All previous distortion got fuzzy and sounds horrible all of a sudden

zooxmusic

Hi, I have an Axe FX II Mark II where I noticed my distortion, every distortion is no longer tight and clean but fuzzy and pretty nasty sounding, (not in a good way)

I normally use SPDIF out to a Universal Audio Apollo x8p but I also have analog out 2 going to QSC flat response k12.2's and the same disgusting distortion is also present there. This happened all of a sudden today. I was on firmware 22.01 and USB 1.5. I didn't change anything, It just started.

I tried with headphones and there is no change.

I changed all the cables in and out, same thing.
Tried different guitars, same thing
Rebooted everything, no change
Turned Amp modeling ON and OFF, turned Cabinet Modeling Active and Bypassed, still here
I reset to factory settings, meaning system settings, cleared all presets, and user settings, and updated to firmware 23.02 and USB version 1.15

Please help, I can't use this as it is, it sounds horrible.
Please tell me its not broken

Hi, I have an Axe FX II Mark II where I noticed my distortion, every distortion is no longer tight and clean but fuzzy and pretty nasty sounding, (not in a good way)

I normally use SPDIF out to a Universal Audio Apollo x8p but I also have analog out 2 going to QSC flat response k12.2's and the same disgusting distortion is also present there. This happened all of a sudden today. I was on firmware 22.01 and USB 1.5. I didn't change anything, It just started.

I tried with headphones and there is no change.

I changed all the cables in and out, same thing.
Tried different guitars, same thing
Rebooted everything, no change
Turned Amp modeling ON and OFF, turned Cabinet Modeling Active and Bypassed, still here
I reset to factory settings, meaning system settings, cleared all presets, and user settings, and updated to firmware 23.02 and USB version 1.15

Please help, I can't use this as it is, it sounds horrible.
Please tell me its not broken

Does this happen on factory presets? Has the input gain been set to 1.0? Cabinet modeling should be active

I didn't touch anything. Do you mean in a particular preset? That the Cabinet is off? No, I'm definitely aware of those types of things, and the cabs are still on and this is happening on every preset. I did check for global amp and cab sims which google said but I don't see that in the global menu

Actually yes, input gain is at 1, factory presets absolutely, many of them. I would use the reco 1, recto 2, Friedman HBE 100, all scenes that have distortion,
cabinets are on
Drive is off
Headroom is about halfway

again, I didn't touch anything, it is all presets, I have only factory presets now, I did copy over the 3 I mentioned to mess with but right now they are exactly the same

Yes, cabinet modeling is ACTIVE
Amp modeling is ON

I only mentioned them because I turned them on and off or active and bypass to re-initiate them. But I did a full factory reset and its still here

Also, the sound is bad but it's not quite as bad as if I just turned off a cabinet in any given preset. That is BAD, this isn't that bad but it is about halfway to that

Yep, always at 48KhZ, but this happens if I remove my computer from the equation completely and just go out to my QSC speakers or even headphones

Not if I remove the computer, I'm connected with 1/4 guitar cable and then output 2 to my QSC and/or my headphones, so the spdif is only going into my Universal Audio and I shut that down

are you saying to unplug the cables even though it's off? I'll try that now but I can't see that would matter

Not if I remove the computer, I'm connected with 1/4 guitar cable and then output 2 to my QSC and/or my headphones, so the spdif is only going into my Universal Audio and I shut that down

are you saying to unplug the cables even though it's off? I'll try that now but I can't see that would matter
If it's powered off then it probably doesn't matter.

What is the clock source set to?

It wouldn't let me upload this mp3, hopefully you can all hear this

I can anticipate someone saying it doesn't sound bad but it really does sound horrible compared to what it was. It was tight and crisp this morning and every day since I've gotten it

Added Out 1 EQ, all of the EQ's are a clone of Out 1.

FYI:
Output 1 => Universal Audio Apollo
Output 2 => QSC K12.2 Speakers
Output 3 => External Tuner

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 39
  • setup.config.jpg
    setup.config.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 36
  • setup.levels.jpg
    setup.levels.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 29
  • setup.eq1.jpg
    setup.eq1.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Maybe check your global eqs, cab block HF roll offs, amp block GEQ eq. I read that you've switched guitars, so it can't be your batteries if your guitar has active pickups.

Edited to respond to OPs actual post and previous tests

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that. The first thing I did was put a new battery in my guitar, I did change cables and even switched to my wireless
changed guitars even one with passive pickups

All EQs are at 0, not sure what the HF roll-offs should be. I added my out 1 eq to the screen shots. All of them are the same

Try using Input 1 on the rear?

What firmware were you on before? An update can definitely change the sound.

I'll be honest, I don't hear any issue with that recorded clip... Any chance you have a recording from before to compare with?

Have you tried listening to some pre-recorded music to confirm your ears aren't having an issue today?

I don't have any other ideas.

how do I adjust and where is the cab block HF roll-offs?

also, I didn't touch anything, is it a known issue that parameters spontaneously change?

Back
Top Bottom