About that Blackglass B7K Model

The huge problem with the black glass model was that when you put it in front of an AMP it reduced the volume significantly. Its not an issue if you use it straight in to a cab block.

Any way this model could get an update on the II? I know crazy request, it would be nice though, it's a great pedal!

Either way, the history of this model and its real-world pedal is pretty interesting.

Darkglass is NDSP
Totally; that's why I was curious if "Brand N" was something different or if the user was intentionally obscuring NDSP's name (and why?). Again, just curious because I can't watch the video yet, but i wasn't aware if there were additional Darkglass plugins (I have the NDSP one and it's fantastic!).

Totally; that's why I was curious if "Brand N" was something different or if the user was intentionally obscuring NDSP's name (and why?). Again, just curious because I can't watch the video yet, but i wasn't aware if there were additional Darkglass plugins (I have the NDSP one and it's fantastic!)
I think Cliff refers to Neural as ‘Brand N’, so I thought I’ll stick with that ;)

It's funny. People bemoan the modelling of amps and drive blocks but never bemoan the QC of the amps and drives being modelled. They'll rave about that one fuzz that was sonic perfection (that they sold two weeks later for some reason) but never slight the 50 fuzzes they bought to get that one perfect fuzz.

People are weird.

How does the mid control work for the axe fx model? Pedal has low/high mids while axe fx just has one mid knob. Not sure if it aligns to the low mid or high knob mid of the real pedal, or if its an estimation of both combined.

How does the mid control work for the axe fx model? Pedal has low/high mids while axe fx just has one mid knob. Not sure if it aligns to the low mid or high knob mid of the real pedal, or if its an estimation of both combined.
I think we have a knob that allows you to set the specific mid frequency you modify by the mid knob. But that makes it difficult to create tones similar to the pedal since it has 2 switches for specific frequencies. That's why Ugly Bunny was asking if we could get the Attack and Grunt switches simulated since Cliff is already redoing the Axe version now that his real pedal works properly.

I think we have a knob that allows you to set the specific mid frequency you modify by the mid knob. But that makes it difficult to create tones similar to the pedal since it has 2 switches for specific frequencies. That's why Ugly Bunny was asking if we could get the Attack and Grunt switches simulated since Cliff is already redoing the Axe version now that his real pedal works properly.
I thought that frequency shifts the entire tonestack and not just the mids. But I could be getting mixed up with the amp block tone stack.

The attack and grunt switches are more how the low end and high end is treated by the distortion. When I had to pedal I always left the grunt switch in “fat” and the attack in “flat” but occasionally if I wanted the distortion to effect the highs more I’d put it to “boost”.

On the axe fx you can kind of simulate the attack switch with the high cut and maybe the grunt with the low cut but it’s not the same because the grunt switch will actually drive the distortion circuit harder when in the fat setting (it also boost low end slightly). Same with the attack switch set in boost.

The high and low mid maybe you COULD live without since there’s the 8 band graphic EQ at the end. I’m not sure if the EQ is before or after the drive circuit in the actual pedal. That info is probably somewhere in some forum on the internet lol.

The newer pedals have selectable mid frequencies now for low and high mid. So it’s complicated because there’s so many different versions.

That said when I got my helix a few years ago, they modeled the B7k 1 for 1 and it was so close I sold the pedal. If I had bought the FM3 I might have kept the pedal if I’m on honest.

Also, this pedal is like 10 years old now. I’d love to see and alpha omega model in the helix or axe fx but us bass players are beggars rather than choosers.

The reason all these bass pedals dont get added is because the fractal can create all those tones so easily out of the box. A basic drive pedal and a parametric EQ is all 99% of what they do.

The reason all these bass pedals dont get added is because the fractal can create all those tones so easily out of the box. A basic drive pedal and a parametric EQ is all 99% of what they do.
With all due respect, this sort of comment is exactly why the overall perception is that FAS doesn’t give two s**** about bassists. They definitely do (see this thread, for instance) but anytime this comes up about why aren’t there more bass amps, this is always the answer, which, while seemingly obvious to guitarists or those who aren’t intimately familiar with the differences between a David Eden rig and a Sunn rig and an Acoustic 360 rig, to a bassist, it’s quite a drag. The Helix had 14 bass amps & matched cabs AND the B7K compared to just a handful of dedicated bass rigs on the Fractal gear.

Personally, I don’t have a dog in the fight: I use NDSP plugins for playing bass and I use the FM3 for my main pro gig as a guitarist.

Still, I think the world of bass is an entire virgin frontier that needs Cliff to conquer it!! ☺️

Back
Top Bottom