Adventures in fan replacement! IXP-34-16/12/8 and FD-FAN-60

Dpoirier said:
SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm
6/32 - 1.25" screws - Home Depot
#60 "O" rings - Home Depot
Has anyone in Canada been able to locate a source for the SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm fan? The newegg.ca site (newegg.com's evil Canadian twin) shows it as "deactivated", meaning "searching for a new supplier or it has reached the end of its product life cycle and will no longer be available at all". The only two SilenX fans that are currently available at newegg.ca are the IXP-34-16 (too noisy at 16 dB?) and the IXP-34-08 (not enough flow at 10cfm?)

I don't know if the US has a regular supply of these fans, or if it's just the old stock getting slowly sold off...

Any opinions on the 10cfm model? At 8 dB, it's appealing, but not if it has any chance of shortening the Axe-FX life expectancy... still, I'm trying to find a Canadian source for the IXP-34-12 ...

Thanks,
Daniel

Hey Daniel, just went to the NewEgg site in US and they still have the fan....can't you just order it from them?

Baracus said:
joegold said:
I ordered mine through NewEgg.ca.
Not really a Canadian company.
They might not even be shipping from Canada.
But I think they have it worked out so that Revenue Canada treats it as if it's all happening in Canada.
Cost me $33.19 for the fan that Marty at Fractal recommended, and I was not charged any tax or duty or handling fees.
The only extra was for the longer bolts that the new fan needs.

So the one that was recommended to you was the IXP-34-08 at 10CFM?

If so I might give that one a try as it seems like one of the only options other than keeping the stock fan in there. I would think the difference in airflow wouldn't make that much of a difference but I'm not sure.

This is the one that was recommended by Marty.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191004&Tpk=IXP-34-12
But that's a newegg.com url, not newegg.ca.

Baracus said:
joegold said:
This is the one that was recommended by Marty.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191004&Tpk=IXP-34-12
But that's a newegg.com url, not newegg.ca.

That's the one I wanted but can't get anymore - out of stock or discontinued everywhere now in Canada. I'll look into the other one.

Thanks for the info!

Sorry. Guess I haven't been following this thread closely enough.
If I was getting ready now to replace the fan in my Ultra, especially if it was still under warranty, I'd email Fractal support and see what they suggest.

joegold said:
Sorry. Guess I haven't been following this thread closely enough.
If I was getting ready now to replace the fan in my Ultra, especially if it was still under warranty, I'd email Fractal support and see what they suggest.

No problem. I'll do that. Thanks.

Just wanted to say I got the IXP 12 in the mail today, and thanks to the great directions and hints here I had mine installed in no time! It's so quiet I had to check to see if it was actually blowing air.

PS I was too cheap to use #60 O rings (they cost more), so I bought some tiny metal and plastic washers and they seem to work great.

Are you replacing the original fan with a silenX?

Maybe things have changed in the last year but when I did research for a new computer and tried a lot of different fans, from the tests those were supposed to be pretty crappy, they were advertised to have very high CFM and were among the most expensive ones but the real tests showed they were one of the worst in the market.

Maybe this doesn't happen with this particular model.

I wonder what fan I have in my axefx? with which one does G66 replaces the original?

Thanks

The difficulty is the size.
There aren't many 60mm "silent" fans. I would love if Nexus or Noctua made one in that size, but I'm guessing the market is simply too small.

By comparison with the stock fan, the SilenX 12 is great. I honestly don't think about it anymore and I have at least one Axe-Fx on almost 24/7.

I believe G66 uses the SilenX 12 as well.

Here are a couple from brands that are supposed to put out models true to the specs

Papst 612 N/2GML http://www.ichbinleise.de/Luefter/Papst/Papst-Luefter-60mm/Papst-Luefter-612-N-2GML::49.html
Scythe miniKaze 6mm http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12454

I haven't seen tests with these fans but their "bigger" models are true to their specs.

Again I haven't seen tests for this particular SilenX either, but they have a reputation for performing very poorly.

Here is an example from other SilenX fans.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2641543&postcount=3

This got me a little worried about how good my axe is being cooled. Are these fans recommended by fractal? What's their opinion on this?

It's true that 60mm fans are hard to find but I think I would feel safer with a Scythe fan based on SilenX reputation.

I tried a lot of fans for my computer and the Scythe and Zalman gave me the best performace, lower noise and lower temperatures and higher overclocking

These are also supposed to be very good but maybe extremelly hard to find (SANYO DENKI) http://www.sanyodenki.co.jp/en/news/2007/20070328_sanace6080_e.html

By all means, try out some different fans and let us know! That's basically what I was doing with the first post in this thread. :)

If those specs are accurate though, the 19dBA ratings on the first two you linked are the reason why I wouldn't opt for them, speaking very much just for myself. I'm aware of the reputation for SilenX for case fans. Over about two years, the 12dBA-rated SilenX is what most Axe-Fx owners have settled on, so that's why it's the default recommendation. If there's something better out there, I'm all ears!

Those Sanyo Denki fans are interesting... never seen 'em before. But, I'd wager from the images that they're too tall to fit inside the Axe-Fx. (Not to mention the 66dBA rating! :shock: )

oops.. sorry I didn't saw that noise rating on the SANYO :eek:

So from what I gather noise is the most important factor here?

Maybe I'll give a shot at other fans, my main concern here is temperature.. but I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge or tools to make reliable tests of all the fans. My comments are based on the reputation the silenX fans have. Maybe this model lives up to the CFM rating it has, I don't know.

Anyway thanks for your effort.

If I ever try any other fan I'll report any findings

I just put in an IXP-34-12 today - my music gear is at one end of the living room and the Axe was way too noisy to leave on unless music was playing. The difference is dramatic - I can still hear the fan if I get my head within about 6 inches, but it's barely audible. My refrigerator on the other side of the house and my Macbook fan are both significantly louder.

Installation went smoothly - I used eight #60 rubber O-rings and the 6/32x1.25" screws, and put strips of plumber's tape along the edges of the box before resealing it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed pictures, advice, and experimental results!

Dpoirier said:
SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm
6/32 - 1.25" screws - Home Depot
#60 "O" rings - Home Depot
Has anyone in Canada been able to locate a source for the SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm fan? The newegg.ca site (newegg.com's evil Canadian twin) shows it as "deactivated", meaning "searching for a new supplier or it has reached the end of its product life cycle and will no longer be available at all". The only two SilenX fans that are currently available at newegg.ca are the IXP-34-16 (too noisy at 16 dB?) and the IXP-34-08 (not enough flow at 10cfm?)

I don't know if the US has a regular supply of these fans, or if it's just the old stock getting slowly sold off...

Any opinions on the 10cfm model? At 8 dB, it's appealing, but not if it has any chance of shortening the Axe-FX life expectancy... still, I'm trying to find a Canadian source for the IXP-34-12 ...

Thanks,
Daniel

just about to order one

http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=2-1164&q=IXP-34

Thanks for the NCIX link... I had been trying for a long time to find a source in Canada. Just ordered one.

Just got finished changing mine a few minutes ago. That was 15 minutes I wish I had invested a year ago! Nice and quiet now... until I start playing. :lol:

vo.van said:
Dpoirier said:
Thanks for the NCIX link... I had been trying for a long time to find a source in Canada. Just ordered one.
You are welcome. Today's special - 5$ for delivery :)
What?!!?!!! I ordered it today, and was chaged $10 for shipping!!! Not a big deal though...

Wow! Just got my ultra, and the stock fan sounds about halfway between a shelf full of cheap external hard enclosures and a jet engine!!

Everything else about it seems so quality, but the fan's downright embarrassing...

Ordering the IXP 12 off newegg right now!

JustinAiken said:
Wow! Just got my ultra, and the stock fan sounds about halfway between a shelf full of cheap external hard enclosures and a jet engine!!

Everything else about it seems so quality, but the fan's downright embarrassing...

Ordering the IXP 12 off newegg right now!

It might happen, yeah.
I got my Ultra with very silent fan but in last few days it became quite loud so I needed new one.
It came this morning and I just replaced it (had some problems to open the chassis tho but it's all good now),
it's very silent and works smoothly, Noise Blocker XR1.

Back
Top Bottom