AFX spotted in Billy Sheehans Home Studio

Ouch! :confused:
Bass&Guitar Pods above the Axe????!!!!
WARNING! DON'T DO THIS AT HOME! This can damage the Axe sound and void the warranty!!!

You know We wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the POD.
Gotta give it some respect. I had an X3, pretty amazing stuff at the time. I think the price point means that it's more entry level friendly and so lots of clueless people (like me) ended up making presets that sounded "exactly like the real thing!" Except they didn't lol

You know We wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the POD.
Gotta give it some respect. I had an X3, pretty amazing stuff at the time. I think the price point means that it's more entry level friendly and so lots of clueless people (like me) ended up making presets that sounded "exactly like the real thing!" Except they didn't lol
Me personally, I never liked the sound of POD's, I was more of a Digitech/Johnson Millennium man before switching to FAS.

Interesting discussion... :)
I used to own both Johnson Millenium and Line6 Vetta, then POD X3 Live. HarrySound is right about the fact that :
We wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the POD.
Gotta give it some respect.

Now they can't even hold a candle to FAS gear, but the "modeling mindset" was more or less born with the POD, although not truly the first piece of gear to do so. I've actually gotten great sounding results with them, as long as I stayed clear of trying to emulate truly amp-like behavior... ;) You sort of had to know what a specific tone could do, and stick to it. It was not at all like playing through my tube rigs, but they served a purpose. That's why FAS is a complete game changer, because you get the best of both worlds. Immense portability AND true amp feel! You couldn't play a POD like an "instrument", but the Axe-FX is truly a musical instrument, just like a great tube amp is.

In my case, POD made the opposity, taking me away from modelers. I bought a Hd-500 once and couldn't stand the sound of it. I remember thinking that modelers would never be for me. Fortunately, I was wrong.

It was Kemper who brought me to this digital world again and now Axe shows me every day that I won't use real amps never more.

I've always had the impression that Billy Sheehan represented technical mastery (fast fast fast) of the instrument first and foremost, with any signature identifiable "tone" and note selection taking a clear back seat. Anyone else? I've always been amazed by what he can do, regardless.

Here's a poor analogy (comedy): Steven Wright vs. Dennis Leary sort of thing.

I've always had the impression that Billy Sheehan represented technical mastery (fast fast fast) of the instrument first and foremost, with any signature identifiable "tone" and note selection taking a clear back seat. Anyone else? I've always been amazed by what he can do, regardless.

Here's a poor analogy (comedy): Steven Wright vs. Dennis Leary sort of thing.

I never thought about it that way before but I guess I agree with that sentiment. Definitely an amazing talent!!

I'm old, so my fav bass players list is aged :) Chris Squire, Duck Dunn, Phil Lesh, John Paul Jones, Ron Carter, Edgar Meyer, Rob Wasserman.

Check out his solo album Holy Cow if you want a good idea of his range. I believe other than guest appearances by Billy Gibbons and Paul Gilbert, that Billy plays all the guitars too and he's depressingly good at that as well...

As for the POD's in his rack, Its been my previous experience a lot of these guys lives are so busy that they get lazy about removing old gear from their racks. That is until they need the rack space for something else. Even then I've seen some just buy more rack space and the old stuff just stays where it was. lol

I'm old, so my fav bass players list is aged :) Chris Squire, Duck Dunn, Phil Lesh, John Paul Jones, Ron Carter, Edgar Meyer, Rob Wasserman.
I'm old too, all great players but no Paul McCartney on your list? JK. Sir Paul's lyrical bass lines were a huge influence for me.

Billy is a technical wonder but imho he seriously over plays. When he plays with Portnoy there's no groove or space for Kotzen.

I'm old too, all great players but no Paul McCartney on your list? JK. Sir Paul's lyrical bass lines were a huge influence for me.

Billy is a technical wonder but imho he seriously over plays. When he plays with Portnoy there's no groove or space for Kotzen.

Yes left out Paul!

I actually learned bass from transcribing Paul and Duck Dunn. The old way, by dropping a needle on a turntable over and over.

As for the POD's in his rack, Its been my previous experience a lot of these guys lives are so busy that they get lazy about removing old gear from their racks. That is until they need the rack space for something else. Even then I've seen some just buy more rack space and the old stuff just stays where it was. lol

This is the reason why there's still an Eleven Rack in my rack. That and the fact that it's got no resale value whatsoever. Hasn't been powered up since I got my Axe-FX II in December 2012. It has a mic preamp in it that I might use one day...

You know We wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the POD

Yeah, umm... no. I think Digitech, Boss and Roland would have a lot to say about your comment. It's not just about Line6 and POD. The history and influence of digital guitar modeling goes far beyond POD.

Has it actually been established that that's Billy's studio? Maybe it's not his POD or Fractal at all. Maybe those aren't his action figures either.

Back
Top Bottom