Airline Lost my Suhr.

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
I came home Monday from the LA Amp Show and arrived in Canada without my Suhr guitar. I was supposed to get it in Toronto to clear Customs for my connection to Ottawa, the guitar was not there. I was freaking!!!

When I arrived in Ottawa they had no idea where it was. It was checked in LA then nothing.

Air Canada called me yesterday to assure me they found it and I would have it in my hands by noon...it never arrived.

They called twice this morning and this time I talked to someone that spoke clear English, he said he had the guitar in front of him and was sending it with a driver to deliver it to me.

What a nerve racking experience!!!

Air Canada is a great airline, they have LCD's on the seatbacks with on demand recent movies, they have leg room and very polite crew. Where they suck badly is the way they treat people with musical instruments. They will not let me on the aircraft with my guitar..EVER! These airlines need to fix this crap. I flew Delta the last time I went to LA. On one leg the pilot actually greeted me and took the guitar into the cockpit with him, then hand delivered it back to me personally when we landed.

Some of these airline folks need to stop watching so many movies. It's a guitar, not a bomb (well I guess some folks can make it sound like a bomb and I have had bad days on stage lol).

I'm going to feel a lot better when I get the guitar back in one peice. BTW it is in a SKB ATA approved flight case....well under the airlines' size and weight requirements for a carry on musical instrument. Unfortunately these are guidelines and not policy and is up to the discretion of the individual airline. BULLSHIT!!!

Mark

Last edited:
Update: They have now called my house twice after I left and after I received two phone calls from Air Canada on my cell, not sure why they have now decided to call my home phone. They are confirming the shipping address.....they have had it wrong both times...I am afraid!!!!!! I think my wife has straightened them out...I hope!

Mark

That sucks! I remember I was bummed when the airline "misplaced" my suitcase on a flight to LA once...and I basically only had a couple pair of underwear and a toothbrush in there. I can't imagine if it was my guitar...especially a Suhr.

Hopefully you get it back soon!

I flew Delta the last time I went to LA. On one leg the pilot actaully greeted me and took the guitar into the cockpit with him, then hand delivered it back to me personally when we landed.

Mark

I'd never fly with a one legged pilot! :)

Glad it's hopefully turned up ..... I'd be up the walls if it happened to me .... not that I'm likely to be needing to bring a guitar to an Amp Show.

I once was loading my gear after a rehearsal and as the ground was wet I put my acoustic which was in a padded gig bag on the roof of the car while I loaded the rest of the stuff into the back seats ..... you can probably guess the next thing that happened ..... doh! Drove home and wondered where the acoustic had gone ... :)

WOW man, that is one of my biggest fears to have the airlines lose my Suhr Modern when i fly and there it happens to you. Glad to see they found it, lucky, from what i read Airlines lose stuff all the time never to be found.

Mark, I hope your guitar makes it back to you safe and sound. One question...will you be taking it to another amp show? I'd leave her home next time. Take a beater.

Mark, I hope your guitar makes it back to you safe and sound. One question...will you be taking it to another amp show? I'd leave her home next time. Take a beater.

It's my favorite guitar. I paid a lot of money for it, I paid a lot of money for an ATA flight case, I pay a lot of money for musical instrument insurance.......the guitar travels with me :) I'm not going to let this stop me. I will however make a fuss with Air Canada and try and get them to allow me to travel a little easier with my guitar.

Mark

They wouldn't let you walk on with it. I can sadly understand that in todays world. But how did they lose it at the gate? Are you saying Air Canada won't even let you gate tag an instrument? You have to send it down the belts with baggage handlers tossing them on carts etc? This can't be true.

:(

~Baby back unharmed mojo sent~

I came home Monday from the LA Amp Show and arrived in Canada without my Suhr guitar. I was supposed to get it in Toronto to clear Customs for my connection to Ottawa, the guitar was not there. I was freaking!!!

When I arrived in Ottawa they had no idea where it was. It was checked in LA then nothing.
A friend of mine plays bass for the Four Tenors and Air Canada has lost his bass not once, not twice but FIVE TIMES on the flight between Toronto and Ottawa. Most recently: this week. Monday actually. And this is after he flew around China and East Asia on tour with the Tenors for 2 weeks. When does it go missing? On the last leg home. The shortest hope. The one bit of the journey where you think he'd be able to relax and not worry about this gear.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Just said a prayer mark. Although the prayer went somewhat like this..... "please God let that suhr end up in my ny home"

I mean please God let mark get his suhr back....

:) good luck bro.

That is so freaking bad experience. I had that all the time in my mind when I packed in the Axe II in my suitcase and then saw the lock was broken when it arrived. I was so happy to see the Axe II when I got home. Hopefully you will get your Suhr soon. :)

American airlines lost my luggage on the way to my royal caribbean cruise this summer. i didnt get my bag back for 3 weeks. (yeah...had to buy new clothes). in the end i got my bag and a check for $2100 from american airlines.
i let them have it on the phone every damn day until i got the bag back. funny thing was....everytime i called i talked to a different person. LOL

airlines suck. make sure you STICK IT TO EM! Nobody messes with a Suhr!

Back
Top Bottom