All of a sudden, Expression pedals stop working mid song, axe fx skipping/cutting out

Axe FX ll (mark 1) on FW 17.04, MFC (mark 2) on FW 3.05, Eithercon cable,

My issues are exactly like Toadfish's...............

I have the exact same rig and have not experienced this (with FW18+ however). Is it possible for you to rebuild your preset you're experiencing the issue on and see if it is still an issue? Trying to think what would be the common denominator between these...

Have rebuilt preset from scratch - same issue. As I mentioned before, also doing it with the factory presets...

I've also experienced this odd behaviour with expression pedals from time to time but its inconsistent. Sometimes when I boot up the volume will be muted like the expression pedal is in the down position but it is not and I have to change presets to get the volume back, other times I switch to a preset and the Wah will be engaged or just will not engage. I'm using a Mission pedal with the on/off button under the toe. Like I said the behaviour is inconsistent and 90% of the time it works as expected but every once in a while there's some unexpected behaviour. I use MFC101 MKII connected with Ethercon cable to AxFXII MKII.

Also this has happened over the course of the last year so it's not specific to FW 18.

I've also witnessed this behaviour.

I've also experienced this odd behaviour with expression pedals from time to time but its inconsistent. Sometimes when I boot up the volume will be muted like the expression pedal is in the down position but it is not and I have to change presets to get the volume back, other times I switch to a preset and the Wah will be engaged or just will not engage. I'm using a Mission pedal with the on/off button under the toe. Like I said the behaviour is inconsistent and 90% of the time it works as expected but every once in a while there's some unexpected behaviour. I use MFC101 MKII connected with Ethercon cable to AxFXII MKII.

Also this has happened over the course of the last year so it's not specific to FW 18.

Have had this happen as well, but it's inconsistent. It definitely happens more on CPU heavy presets for me.

Axe FX XL, FW 18.07, MFC Mk 1 connected via XLR with Faslink adapters, 3 Mission EP-1 pedals. Also note that I have 2 MFCs and 2 XLs and it happens on both sporadically.

Have had this happen as well, but it's inconsistent. It definitely happens more on CPU heavy presets for me.

Chris or FAS - could this be due to a full SYSEX transfer log or something similar? Has anyone tried a SysEx Data DUMP! (page 70 of manual)?

I have no internal knowledge of the MFC or coding or sysex, but it seems all these scenarios are using Ethernet/ethercon. I personally never had these issues when I had a Mark I MFC. Never tried a II or III though so I can't say.

I have no internal knowledge of the MFC or coding or sysex, but it seems all these scenarios are using Ethernet/ethercon. I personally never had these issues when I had a Mark I MFC. Never tried a II or III though so I can't say.

I had this last year using Fastlink on an XL and MFC mk3. Fly gigs in Spain and Ireland. Was scrolling to next preset between songs (bank size 0) and too many times, there was silence :-( Last November I was doing a gig with new my band Three Lions opening for my mates in the band FM and the Axe actually froze 3 times in a 40 minute support set. Ended up with it stuck on a lead sound for the last song. Thankfully it was not stuck on a 3 part harmony lol.
After that, I completely wiped the Axe and the MFC Mk3 and started from scratch. Only done a rehearsal and Hard Rock Hell festival last month and it all worked and behaved well although that was just a one hour, 10 minute set. Starting rehearsal in a few weeks for Swedenrock festival in June with my band Dare. I hope it all works smoothly. Don't want it failing in front of 40,000 people haha.
It seemed to happen (mostly) when scrolling through presets.
It was the same problem on my Axe 2 Mk1 when I had that. The MFC MK3 is also a replacement to the one last year as it froze and G66 sent me a new one.
I don't k now what causes it but there is definitely a glitch somewhere.

A similar experience just happened to me as well. Just finished playing a song on one preset, then switched to the next preset (bank 0, sequential), and lost sound. Volume expression pedal was unresponsive. Had to switch up/down a preset and the pedal came back to life and I was able to control volume again. Unfortunately, this was all live so I wasn’t able to troubleshoot anything.

I’ve experienced the boot-up issue many times, but never seen this problem occur mid-patch. Fortunately, I didn’t panic and just did a preset up/down and the pedal came back. I did recently switch my reverbs to high quality. I recall the CPU usage in the mid 80’s now. Maybe the high CPU is making matters worse.

I plan on troubleshooting this over the next few days.

Axe Fx XL 18.07, MFC Mk III 3.08, 2xEV-1's, interconnected with ethercon. The EV-1’s are controlling input volume and wah.

Ok, guys I think I found an easy way to reproduce this. The problem may take a minute or two to show up, but I think the problem is with the MFC and not the AXE.

First off, I don’t play guitar, I’m just the tech guy for my son. :) I thought he changed presets by going one-up, and one-down, but for this particular case… he started at preset 105 and then jumped down to 101 when the problem happened. We have bank-size set to 0.

At home, I tested this scenario and if I just hold the preset-up button for a few songs, then stop, then test the expression pedal… about 1 in 5/10 or so tries, the pedal no longer functions. No MIDI lights appear on the AXE fx. However, the AXE does respond to MFC switches.

When the MFC is in this state, no expression pedals work. I then entered Edit Mode and SETUP to see if the MFC was seeing the expression pedals, and it was. Exiting SETUP, and all the pedals work again. I tried this again, and just entering and exiting EDIT mode fixes the problem too.

Those who use bank 0, are aware that holding the preset-up/down buttons causes some LAG, etc when going up and down. I wonder if this is the cause of the problem. It would be interesting to see if others can reproduce this as easily as I can now.

Thanks!

Ok, guys I think I found an easy way to reproduce this. The problem may take a minute or two to show up, but I think the problem is with the MFC and not the AXE.

First off, I don’t play guitar, I’m just the tech guy for my son. :) I thought he changed presets by going one-up, and one-down, but for this particular case… he started at preset 105 and then jumped down to 101 when the problem happened. We have bank-size set to 0.

At home, I tested this scenario and if I just hold the preset-up button for a few songs, then stop, then test the expression pedal… about 1 in 5/10 or so tries, the pedal no longer functions. No MIDI lights appear on the AXE fx. However, the AXE does respond to MFC switches.

When the MFC is in this state, no expression pedals work. I then entered Edit Mode and SETUP to see if the MFC was seeing the expression pedals, and it was. Exiting SETUP, and all the pedals work again. I tried this again, and just entering and exiting EDIT mode fixes the problem too.

Those who use bank 0, are aware that holding the preset-up/down buttons causes some LAG, etc when going up and down. I wonder if this is the cause of the problem. It would be interesting to see if others can reproduce this as easily as I can now.

Thanks!

Thank you for this. I will forward to the software engineers responsible for the MFC.

Bank size 10 here. But sometimes I switch presets real fast until I find the one that I am looking for?

Thank you for this. I will forward to the software engineers responsible for the MFC.

EXCELLENT!!

For me, this happens on boot up, and I don't bank up/down at all during a gig - just changing presets from the MFC 1-10 switches (bank size 10).

Thanks all that chimed in - hopefully a quick fix coming from FAS :)

I reported that issue months ago and nothing happened. Hopefully now with Mr. Chase having his thumb on it it gets finally solved. I keep my fingers crossed...

Oh, and while the MFC guys are on it, maybe they could implement the long wanted 'show scene permanently in MFC display' too...

Thank you.

Thanks. The team is taking a look. Here are some additional questions.

1. Has anyone had this happen with Axe-Fx mode turned OFF?
2. Has anyone had this happen with BANK STYLE set to "NONE"?
3. What are the pedal BEGINNING VALUE parameter(s) set to?

I believe all the my pedals are set from 0 to 127 (EV-1). I'm at work, so can't verify.

However, this morning, I tried reproducing this again. It seems that I'm able to produce this faster on my home-made presets (101+) referenced above. These presets do seem to have a lot of blocks in them, although the CPU utilization for each is around 70-75. I know I reproduced this issue on some stock presets, I believe the name of one of the presets was called "tremoverb"(?). So, I was going +5/-5 around that preset when I had the issue. If you guys need me to send you my preset bank, I'd be happy to. It seems to occur very quickly on those, but maybe that's just what I'm randomly seeing.

Thanks. The team is taking a look. Here are some additional questions.

1. Has anyone had this happen with Axe-Fx mode turned OFF?
2. Has anyone had this happen with BANK STYLE set to "NONE"?
3. What are the pedal BEGINNING VALUE parameter(s) set to?

I can answer number 2. My bank style is set to 0.
Probably won't be setting my system up again until rehearsals for Swedenrock to go through the other settings.

Back
Top Bottom