Active IEM

andyp13

Power User
hi
Has anyone used the Active IEM such as the ACS Live?
Thinking about getting some but can't find any reviews....

Also advice on wireless systems as if I get the ACS most of my budget will be blown so Sehnniser and sure systems will be out.
Has anyone tried the Trantec S4.16? Again been told they are good but I can't find any reviews etc.

Andy

Hi, I did use some on a tour but could not get away with them due to the isolation.
Also two of the bands I play with play in small venues and rely on backline only, so the IEM's would be great for my vocals but I would struggle to hear my guitar and the rest of the band etc...this is my reason for considering the ACS with the Active ambiance - despite the high price.

Interesting concept these ACS Live and IEMs

The price is high though like you said.
My band use all IEMs, we get over the isolation problem by mounting two condensor mics on the top of our PA speaker stacks, we run the out of phase with the PA outputs and feed them back to the IEMs via the mixing desk.

Ambient sounds sorted - Also because of the Stereo image produced by the two mics you can detect where the heckling is coming from :D

Also regarding the Wireless Systems, 3 of us these:-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_g2.htm

My bassist and I share a transmitter and achieve seperate mixes using the "focus" mode of the receiver.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_g2_bundle_838_mhz.htm

Great if you can get a band-mate to chip in to buy the above bundle.

<Note: Just make sure you get the correct frequencies for the UK Market>

Interesting concept these ACS Live and IEMs

The price is high though like you said.
My band use all IEMs, we get over the isolation problem by mounting two condensor mics on the top of our PA speaker stacks, we run the out of phase with the PA outputs and feed them back to the IEMs via the mixing desk.

Ambient sounds sorted - Also because of the Stereo image produced by the two mics you can detect where the heckling is coming from :D

Also regarding the Wireless Systems, 3 of us these:-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_g2.htm

My bassist and I share a transmitter and achieve seperate mixes using the "focus" mode of the receiver.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_mei_1000_g2_bundle_838_mhz.htm

Great if you can get a band-mate to chip in to buy the above bundle.

<Note: Just make sure you get the correct frequencies for the UK Market>

Is the frequency OK with the LD MEI1000's do you get much interference?
Someone suggested I go for Chan 38 (which I require a licence for) and also to try the Trantec S4.16 IEM......
Does anyone have any info on this? I cant find any reviews etc.......

The ACS Live are not expensive when compared to the overall market.. actually quite reasonable @ $700.
If you want expensive, look at 1964 Audio's A12's ($1999) or JH Audios Layla's ($2500).

If you are going IEM, and to have it work for you, IME you need: -
  • Multiple driver IEM's (preferably custom fit) to get instrument separation, clarity and definition
  • STEREO IEM feeds to assist with the 3D spatial image and separation,
  • Control your own IEM mix or have a dedicated monitor engineer.
  • If wireless, then quality wireless system (PSM900/Senn G3 or equivalent) to match quality of other components
I run 1964 Ears Qi's (quad drivers) and have a Senn G3 IEM wireless rig. My current band has an X32 Producer console that sits in a rack on stage, along with the IEM transmitters. Power amps are housed in a separate rack. Whether we use the house PA or our own, everything (drums, bass, guitars, vocals, etc) is connected the same way - either DI or mic'd - with splits going to FOH as needed, and IMPORTANTLY, ALWAYS connected at every gig!!

We use a variety of iOS/Android devices that connect via a router to control our own stereo IEM mixes (using the X32Q app) and FOH when not using a House-provided PA system. We have backline amps, but whether we play a large venue with provided FOH/PA or a small venue like a Private Party - our IEM mix is consistent, and we adjust for FOH as needed. Obviously, one doesn't need lots of guitar. bass or drums in a tiny venue, so while mic'ed/DI'd, they may or may not be present at FOH, but they ARE ALWAYS hooked up for consistent monitoring. NO stage wedges in use.

Things (wireless regs) may differ in the UK tho'.. the above is US specific.

UPDATE: We tried the ambient mic thing... found it caused more issues than it resolved, and dropped it. One simply needs to get used to using IEM's.. and there are many ways other than what I outlined above to make that happen. Like the Axe, quality gear isn't cheap.. and I've seen plenty of guitarists who simply cannot adjust to the "recorded" sound versus the amp-in-the-room they are used to hearing on stage.
Many never adjust...

Last edited:
I don't really have a choice about the Active ambience (which are little microphones in each ear) as two of the bands I play in don't mic up so I will have nothing but my vocals through the in ears, so I will need the ACS IEM to be able to feed the ambience in etc.
The ACS IEM I am going to set have 3 drivers. I would love to hear from someone who uses them (with the live option) as again there are no reviews anywhere ☹️
I still can't find any info on the Trantec S4 system.

Is the frequency OK with the LD MEI1000's do you get much interference?
Someone suggested I go for Chan 38 (which I require a licence for) and also to try the Trantec S4.16 IEM......
Does anyone have any info on this? I cant find any reviews etc.......

Hi Andy,

We've not experienced any interference using the LD MEI1000's in the last 2 years we've been using them. There's loads of Frequencies and group options to change to very easily should this occur.

Hi Andy,

We've not experienced any interference using the LD MEI1000's in the last 2 years we've been using them. There's loads of Frequencies and group options to change to very easily should this occur.

Thanks for the info... IV now got it down to the LD1000, the T-Bone 200 or the Trantec S4
I'm leaning to the Trantec but just can not find one review on it .
Just noticed you are from sunny Blackpool, I'm gigging at the Pleasure beach next week 18th 19th and 20th I'm in the house band, and will be using an Axe fx with my newly aquired Matrix Q12

Thanks for the info... IV now got it down to the LD1000, the T-Bone 200 or the Trantec S4
I'm leaning to the Trantec but just can not find one review on it .
Just noticed you are from sunny Blackpool, I'm gigging at the Pleasure beach next week 18th 19th and 20th I'm in the house band, and will be using an Axe fx with my newly aquired Matrix Q12

Ah, Blackpool, yes I know it well. Many a Stag Night had up there. Luckily I'm from Blackwood in South Wales, it's a little less crazy down here!

Back
Top Bottom