Acoustic Simulator first test

To me it does not sound like an acoustic guitar yet.

There is a thread somewhere by ccroyalsanders who tone matched an acoustic guitar. The patch still works very well since there is no amp block involved and thus the firmware changes do not have any effect.

I took it, switched the cab to the ultra res guitarbody IR, and don't need to lug my acoustic guitar to shows any more.

Not convincing imho. Just sounds like ultra bright magnetics. Are you using a multiband compressor? I've found that the MBC works wonders on improving IR-based acoustic sounds. And obviously a piezo pickup blended into the mix is a must have to get the right pick attack.

This turns into a thread hijack. My bad, sorry Nicolas!

Preset attached. You also need the attached IR (the Cab block links to it).
Preset consists of 2 scenes. Scene 1 is the emulated tone. Scene 2 is to amplify a real acoustic.

Scene 1 is a tweaked version of Cooper Carter/Larry Mitchell's "Acoustic" preset, with a cab/IR added for some resonance.
When using this live I tend to decrease the level of the bass frequencies in the GEQ block.

Attachments

• AcouSim.Acoustic ir !.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 269
  • gtrbody_ultrares.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 187
Works here ....

"Acousim" is the preset.
"Gtrbody" is the IR.

Check out the sound of this custom Acoustic Simulator IR im working on.

Please leave feedback on what would you hear could be improved. Very sorry for the input distortion when i strum hard.

I've never heard an acoustic that sounded like that. Not that it's a Bad Thing. I think you've found a good, useful character. But, it doesn't sound like an acoustic at all.

I think one thing that many people over look in trying to simulate an acoustic guitar is that the low end on a electric guitar sustains a lot longer. On an acoustic the low end dies out relatively quickly and is characteristic of an acoustic instrument. Even my JTV69 Variax seems to suffer this same issue. Perhaps a dynamic filter might be a step in the right direction.

I think it's a really cool sound with lots of potential. Keep working on it, and thanks for posting. Would love to hear it without the reverb. We could all hear better.

Check out the sound of this custom Acoustic Simulator IR im working on.

Please leave feedback on what would you hear could be improved.

Very sorry for the input distortion when i strum hard.

Thanks.!

I think one thing that many people over look in trying to simulate an acoustic guitar is that the low end on a electric guitar sustains a lot longer. On an acoustic the low end dies out relatively quickly and is characteristic of an acoustic instrument. Even my JTV69 Variax seems to suffer this same issue. Perhaps a dynamic filter might be a step in the right direction.
As I said: A multiband comp is the most important thing to creating a good acoustic sim.

The way to do it is with the Tone Match block. Play your acoustic into it for a while to get a reference response. Then play your electric into to get the user response. Match.

Back
Top Bottom