Alex Lifeson Using an Ultra

vairish

Inspired
Sorry if this has been posted before but I just noticed on the Premier Guitar site that Alex Lifeson is now using an Axe FX Ultra:

21899010150159897813917.jpg

As a HUGE Alex/Rush fan this is awesome!!

Sweet! I wonder how long he's been using it. I saw them last fall in Houston.

You guys are in for a treat... I've seen them 7 or 8 times and this last one might have been my favorite. They are always on their game, but it just seemed a bit moreso this last time.

MAN!

After JP, SV now AL has one. Three of mine favorits (yep, an old fart :mrgreen)

So when will EVH buy one? Then they can go to the Fractal College together.

Typical they only use it for the effects. mmmmmmm

Wow! - Now all he has to do is start to use the Axe's Marshall based models + trade in those H+K boatanchors for some uncolored power amplification, to get back the great tone he had in the 70's, 80's

I figured it was just a matter of time until he at least tried it. I remember watching him give an interviewer a walk-through of his huge setup. All I could think was that he could achieve most of this with the Axe-FX. But that sort of setup develops over time and must be hard to jettison, especially if you don't have to move it or set it up yourself every gig.

TBH, I've seen them 13 times, and I thought his FOH tone was not so good (actually, the entire mix was usually not so good, sometimes HORRIBLE). Two exceptions were the pre-Signals tour (actually called the Spring Training tour), where I was on the barricade and could hear the on-stage cabs and cymbals directly, and the Presto tour, where the sound was head and shoulders above any other Rush tour I've seen. I've seen them a few times where the sound sucked so badly that I wanted to leave after the first song. Just goes to show that an awesome setup doesn't guarantee great tone in the FOH.

Compared to other acts I've seen live (especially Pink Floyd / Roger Waters / Paul McCartney), I think Rush's live sound generally stinks. I've seen them all play the same venues, so it isn't simply a matter of the room. I continue to wonder why this is.

I've seen them all play the same venues, so it isn't simply a matter of the room.

Of the 7 or 8 times I've seen them, it was all at 1 of 4 different venues. 3 were outdoor amphitheaters and the sound was outstanding. The other was an indoor arena and the sound was not so good despite the fact that the opening band's sound was excellent. Maybe they're just set up better for some places then others.

Talk about coincidences — my first MIDI guitar processor was Gallien-Krueger 100MPL, bought back in 1992 — a Lifeson-endorsed product. Now Mr. Lifeson has bought an Axe-FX, which I heartily endorse. :) It's come full circle.

Of the 7 or 8 times I've seen them, it was all at 1 of 4 different venues. 3 were outdoor amphitheaters and the sound was outstanding. The other was an indoor arena and the sound was not so good despite the fact that the opening band's sound was excellent. Maybe they're just set up better for some places then others.
I've always wondered if the sound reinforcement gear/personnel travels with them, or if they contract for different companies at each location/region. All I know is that they are one of the best live rock bands from a performance perspective, but their sound is almost always awful when I've seen them. But that is beside the point of how great it is to see Alex using the Ultra.

His tech says that in his current stage rig Alex is using the Axe-FX as back up to replace all the other effects (Four TC G-Force's; Rack Cry Baby) (and the Palmers?). So they are obviously aware of what it can do.

Very cool.

My band plays quite a few Rush tunes. Have for years.
OK, if he uses the Axe for backup, he must have presets for every song, right? Come on Alex, cough'em up!

Back
Top Bottom