acoustics

clarky

Axe-Master
ok so I know that the lil' black box is more conducive to electric players...
but I bet there's a fair few of you out there that have guitars with a hole in it....

right now I'm prepping to record the next DC Band album..
the first songs will arrive next week..
so in the mean time I re-stringing / setting up / giving some love all the guitars that are going to be used..
I started with the acoustics
a Tanglewood 12-string and a Washburn D21 6-string

I ain't played these guys for ages...
and oh my god.. I totally forgot how beautiful they are to play and what wonderful tone they have..
it's like a breath of fresh air..

so.. in this place of solid bodies..
I figured some folk may like to chat about something different...
that has a hole in it

My patch for my acoustic = "Acoustic Mojo" is pretty basic - Comp-->PEQ-->AMP(Tube Pre)-->Chorus-->Reverb. It really makes my Seagull S6 and Taka-12 String sound great. The Godin Spectrum SA is a little darker, so I use a 2nd version of Acoustic Mojo with tad less compression and a bit more presence. I feel naked when I have to play without the AX2 in the line. Usually at an open mic its just more than I want to carry, but live or in the studio this is my go-to patch for my acoustics.

I haven't used the axe fx with an acoustic yet, but I think I will soon. This new emerald X10 is begging to be recorded.

No need for compressor or tube pre. I just use a PEQ and some reverb, Sometimes some reverse delay. I play my Maton 12string mostly through the axe fx.

now you mention it... I've not tried my acoustic through the Axe...
I'll give it a go..

generally when I record acoustics, I record both the mic and the piezo

in the mix, the mic'd track is the principle part and is placed in the mix as if it were the only only acoustic..
the piezo is panned hard to the opposite side with a sample delay at around 300 samples to add a little stereo spread..

the mic'd acoustic gets a bit of compression and reverb...
the piezo is compressed hard and has a ton of reverb but is much much lower in the mix [it's there to add a little sparkle]
also.. in parallel I may add the tiniest hint of distortion to the mic'd acoustic..
it gives it a bit more substance in the mix.. and funnily enough, makes it sound even cleaner..

I'll most likely record the acoustic as usual but experiment with some tonal things in the Axe by reamping

I play my old Guild through the axe a lot, both live and in studio. I use the "Bill Acoustic" preset. Not sure if it that preset was actually meant for this purpose but I like it a lot.

The Axe really shines when it comes to acoustic guitars. Take your favorite, sweetest, most wonderful mic-recorded acoustic tone. Now plug in your favorite on-the-road acoustic, and tone-match it. You now have a live acoustic tone that other players only dream of.

generally when I record acoustics, I record both the mic and the piezo
When you create your acoustic tone match, try it with piezo only. If you're like many, you'll find the results surpass anything you've tried to accomplish mixing mic and piezo together, at least for live applications. Way less mucking about with mic/piezo blends, and hugely less feedback.

My acoustic preset is a tone match I made, with a mild dip around 7 kHz to snuff out that last little bit of piezo quack. In a dense mix, I actually bring that back up to cut through better.

live I never actually use an acoustic..
it's cos I can only really take two guitars with me so they'll be my V6's
it means I have to play my acoustic parts on a solid.. but it does the job fine..

studio is a whole different deal...
it means I can use anything and everything..
I love blending 6 and 12 strings for the strummy stuff..
sounds amazing..

live I never actually use an acoustic...
it means I have to play my acoustic parts on a solid...
Slap a piezo on one of those V's and do a tone match. I think you'll be surprised at how wooden and real it sounds. There's your live tone in spades.

That said, there is no perfect tonal substitute for a good acoustic with no mics, no pickups, nothin' but air between you and it.

I use mine with my acoustics on a regular basis. I mainly use reverb and compression since I have a Fishman Aura Spectrum for most of the tone shaping.

This thread makes me wonder if Cliff would ever model an acoustic amp--like possibly the Fishman Artist.

+1 for one (or more) acoustic amps.

I was actually playing around with the acoustic and my Axe-FX II for hours yesterday. Was trying to get a Dobro like tone out of my Maton and posted a thread to discuss it:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...g-resonator-dobro-style-sound-out-axe-fx.html

But it looks like I may have to forego the 'block method' and use a Dobro/Resonator IR to achieve what I want... :)

This thread makes me wonder if Cliff would ever model an acoustic amp--like possibly the Fishman Artist.
Could? No doubt. I wonder, though, whether it would be useful.

Acoustic amps aim to be flat. When they don't achieve "flat," it's usually got more to do with the speakers than with the circuitry, and that's an IR issue.

In the Axe-Fx, "flat" means no amp block at all. I already have that preset. :)

Could? No doubt. I wonder, though, whether it would be useful.

Acoustic amps aim to be flat. When they don't achieve "flat," it's usually got more to do with the speakers than with the circuitry, and that's an IR issue.

In the Axe-Fx, "flat" means no amp block at all. I already have that preset. :)

True. But there is a reason people prefer different acoustic amps--so obviously they aren't actually flat. Could be just the speakers like you say. I think for an upcoming "Mini Axe", an acoustic amp model could be a selling point--needed or not!

Back
Top Bottom