About to order a custom Carvin DC727... Anyone here have one? Thoughts?

I'm looking at Carvin again as well, though I'm looking at a CT ?24. I have been surfing over at the Carvin and TGP boards and the CT7 seems to get pretty good reviews. I don't have any experience with the 7 string it looks like a really well built guitar. The C66 I had a wile back was nice and well appointed for the money I paid. I have been eyeballing one on eBay but can't decide if I want to order or go used.

Can't say I've played one, but I do want one really bad. I don't really see any better 7 string option around the 1k price point. Every Carvin I have played has been extremely high quality. The Carvin forum is a very helpful place as well.

What are you thinking for options?

I had a black one a while back.

Mine took some getting used to. I'm used to guitars being resonant and light and vibrating against you. I guess because the neck needs to be stronger that usual and that it was neck though it didn't resonate like I was used to. I've played original Steinbergers and Parker Fly's that felt the same. And it had a painted neck that I wasn't used to.

I remember it was well made and sounded good with new strings and a bit dull after a week or so of solid playing. I think I could have set it up better that I did but it felt like you could play anything anywhere on the neck.

I think it's a lot of guitar for the money, but Carvins I've played have always had a slightly stiff feel about them. If you're expecting that it'll work for you. I ended up going back to bolt on basswood/alder bodied maple necked shred machines after that because they vibrate more predictably.

Remember to get big frets.

I don't play seven strings but I just got my new Carvin HH2 three days ago (my sixth Carvin), it's a great guitar.

120180b_zpse4085265.jpg

I have a Carvin CT6 and Bolt T. Great guitars, phenomenal playability, beautiful woods and finishes. After I got my CT6 I decided I liked it better than my Les Paul Classic, which I ended up selling. I highly recommend Carvin guitars. They may not have the name recognition of Fender or Gibson, but I personally care about what feels right in my hands and how it sounds. The name on the headstock is not a concern for me.

I prefer the name on the headstock(Carvin) to that of Fender or Gibson anyhow. As far as metal goes. Definitely not a deterring factor. If it sounds good, it sounds good!!

I have a dc127 lefty. Bought it cuz Carvin is one of the only games around for variaty of lefties. Overall I love the fit / finish especially the neck (I chose the flat smooth finish). My only qualm is that Carvin pickups are non standard in size / design which makes it difficult to change pickups. I thought this would be my #1 guitar but I still seem to keep going back to my Gibson SG standard (it seems to be one of those that has ' that 'something').

I used to have a DC127. It was a great guitar in terms of quality and playability. I could never get along with its tone, though. I tried several different pickups in it and still just couldn't live with it. It was alder with a maple neck-thru. Strangely, it was actually a somewhat dark-sounding guitar but it had something going on in the high mids that was abrasive to my ears. Probably due to the maple neck. I haven't owned a maple-necked guitar yet that I was happy with in terms of tone. Guess I'm just a mahogany type of guy.

If you definitely want a floyd, I would consider the new CT 7 strings for their set necks. I would get one, but I really want a fixed bridge.

Just pulled the trigger and ordered it :x Hopefully get mine in before all the tax return rush business I am sure they will get!

It is amazing. Such awesome build quality. The matte finish is perfect too. Not a thing about it I would change. Was really impressed with the fret work as well.

That was a fast answer...Do you have one with passive/active switch? I have mine for two years now and I never play on active and it bothers me to change the battery when I don't actually need it. The catch is that (I've read it somewhere) there's always some treble boost even if you don't play on active and that consumes the battery. Besides that, a great guitar. Now with AXE FX I'm able to fully explore the versatility in both playing modes, single or double coil. That's the only 7-string guitar, as far as I know, which allows you to switch the coils, so I can play funk and I can play metal without changing the guitar (you see, I'm not only too lazy to change the battery but also the guitar while playing).

I have purely passive, but I do have the coil tapping, and I love it. The middle switch with single coils set is that perfect AAL slapping sound.

Back
Top Bottom