Acoustic Guitar Full Res IRs

I've been pondering this as well but think tone match must still be the best option.
I’d like to use tone match after some Full Res IRs, I have searched this afternoon for some tutorial on capturing an acoustic IR Full Res for AXE iii. Hope I can figure it out since I just bought the Turbo largely for this reason lol.

You could load full res room impulse responses but I don't know how you'd capture a full res IR of an acoustic guitar. Tone match works great though

You can tap on the bridge and record both piezo and room sound with a mic. Then you can use deconvolution software (voxengo is free) to extract the IR. After that, I would still as a tone match, I think

How would one go about capturing Full res IRs of Acoustic guitars? Has anybody done this yet?
Play the acoustic close mic'd as normal with tonematch to create an ir. Use tonematch with the mic at different spots in the room while playing to capture fullres?

I guess what I’m getting at, is that I thought I read that the longer irs would be good for Acoustic guitars. Wondering how to capture those specifically. Then use tone match to hone in even more. I’m in LA and gonna use a km54 with a 1073 if I can just figure out how to do this. Happy to share results.

Play the acoustic close mic'd as normal with tonematch to create an ir. Use tonematch with the mic at different spots in the room while playing to capture fullres?
An impulse response is the capture of a sine sweep or broadband noise in an area. Playing your acoustic guitar doesn't create a broadband sweep in the same manner that can be captured as a full res IR. Hitting it with a mallet could create some aspect of the guitar body, but I think tone match is still your best option unfortunately

I don't recall seeing anything about the Tone Match block supporting FullRes IRs. There's nothing about it in the FW 17.00 release notes.

An impulse response is the capture of a sine sweep or broadband noise in an area. Playing your acoustic guitar doesn't create a broadband sweep in the same manner that can be captured as a full res IR. Hitting it with a mallet could create some aspect of the guitar body, but I think tone match is still your best option unfortunately

It's been awhile but I made some nice tonematches of acoustic guitars, violins, cellos and even organs from the best quality solo recordings I could find on youtube. I converted those to irs with cablab and used them in acoustic, violin and organ simulations with the AxeFx. Playing acoustic and putting the capture mic the correct distance from you in a nice sounding room should work? The sweep you mention could give better results.

I don't recall seeing anything about the Tone Match block supporting FullRes IRs. There's nothing about it in the FW 17.00 release notes.
It's in the AxeEdit release notes:

Axe-Edit III 1.10.00 is now available via auto-update or from our website:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-edit/

RELEASE NOTES

VERSION 1.10.00
SEPTEMBER 28, 2021

Current Axe-Fx III Firmware Version: 17.00

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.7 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 7 or newer
  • Minimum firmware version 3.02

NEW IN THIS VERSION

* Support for firmware 17.00
o Updated the IR Capture view and the CAB and IR PLAYER blocks to support FullRes(tm)
o Updated DRIVE layouts for "Valve Screamer VS9" and "Maxoff 808".
o Added "FAS Buttery" to the AMP layouts

That's IR Capture, not Tone Match. Different features.

Maybe it's a MK1 vs MK2 thing, but on my MK1, I can't get a Tonematch to capture longer reverb tails (up to 1.3 seconds). It matches the EQ as expected, but no tails. Seems like the Averaging Time window is too short for FullRes. Capturing a longer impulse decay is not really the purpose of the Tone Match block.

Maybe I'm confusing tonematch and ir capture? Anyways v17 supports fullres ir capture. Go to ir capture on the utility tab and there's a fullres option.

I wonder if you could get creative and put a small FRFR speaker inside or a maybe attach some kind of transducer to the top or body of an acoustic guitar and try and record the IR capture tones in the room that way? I mean the body of an acoustic is basically a rudimentary speaker. Likely wouldn't capture the bright response of the strings themselves, but it would be an interesting experiment at least.

I've just made some nylon acoustic guitar tone matches (piezo / mic)
and I haven't had other choice than save them in user banks 1 & 2 (Ax FXlll MarkII) this are not FRs.
I loaded a pair of Briscati FR into the IR player and a reverb at the end of the grid...it'sounds good.

Preset+Cab Bundle:

Attachments

• Nylon Acoustic TM.fasBundle.zip
    124.5 KB · Views: 29
I mean, there’s gotta be a way to do it, and I agree that tone matching makes the most sense but why not both. Great mic, great mic pre, tap the bridge, capture the body, then tone match after for string articulation and match EQ. I’m gonna try to give it a go, my axe 3 comes on Tuesday. :-/ just wish I could find a damned tutorial on the bridge tap technique.

Back
Top Bottom