Advanced Parameters

Understood. Just trying to get a feel for what people have experienced. With 21 advanced amp parameters staring me in the face, I don't want to start chasing my tail.
I do not mess with them..... can dig yourself a big hole, and cause more trouble than it's worth :(

So it sounds like the Sag, B+ and Damp parameters all do roughly the same thing.
They have similarities, but they're not the same. Sag determines how much the virtual "power supply" sags, voltage-wise, when the power amp sim gets hit hard. B+ Time Constant determines how fast that sag takes place. Damp sets the amount of negative feedback in the power amp sim. Each of these parameters can "tighten" or "loosen" the sound, but they don't do it in the same way, and they don't sound the same.

I might advise that if you don't know what advanced parameters are supposed to do that you don't dismiss them as having "a limited effect" until you explore their interactive relationships with other parameters, especially the MASTER.
+1. Many of the deeper parameters don't really wake up unless you're hitting the power amp sim hard, and that means high Master Volume.

They have similarities, but they're not the same. Sag determines how much the virtual "power supply" sags, voltage-wise, when the power amp sim gets hit hard. B+ Time Constant determines how fast that sag takes place. Damp sets the amount of negative feedback in the power amp sim. Each of these parameters can "tighten" or "loosen" the sound, but they don't do it in the same way, and they don't sound the same.
The "sag" effect is a compression of the signal. The SAG control determines how much and the B+ determines the attack time before the compression sets in.
More or less they also seem to have a bit of influence on the EQ of the signal.

Jens

A few years back, I started digging into tube amp designs and built a few from scratch (unfortunately, we did not learn much about this in my EE courses since it was considered ancient technology). So I think I understand the purpose of the advanced parameters that FAS has presented to the user. It's almost like they created a simplified SPICE model of the amps and exposed many of the parameters to the user. The purpose of this thread was to see which of the 21 parameters will give me the most bang for the effort. For example, many people may find that the sag gives the best tonal improvement and you can leave the B+ time constant and negative feedback level alone if you want to tighten or loosen your sound.

BTW, thanks to everyone for the good feedback, it gives me a good idea of where to start.

Thanks but the credit should go to Paul, he's the one who made it. Don't know why he did not post it.

Jens

Back
Top Bottom