AD30 Clean into a real Matchless Cab (Worship stuff)

james...

Experienced
So I have an actual AD30 head and this was my test to see how the model sounded "mixed."

Since I play a lot at church I was really excited when this model came out. I decided to run it into a Matchless 2x12 I have and do a track with it.

My review of the model is that it gets an A+. Sounds probably better than my actual amp to be honest. It nails the tone, muddiness and all. I think I'm gonna sell my real one.

I am LOVING this tone!! I'm thinking about jumping back into the AxeFX world (used to have an Ultra) and it's so good to see demos of this kind of playing (as I play at my church as well, same kinda Hillsong/Jesus Culture stuff). Well done!

How are you amplifying the cab, though? Are you still running the power amp sim on? And are you just using an actual SM57 to mic it up?

Very nice sound. I'm also a church player, so I'd love to know more details of the patch, your effects are spot on. Right now I use the AC-30TB, Matchless, and Super Reverb amps for my church stuff, but I'm clearly going to need to check this out.

Sounds really good.
Also every now and then you turn a certain way and the top on that Carvin just pops, beautiful top on that guitar!

John

So I have an actual AD30 head and this was my test to see how the model sounded "mixed."

Since I play a lot at church I was really excited when this model came out. I decided to run it into a Matchless 2x12 I have and do a track with it.

My review of the model is that it gets an A+. Sounds probably better than my actual amp to be honest. It nails the tone, muddiness and all. I think I'm gonna sell my real one.

Beautiful tone, I would love to have this patch if you're willing to share.

Yes man, this sounds incredible! One of my favorite Hillsong tunes too. I play at my church too and the AD30 blew my mind last week (Carr [now FAS Class A]) blew my mind too. This really sounds fantastic!

I'll try to upload the patch if I can find it. I also have a direct version.

For that recording I used a Crown Power amp and fed it directly into the combo. Just used a 57 to mic the cab. Nothing special.

I play Hillsong style worship also. Just retooled my patches with the Matchless DC-30 model last week. I'm pretty pleased with the results, but like the tone and texture you've come up with. Would love to have a look at your patch to compare. Would be great if you don't mind sharing.

I'll try to upload the patch if I can find it. I also have a direct version.

For that recording I used a Crown Power amp and fed it directly into the combo. Just used a 57 to mic the cab. Nothing special.

I'd love to have a copy of the direct version you mention, if you are willing to share it. It is a great worship patch.

what's up with the church playing? What does that job description mean? :b

A lot of churches have a live band play a set of 2-5 songs at the start of a service to set the tone. It serves the purpose of focusing the congregation in on God. Being a player in a church band requires a little more flexibility than your usual covers band. In that the format of the songs isn't as locked down as you'd like. The lead singer (worship leader) is often given the ability to re-arrange and re-interpret the song on the fly.

Also you are often dealing with a much wider range of skill levels than in a traditional band, as all (most?) the people on stage, and behind the mixing desk are volunteers. So you get professionals with 20 years of stage experience playing next to someone that knows 5 chords and doesn't own a tuner yet. In terms of music it's fairly pop/mainstream as that appeals to a wide audience. The use of delays and chimey guitar sounds is very prevalent. Although finally some non-trival use of synths and keyboards is appearing in the last few years.

Sometimes the band will segue into a "free worship" section of a song, which is usually dynamic and improvised at a melody and lyrics level. The main thing however is just being sensitive to whats going on around you. e.g. if the previous song ended with a quiet tail and the next song has a hammer down intro... sometimes you have to come up with a way of starting that without going all in. Conversely sometimes things call for raised dynamics and leading out with a strong riff.

I find that unless you have a larger team with more than one electric, the guitar is going to be mostly rhythm. Ideally lead parts are keep to well defined sections.

My $.02

PS dunno about other churches but we often have to play any given song in a variety of keys. Keeps you on your toes :-|

Last edited:
Thanks man! That cleared it for me! We don't really do that here in Denmark. Well maybe in some of the alternative churches :)

A lot of churches have a live band play a set of 2-5 songs at the start of a service to set the tone. It serves the purpose of focusing the congregation in on God. Being a player in a church band requires a little more flexibility than your usual covers band. In that the format of the songs isn't as locked down as you'd like. The lead singer (worship leader) is often given the ability to re-arrange and re-interpret the song on the fly.

Also you are often dealing with a much wider range of skill levels than in a traditional band, as all (most?) the people on stage, and behind the mixing desk are volunteers. So you get professionals with 20 years of stage experience playing next to someone that knows 5 chords and doesn't own a tuner yet. In terms of music it's fairly pop/mainstream as that appeals to a wide audience. The use of delays and chimey guitar sounds is very prevalent. Although finally some non-trival use of synths and keyboards is appearing in the last few years.

Sometimes the band will segue into a "free worship" section of a song, which is usually dynamic and improvised at a melody and lyrics level. The main thing however is just being sensitive to whats going on around you. e.g. if the previous song ended with a quiet tail and the next song has a hammer down intro... sometimes you have to come up with a way of starting that without going all in. Conversely sometimes things call for raised dynamics and leading out with a strong riff.

I find that unless you have a larger team with more than one electric, the guitar is going to be mostly rhythm. Ideally lead parts are keep to well defined sections.

My $.02

PS dunno about other churches but we often have to play any given song in a variety of keys. Keeps you on your toes :-|

That's about as strong of a general description as I've heard. There are certain ways that playing in church challenges me- listening to mood, and interacting with the audience- and other ways that it doesn't- technique, perhaps, takes a backseat- but I think it's been good for my playing overall. It's a very different way of approaching the instrument.

Back
Top Bottom