AI generated music has taken a huge leap

If anything, I feel that this elevates the importance of the human aspects of music.

I'm of the same opinion; when I first saw some of the "text to image" AI generated art/images I thought, "well, this will certainly displace some graphic artists, no doubt," but, at the same time, I strongly felt that art crafted by a real person will elevate it's "status" and become even more desirable and/or valuable in some (many??) cases.

No doubt we are at an inflection point here and it's going to get really crazy going forward as so much of this tech is really getting mind-blowing and starting to "mature".

Last edited:
And the people that just makes 100% AI generated music, will they call themselves "musicians", like some DJs do? And what is worst: will people respect them and adore them as much as they venerate DJs?

Horror of horrors....but yea, quite likely...🤮

And the people that just makes 100% AI generated music, will they call themselves "musicians", like some DJs do? And what is worst: will people respect them and adore them as much as they venerate DJs?

Some people will. Like the EDM crowd. The music doesn’t do it for me but it does for them. It’s only about the end result and the DJ is king. Little value is placed on artists in that world. I expect they will embrace AI music if it sounds like what they like.

You're missing the forrest for the trees. It's not about (insert huge pop star) making less money, it's creating an environment where the next (insert huge pop star) would never exist and making it even more difficult for (insert your fav non huge pop star artist here) to make a living as a musician.
You see I don't believe that because any artists I care about would not be using AI to fake being an artist. I see the trees :)

You see I don't believe that because any artists I care about would not be using AI to fake being an artist. I see the trees :)
POP Music, Hip Hop and the like already in my, that's not music category. Very few exceptions! Just sayin! I also am not thrilled about AI because I have NO DOUBT it will be MISUSED immensely-not just music! I love technology but I fear the temptation for misuse is too great!

I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude is what makes this so dangerous. "I like good music you see, so it won't impact me" But this is going to have industry wide impact. Really going to be up to the generation coming up now to take a stand and decide if they will accept it or not across really all industries.

I'd wager the next generation is going to embrace it wholeheartedly, but that's just a feeling.

The young folks are growing up in a different world than we did. They might not care how the music was made. One thing going for us is that people are obsessed with celebrity and want faces put to mainstream music. Grammys and all that. Now if the celebrities are using AI to come up with melody’s and song structure, and even lyrics, they probably won’t care. Many big names don’t write their own songs. And people don’t care about that. If Joe Smith songwriter cans an AI derived song and sells it under his name to a future Rihanna etc, who would even know it was AI?

I'd wager the next generation is going to embrace it wholeheartedly, but that's just a feeling.

Probably. Every generation seems alien to the last. I'm glad I'm largely not going to have to deal too much with it, but feel bad for my kid's who are going to have to navigate that new world.

I know you're kidding, but that kind of attitude is what makes this so dangerous. "I like good music you see, so it won't impact me" But this is going to have industry wide impact. Really going to be up to the generation coming up now to take a stand and decide if they will accept it or not across really all industries.
No I am NOT kidding about anything I said. Strange that you would think so.

just another nail in the coffin of the working musician. I mean at some point this is all going to take over everything we do and then what?

I guess live music will be the only remaining place for actual humans. And even now that is struggling to survive. Maybe there'll be a fringe of non-ai 'hipsters' who still want to hear humans express themselves.

Society will become further removed from, and less aware of the genuine creative process as the humanity is replaced by AI 'generated' content.

AI will 'create' the equivalent of artificially flavored junk-food sold in a single use plastic wrapper.

Last edited:
Society will become further removed from, and less aware of the genuinely creative process as the humanity is replaced by AI 'generated' content.

AI will 'create' the equivalent of artificially flavored junk-food sold in a single use plastic wrapper.

...and chock full of addictive ingredients, er..., calculatedly catchy lyrics that rot your brain.

Oh, OK whatever you say?

The point is not whether someone you like uses AI, it's that AI is going to impact the industry as a whole and the ability of artists special to you from making a living as the competition is going to increase exponentially including "copies" of your favorite artists made by others looking to profit from their skill/sound by people who have no actual musical talent of their own. See the viral Drake AI tune. I 100% expect new work by 'not the' Beatles and [insert your fav band] very soon...

I do find generative AI tech absolutely fascinating though, and have been exploring "autoencoders" which is the tech underlying a lot of this stuff.

What I can say for sure is there is some mind-boggling tech which is pretty accessible and actually fairly easy to start to use and explore AI/DL/ML, as frameworks like Tensorflow, Keras, and Pandas does the heavy lifting for you. In only a few lines of Python code with it's astounding at what you can achieve on your desk at home with a laptop with a RTX3070 GPU (running on Linux of course!)....

The big gotcha here is the enormous amounts of data that mere mortals aren't able to access/collate/amass, as well as the copyright issues, etc. that are now starting to come to the fore.

Back
Top Bottom