Adventures in Accuracy

I don't know. You can't (or at least shouldn't) do impedance interaction in the cab/IR sections since IRs are linear and the impedance interaction is a nonlinear process.
I agree, it’s a terrible way of doing things. A certain rep said:

“To get closer, try using the Fender IRs....Currently the 3rd party IRs don't have a variable speaker impedance curve, which can affect the outcome. This is coming in a future update”

I asked a few questions about how this was handled but wasn’t really given a straight answer so not sure if they’ve done something weird. That response seems to make it sound like the included IR’s have some extra interactions on them.

I agree, it’s a terrible way of doing things. A certain rep said:

“To get closer, try using the Fender IRs....Currently the 3rd party IRs don't have a variable speaker impedance curve, which can affect the outcome. This is coming in a future update”

I asked a few questions about how this was handled but wasn’t really given a straight answer so not sure if they’ve done something weird. That response seems to make it sound like the included IR’s have some extra interactions on them.
That's what's happening. The amps are modeled using a resistive load!!!

Here's the same comparison from before but using a resistive load for the Axe-Fx speaker impedance curve:

deluxe_reverb_vs_axefx_res_load.PNG

The yellow and blue traces are the Axe-Fx.

That's what's happening. The amps are modeled using a resistive load!!!

Here's the same comparison from before but using a resistive load for the Axe-Fx speaker impedance curve:

View attachment 130286

The yellow and blue traces are the Axe-Fx.
Oh dear. Have they done this for all the amp models? No idea how they can possibly expect their IR’s to have the right interactions for every combination of amp and cab 🤦🏻‍♂️

I noticed that Amplitube has some models that seem to be modelled with a resistive load. Their Triple Crown sounded flat, when I set the Fractal model to a resistive load they sounded much more similar. I would expect better from both companies who should be well aware of why this is a bad approach….

Oh dear. Have they done this for all the amp models? No idea how they can possibly expect their IR’s to have the right interactions for every combination of amp and cab 🤦🏻‍♂️

I noticed that Amplitube has some models that seem to be modelled with a resistive load. Their Triple Crown sounded flat, when I set the Fractal model to a resistive load they sounded much more similar. I would expect better from both companies who should be well aware of why this is a bad approach….

Yes, it appears that way. I tested several more amps and they all exhibited the same behavior.

Furthermore it appears that the power amp "modeling" is simply a waveshaper (soft clipper) on the output.

Yes, it appears that way. I tested several more amps and they all exhibited the same behavior.

Furthermore it appears that the power amp "modeling" is simply a waveshaper (soft clipper) on the output.
If that’s their approach to modelling, it’s a combination of incompetence, laziness and a lack of respect for their customers. Serious number of red flags across their approach and implementation.

it’s a shame. They got me with the EVH Stealth and all the officially licensed stuff. It’s my favourite amp. But the red channel is still bugged and doesn’t sound very good.
Can’t return mine anymore.
Still hoping for the Stealth being in the fractal at some point in the near future.

it’s a shame. They got me with the EVH Stealth and all the officially licensed stuff. It’s my favourite amp. But the red channel is still bugged and doesn’t sound very good.
Can’t return mine anymore.
Still hoping for the Stealth being in the fractal at some point in the near future.
Adding the EVH Stealth in the next firmware would be a hilarious Fender troll.

Adding the EVH Stealth in the next firmware would be a hilarious Fender troll.
It might have already been done.

300px-Something_of_a_Scientist.jpg

Back
Top Bottom