Adventures in fan replacement! IXP-34-16/12/8 and FD-FAN-60

I just installed the SilenX IXP-34-08 in my Ultra and there was absolutely NO noise at all..
I followed GuitarDojo's method of (4) #6-32 x 1-1/4" lg. screws, and (8) #60 O-Rings. Using (2) O-Rings per screw (between the head of the screw & the fan, and another between the fan and the stand-off).
Now if I could only get rid of that very little bit of fan noise coming from my QSC GX3. LOL..
:D :D

Re: Adventures in fan replacement - SilenX iXtrema IXP-34-16

Bakerman said:
I installed an IXP-34-16 this week; here are a couple suggestions for getting any fan/Axe running as quietly as possible:

Hi-I installed the Silenx 12db but after looking at the specs of the 16db, I am wanting to try that instead-I have one already. It pushes appx 18cfm while the 12 does 14cfm and the original fan does 15.54cfm-
I know It's louder than the 12db but not near the originals noise. A middle ground would work for me and I would be more comfortable with the additional air moved. I used the longer screws and "o" rings as described earlier.
Thanks

porieux said:
I just ordered an Ultra (hooray!) is there any consensus yet on which is the best fan to get?
Congrats on the Ultra!

My vote's the IXP-34-12 along with rubber grommets and possibly longer screws.
I think GuitarDojo probably picked the best easily-available setup...
GuitarDojo said:
[...] SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm [...]
6/32 - 1.25" screws - Home Depot
#60 "O" rings - Home Depot
Stratman68 said:
I have the 12 installed but want to try the 16. I'd like to know also.
The 16 was really too loud, imho. It's significantly quieter than stock, but if you're going to bother with a fan replacement, I think the 12 is the sweet spot.

Re: Adventures in fan replacement - SilenX iXtrema IXP-34-16

LAYGO said:
Why are ya'll so concerned about fans touching the heatsinks? Have you not looked at your CPU lately in your COMPUTER?

They mount them ON THE HEATSINKS. Wonder why that route wasn't explored? I imagine the fan is blowing down & he didn't want to come up with a standoff to get that little bit of separation from the spinny things from the pointy things?

I was thinking this thing through and thought the same thing LAYGO. Well, the part about using a fan mounted on the heatsink. Not so much about the seperation of the spinny things from the pointy things. :) After looking at the pics though I think a fan small enough to fit the diameter of the heat sink and meet the CFM would be even louder. Thats probably why they opt'd for a 60mm fan mounted above.

I too have just installed the SilenX IXP-34-08 in my Ultra and the noise level is no longer an issue. :p Because of the extra thickness of the fan, it sits closer to the heat sink, so I feel there will still be plenty of air circulation - Happy Camper here!

~Rad~

I've replaced fans in 3 Axe-FX's now, using the 12db and 16db models from Silenx. I prefer the 12db (14cfm) because it closely matches the output of the stock fan. Have been running Axe-FX's this way since June 2007.

I use rubber grommets and 2 generic metal washers; stock screws through the bottom hole only. Locks down firmly and does clear the heat sinks on the MB.

Hard use in huge range of temperatures from outside in the sun at outdoor festivals (inside a stock black SKB rack always) to freezing away outside parties with space heaters in the Michigan winters. Never one hiccup, one issue and virtually silent unless you get very close to the actual fan in absolute silence.

godprobe said:
porieux said:
I just ordered an Ultra (hooray!) is there any consensus yet on which is the best fan to get?
Congrats on the Ultra!

My vote's the IXP-34-12 along with rubber grommets and possibly longer screws.
I think GuitarDojo probably picked the best easily-available setup...
GuitarDojo said:
[...] SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm [...]

We are weeks away from the 1 year test!!!

Scott Peterson said:
I've replaced fans in 3 Axe-FX's now, using the 12db and 16db models from Silenx. I prefer the 12db (14cfm) because it closely matches the output of the stock fan. Have been running Axe-FX's this way since June 2007.

I use rubber grommets and 2 generic metal washers; stock screws through the bottom hole only. Locks down firmly and does clear the heat sinks on the MB.

Hard use in huge range of temperatures from outside in the sun at outdoor festivals (inside a stock black SKB rack always) to freezing away outside parties with space heaters in the Michigan winters. Never one hiccup, one issue and virtually silent unless you get very close to the actual fan in absolute silence.

I definitely go along with Scott on this one.... the Silenx 12. Obviously it's personal choice, but even given the argument of the fan sitting closer, I wouldn't feel comfortable going with 8.... just not enough output for me...even the 12 is slightly less output than the stock fan, but it is close enough.

Wow. We are now way past the 1 year mark of this test.

SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm

Still silent! Still Cool!
With the 90+days of 100+ weather we had this summer, this definately has been the way to go.

godprobe said:
Looks from the specs like it's rated at 20dBA. IMHO, that's not enough of an improvement to bother with.
(Never much liked Vantec's hard drive enclosures either... they look cool, but are built kinda cheap.)

Yeah, looks like I'll have to find one of the silenx fans here in Canada. The places that have them are out of stock.

SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm
Has anyone in Canada been able to locate a source for the SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm fan? The newegg.ca site (newegg.com's evil Canadian twin) shows it as "deactivated", meaning "searching for a new supplier or it has reached the end of its product life cycle and will no longer be available at all". The only two SilenX fans that are currently available at newegg.ca are the IXP-34-16 (too noisy at 16 dB?) and the IXP-34-08 (not enough flow at 10cfm?)

I don't know if the US has a regular supply of these fans, or if it's just the old stock getting slowly sold off...

Any opinions on the 10cfm model? At 8 dB, it's appealing, but not if it has any chance of shortening the Axe-FX life expectancy... still, I'm trying to find a Canadian source for the IXP-34-12 ...

Thanks,
Daniel

I've been searching for a Canadian supplier with no luck at all. I'm tempted by the IXP-34-08 at 10CFM but I'm still worried about the reduced airflow. Is it that big of a deal? If anyone has any insight on that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I ordered mine through NewEgg.ca.
Not really a Canadian company.
They might not even be shipping from Canada.
But I think they have it worked out so that Revenue Canada treats it as if it's all happening in Canada.
Cost me $33.19 for the fan that Marty at Fractal recommended, and I was not charged any tax or duty or handling fees.
The only extra was for the longer bolts that the new fan needs.

Baracus said:
I've been searching for a Canadian supplier with no luck at all. I'm tempted by the IXP-34-08 at 10CFM but I'm still worried about the reduced airflow. Is it that big of a deal? If anyone has any insight on that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

joegold said:
I ordered mine through NewEgg.ca.
Not really a Canadian company.
They might not even be shipping from Canada.
But I think they have it worked out so that Revenue Canada treats it as if it's all happening in Canada.
Cost me $33.19 for the fan that Marty at Fractal recommended, and I was not charged any tax or duty or handling fees.
The only extra was for the longer bolts that the new fan needs.

So the one that was recommended to you was the IXP-34-08 at 10CFM?

If so I might give that one a try as it seems like one of the only options other than keeping the stock fan in there. I would think the difference in airflow wouldn't make that much of a difference but I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom