t have to take extra steps after each edit session to preserve your choice.

If you’ve never accidentally saved a preset without first changing to your desired default scene, I think you’re in the minority. ;)

Back
Top Bottom