ADA MP-1, + 3-TUBE MOD, MOD 4 MARKI, & THE MOD 4MARKII

• Total voters
@Budha (GAMORA)
Use the editor and load the patch.

adamp1.PNG

GAMERA207 said:
Mr. Griffin,

I will address your post in reverse.

thanks for being on board with the wish of wanting to have a MP-1 model....!!!
I have no doubt about me archiving my MP-1 after getting my Ultra........one of my main reasons for
having a AXE-FX is being able to have all of that models (AMPS) under one unit...for reasons that i need them for...... :ugeek: :lol: :D :cool: :eek:

Now as I have experianced & even as you've said the AXE-FX does come close....close---no cigar...!

Well as far as when I get my Ultra...I dont think I'll be able to archive my MP-1 untill the AXE-FX's MP-1 model is able to do what just like my Original MP-1.

I've been using an ADA MP-1 for just over 20 years & havent been able to find anything that will do
exactly what it does....kudos to you for finding amps that have been able to do that magic for you.

So till The dream becomes reality...I'll be wishing.....

BUDHA

Seriously, post some of your tones somewhere (wav files as opposed to mp3's - otherwise some mojo will get lost - and make sure you tell us what mike etc you use as a lot can get lost in translation between the cab, your ears and a mike), and we'll see if it can be matched...if it can't, based on what you say, you probably do not want an axe-fx!!! I really think it can be matched, but without reference....(btw make sure it is 100% dry...no fx etc - that can drastically change the character)

The MP-1 is VERY simple in actual control terms. Bass (180Hz) Mid(600Hz) Treb(1.6kHz) and presence(3Khz). That can be acheived with PEQ/GEQ VERY easily (with even more control - the MP-1 is in 2dB increments!!!) and the EQ is post distortion on the MP-1.

The only difference is the distorion character on the Voicing(), Overdrive1, Overdrive2 and Master Gain. The voicings are "clean(tube)" "Dist(Tube)" and "SS"....overdrive1 is pre-tube level...a filter can acheive that before the amp block...and Overdrive2 is actual gain, the master is post tube, pre-eq gain.

So in order to acheive an ADA MP-1, you just need to match the 3 voicings to an existing amps, use a filter before the amp, a PEQ block after...job done.

Again I wouldn't say no to an MP-1, but I just think it is pretty much already there...and as good as the MP-1 is, here are better tones to be had out of the AxeFX...

Now a HUGE question. What do you use your MP-1 through (power amp and speaker cab) because that will make up a HUGE part of the sound you get.

And now for something rather amusing....from my MP-1 manual :lol: (which made me laugh coz it sounds like crap) "When using the MP-1 direct into a PA or recording console and using distorted tones it :lol: maybe :lol: necessary to use an outboard EQ to :lol: "emulate" :lol: the tone of a guitar speaker cabinet. The following curve may help:+4dB@160hz, -2dB@250Hz,-2dB@1kHz,+2dB@1.6Khz,-4dB@2.5kHz,+4db@4khz,-8db@6.3kHz). If your EQ has less bands concentrate on the following, in order of importance: roll off past 4Khz, notch at 2.5kHz and a boost at 1.6kHz. A three band parametric in conjuction with most mixing board EQ's will get the basic curve."

You heard it right here...cab sims CAN be created using an EQ. Yeah right - thank god for cabinet sims in the AxeFX! :lol:

FWIW, I've fixed the routing and uploaded new versions. Be aware the reverb block is bypassed because it's not something I use very often.

I'm on the fence here. I LOVED the MP-1 during its day. I used two of them for years. But at the time, if I recall correctly, it was the only midi programmable tube preamp on the market when it was introduced. And in a single rack space to boot. It sounded good, was versatile, programmable, and used 1 space of real estate. What was not to love? I tried other preamps I thought sounded better (especially the Kasha Rockmod II), but I needed midi programmability.

I eventually replaced it with a Triaxis. I never missed the MP-1 after that. And now, I'm replacing the Triaxis with the Axe-FX. I don't think I will miss the Triaxis. I guess the best I can offer is that I liked the MP-1 more than several of the amp models currently in the Axe-FX. But I don't know if an MP-1 model would offer anything that isn't available in other existing models. Its tone was only part of why I used it. Its programmability was a major factor, but is no longer an issue.

Mr. Griffin,

Yes I will post a sound clip for you to hear.....

Totally understandable reguarding the translation issues...which is why my wish in it's minimal
hopings would be for just a basic MP-1
.....knowing good & well that Axe-Fx will do anything that
my effect unit (ART SGX-2000) can do but even better. As far as the power amp & speakers go
, for the last 7 years I've been using studio monitors (Full range,Flat response)...in the last year and a half I've been using a Bose L1 Model II with a ToneMatch AudioEngine ...(Mr. if you've never heard one of these Bose units...man...!!! go & try one Bro.....holys***....!!! the reason for using one is size, clearity, range, portablity y& flexablity....due to the fact that I also run a Roland VG-99 (Mr.Griffin give on a try....it's the ony other unit out there that is even in the same comparable realm of an Axe-Fx.......(but on a totally different level, give one a try...!) ...it's not some thing that will ever make anyone get rid of an Axe-Fx...it's some thing totally different but kinda the same but not...enough of that... I pretty much run everything dry...no reverb,chorus, or effects like that (if you get my meaning)...I use the ART for post processing to shape and mold the the remainder of the sounds character. Which I'm positive the Axe will do flawlessly....

My real issue of my sound is only in the distortion realm, because the way I tweek it is just so detailed.

Thankx for the explaination of the MP-1 controls and what they represent.

Oh I agree there are tons of other tones on the Axe that are superb to me such as the...
Fender Vibroverb(Brownface), Trainwreck(Wrecker 1), Vox AC30TB(top boost) and many others which make the Unit Invaluble (please forgive my spelling)..... :ugeek:.....as far I'm concerned.

Mr Griffin,
once again it's a pleasure conversing with you reguarding this issue.
I'll be in touch........ BUDHA

Are you using somekind of speaker sim in the art unit (surely you must be...)??? As I said it will be these kind of things that will have a huge impact on your tones.

I do have a VG-99, and use it only for the guitar sims and alternate tunings, the rest of it did't impress me. Mostly though it is just my guitar straight into the axefx and then into a power amp (Rocktron Velocity300) and a 1960A stereo Marshall cab. 2xVerve 12MA's are on the cards, or atomic wedgies for an eventual swith to FRFR. I found the Bose gear a bit lacking with no balls, but I guess that depends on the style of music too....

Anyway back on topic, As I said, wait until you get your AxeFX, learn it and you will be in tone heaven. Your MP-1 will get dusty...with or without an MP-1 model!

YES I am...to the sim question....

As for the VG-99, the same reason you use it for is exactly the reason I mainly use it....
The other reason for wanting to use an Axe-Fx is being able to use it with my sound & on top of that to use the VG-99 (guitar sims) & still run it thru an additional Axe-Fx (or the same unit) & mix the two sounds in the Bose unit...(I understand I do need to experiment in these circumstances, for instance there are certain character traits in the browns sound that I would like to try to mix into my current sound without removing any of my current tones quailities)...
What you,ve said about the Bose is true.....! For me In my set up it's really there for it's sound dispersion quaility)...I would get all the balls I need from the MP-1 + Vg-99 (also the Axe-fx to replace my current rack) when I get mine.

This for this is the primary reason for wanting a MP-1 model in the unit instead of assembling other exffect blocks in an atempt to make one....this why if I need to change some thing in the sound I wouldnt need to go thru all of the units in the effect blocks to acchevie my goal.

True I would want my current rack to collect dust & maybe even become an end table once I reach my nirvana...!

Once again Prof. Griff, it's a pleasure conversing with you...i'll get the sound clips up at the end of this week end.

Thankx, BUDHA

I had an MP2 up until last week. I had to sell it to buy my Axe FX standard (it'll be here Wednesday). I'm happy to see a topic like this. I loved my MP2.

I know I'll love the Axe FX even more.

steadystate said:
I'm on the fence here. I LOVED the MP-1 during its day. I used two of them for years. But at the time, if I recall correctly, it was the only midi programmable tube preamp on the market when it was introduced. And in a single rack space to boot. It sounded good, was versatile, programmable, and used 1 space of real estate. What was not to love? I tried other preamps I thought sounded better (especially the Kasha Rockmod II), but I needed midi programmability.

I eventually replaced it with a Triaxis. I never missed the MP-1 after that. And now, I'm replacing the Triaxis with the Axe-FX. I don't think I will miss the Triaxis. I guess the best I can offer is that I liked the MP-1 more than several of the amp models currently in the Axe-FX. But I don't know if an MP-1 model would offer anything that isn't available in other existing models. Its tone was only part of why I used it. Its programmability was a major factor, but is no longer an issue.

This is exactly the progression I've gone through. I haven't removed the Triaxis from my rack yet, as I'm still copying my "go-to" tones, but I see the day coming.

We all have different preferences of course, but the Triaxis provided the tones I'd always wanted but never got out of the MP-1. So far the Axe is doing most of that. The new tones available are a good trade for anything I may not be able to recreate from the TA, if in fact there will be anything.

Bumping this thread - I still use my Mod4MkII along with the AxeFX because I just haven't been able to squeak the same tones out of the Axe. If Cliff could model it, I could ditch the MP-1's altogether. PLEASE CLIFF, PLEASE consider this! I'll buy a 2nd Ultra for my backup rig if you do, I promise!!! :D

I voted yes but I have to agree with some posters,
AxeFx is already capable of creating same or similar sounds as with MP-1.

I hope "the lord" shall hear your prayers tho. ;)

Griffin said:
The only difference is the distorion character on the Voicing(), Overdrive1, Overdrive2 and Master Gain. The voicings are "clean(tube)" "Dist(Tube)" and "SS"....overdrive1 is pre-tube level...a filter can acheive that before the amp block...and Overdrive2 is actual gain, the master is post tube, pre-eq gain.

So in order to acheive an ADA MP-1, you just need to match the 3 voicings to an existing amps, use a filter before the amp, a PEQ block after...job done.

Just a clarification if anyone cares:

The Master on the MP-1 has NO (= zero) effect on tone...it ONLY controls how loud (or quiet) a given patch is. It's purpose is to be able to level your patches easily.

BTW...DOJO...do you think mine could be duplicated in the Axe? It IS indeed unique to the ADAdepot 3TM's :twisted:

You should know...Mr. expensive 12ax7's :lol: :lol: :lol:

-<MACHINE>- said:
Griffin said:

Just a clarification if anyone cares:

The Master on the MP-1 has NO (= zero) effect on tone...it ONLY controls how loud (or quiet) a given patch is. It's purpose is to be able to level your patches easily.

BTW...DOJO...do you think mine could be duplicated in the Axe? It IS indeed unique to the ADAdepot 3TM's :twisted:

You should know...Mr. expensive 12ax7's :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant find my notes or soundclips so you have to send it back to me, MR LANGNER! It is unique but I think everything was improved dramatically by Hairston and MJMP. + plus all the newer stuff done by MJMP. I have found the D16 replacement and the new noise mod (in conjunction with the MDRT) are essential now in the 3TM tone. Check adadepot - There is a 3TM comparison with and without the MDRT.
btw - You got a 30% discount from what I usually charge. :D
You should have seen what I charged the last guy to to a 3.666mod on his mp-1. (with all the extras )

Yummy.J.Mangosteen said:
Mmmmmmmmmm.... interesting exchange here........ some MP1 mods out there? Can do in Axe FX ???
Yes. There are some really good presets here already. For me and my personal taste I have to sit and devote some serious time. Not like "Machine" who is a trust fund baby and sits around doing nothing while he should be making 3TM patches. :p :D

GuitarDojo said:
Yummy.J.Mangosteen said:
Mmmmmmmmmm.... interesting exchange here........ some MP1 mods out there? Can do in Axe FX ???
Yes. There are some really good presets here already. For me and my personal taste I have to sit and devote some serious time. Not like "Machine" who is a trust fund baby and sits around doing nothing while he should be making 3TM patches. :p :D
Oh no you di'nt...where's Duke and his rubber thingy when ya need him.

GuitarDojo said:
I cant find my notes or soundclips so you have to send it back to me, MR LANGNER! It is unique but I think everything was improved dramatically by Hairston and MJMP. + plus all the newer stuff done by MJMP. I have found the D16 replacement and the new noise mod (in conjunction with the MDRT) are essential now in the 3TM tone. Check adadepot - There is a 3TM comparison with and without the MDRT.
btw - You got a 30% discount from what I usually charge. :D
You should have seen what I charged the last guy to to a 3.666mod on his mp-1. (with all the extras )
Oh man, your making me type more than I want to now as well?!?!!?

The 3TM boards created by HairySack aka HairyBag aka Hairston and MJMP (The ADA version) were done well prior to the one Todd released in ca. 2003 . The ADA ver. was/is based off of Todd's original design from back in the 90's. The one I have (ca. 2003 ver.) is the one they tweaked endlessly...remember all the flack Mark (UltimateTone) took for how long it took. I have both vers. - and the Langner ver. IMO is hands down the better unit. The ADA ver. almost sounds dull in comparison (harmonic content wise). Maybe I just don't like the eq points (the ADA ver. has the EQ mod ) as much...if that even has anything to do with it??? It's just not as "chimey". It's also not as tight. The ADA ver. definitely has as much and probably more distortion...it just doesn't have that "richness' to it.

The real question for you though...is: WTF did you give me a 30% discount on?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom