About to order a custom Carvin DC727... Anyone here have one? Thoughts?

I see CT6 also has a coil splitter...nice! Do you use it?

Yes I do , very nice tones . Decent variety for a 2 p-up guitar . cleans up clean to slightly overdriven amps without sounding too thin.
I have a Maple neck ST300 too but dont like the maple as much as the Mahogony just really dig that Mahogony richness . I also have an OLd Ultra V I bought used in 86 ish w a floyd dont play that one as much anymore - impossible to play the V sitting down .

Yes I do , very nice tones . Decent variety for a 2 p-up guitar . cleans up clean to slightly overdriven amps without sounding too thin.
I have a Maple neck ST300 too but dont like the maple as much as the Mahogony just really dig that Mahogony richness . I also have an OLd Ultra V I bought used in 86 ish w a floyd dont play that one as much anymore - impossible to play the V sitting down .

No, V is not a bedroom musicians guitar :))

Any carvin I've ever played had been amazing! They truly make quality instruments at a reasonable price.

I have several Carvin guitars. I have two bases (LB75 and LB75F), a 185-12 (electric 12 string), an AC175 (electric acoustic) and a DC-400. The DC 400 has been my main stage guitar for quite a while. Extremely versatile. Playability is superb. I use jumbo SS frets. The DC 400 has coil splitters. I also have the Wilkenson trem with the piezo saddles. The pickups do not have the same quality as my Suhr's or Lollars, but that is not to say the Carvin's are bad. They are just not as good as some other pu's. Obviously, I like Carvin instruments. Carvin is an excellent guitar for the price. Price to quality hits it out of the park. Just my 2 cents.

I have a DC727 with active pickups for a while and was wondering how it would sound if it was passive. So I went to to the luthier this Saturday and had it done. He managed to bypass the two build in boards, one is an mini amp and the other is a EQ (pickups are per se passive). I suppose that would be same as if I would have ordered a passive guitar in the beginning instead of active. He warned me that the guitar has lost some of its power now. As soon as I got home I plugged the guitar and was really curious. Have to say, my first reaction was a shock. It really lost some power. I like a preset with SLO 100 and the tone that I got was a bit pale compared to the old high gain tone that I had before. After trying few other presets out, I have noticed that I can finally feel the dynamics and have a better pick attack. That was a huge plus. Then I had an idea how to achieve that old high gain tone again: I don't have an onboard amp and EQ anymore but I can do the same trick with a mid or treble boost in a drive block before the amp block in my AXE. And that is working fine. The only thing that is a small disadvantage is that I have to go all my presets through and adjust them. My Carvin sounds now more like a Strat and with the AXE I can dial almost every sound I want from a bit of crunch till high gain. Do you guys already have some similar experience with passive/active or would you say that your passive Carvin guitars may probably sound like I have explained it here? I want to be sure I didn't miss something when bypassing these active boards. The signal dropped on the AXE and it has more headroom than before. It's also just a bit more dark, missing some of the mids and treble as I was used to before. Would you say it's normal?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom