All Capacitors have a polarity?

Interesting. I've always installed non-electrolytic caps with the numbers facing my POV

Only Polarised caps afaik, non-polarised Ceramic, Film etc I don't think it matters which orientation?
There is a rationale at the video. It is not "polarity" (the answer to the OP question at the title is: "no, they do not all have polarity"). It is about the correct orientation, to avoid exposure of the outer foil to EMI on the signal path. The video doesn't say "polarity", it says "orientation"

Last edited:
Interesting. I've always installed non-electrolytic caps with the numbers facing my POV

There is a rationale at the video. It is not "polarity" (the answer to the OP question at the title is: "no, they do not all have polarity"). It is about the correct orientation, to avoid exposure of the outer foil to EMI on the signal path. The video doesn't say "polarity", it says "orientation"
This^^^
…and in high voltage/current audio amps (tube amps) the difference can be significant.

Oh and Mr Carlson knows his stuff. Check out more of his vids if you have a desire to learn about electronics.

Last edited:
Polarity is the wrong term. Orientation is a more correct term.

Certain types of capacitors are essentially "rolls". They take two sheets of foil and put a sheet of dielectric between them. Cut this into strips and then roll it up. You want the outside foil connected to ground (or AC ground), if possible. If you can't ground the outside foil you connect it to the lower of the two possible impedances.

Some of you will already know, however some won’t! Just need the first 14 minutes or so.

Thanks
Pauly

Very interesting video, didn't know that orientation could make a difference on non-electrolytic caps. Btw, there's probably no need to use an oscilloscope to do this, since he's basically just checking levels he could have done the same thing with a simple VU meter.

Polarity is the wrong term. Orientation is a more correct term.

Certain types of capacitors are essentially "rolls". They take two sheets of foil and put a sheet of dielectric between them. Cut this into strips and then roll it up. You want the outside foil connected to ground (or AC ground), if possible. If you can't ground the outside foil you connect it to the lower of the two possible impedances.

Yes....I can remember my college electronics teacher stressing this point about some capacitor types. The lead connected to the outside foil of the cap should be notated when applicable and grounded or connected to the lowest impedance point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom