About that Blackglass B7K Model

With all due respect, this sort of comment is exactly why the overall perception is that FAS doesn’t give two s**** about bassists. They definitely do (see this thread, for instance) but anytime this comes up about why aren’t there more bass amps, this is always the answer, which, while seemingly obvious to guitarists or those who aren’t intimately familiar with the differences between a David Eden rig and a Sunn rig and an Acoustic 360 rig, to a bassist, it’s quite a drag. The Helix had 14 bass amps & matched cabs AND the B7K compared to just a handful of dedicated bass rigs on the Fractal gear.

Personally, I don’t have a dog in the fight: I use NDSP plugins for playing bass and I use the FM3 for my main pro gig as a guitarist.

Still, I think the world of bass is an entire virgin frontier that needs Cliff to conquer it!! ☺️
+1

With all due respect, this sort of comment is exactly why the overall perception is that FAS doesn’t give two s**** about bassists. They definitely do (see this thread, for instance) but anytime this comes up about why aren’t there more bass amps, this is always the answer, which, while seemingly obvious to guitarists or those who aren’t intimately familiar with the differences between a David Eden rig and a Sunn rig and an Acoustic 360 rig, to a bassist, it’s quite a drag. The Helix had 14 bass amps & matched cabs AND the B7K compared to just a handful of dedicated bass rigs on the Fractal gear.

Personally, I don’t have a dog in the fight: I use NDSP plugins for playing bass and I use the FM3 for my main pro gig as a guitarist.

Still, I think the world of bass is an entire virgin frontier that needs Cliff to conquer it!! ☺️
In particular, SOMEONE needs to make a good model of the old GK 800RB hitting the rails. One of the classic 80s bass sounds, and every bit as practical in real life as cranking a Plexi.

I've not heard a good replication of this sound anywhere. Doubt many folks have put time into modeling a distorting class H solid state power amp thought. :D

Never been a fan of the GK "scooped by default" thing, but the RB series with the power amp overdriving is a great sound.

In particular, SOMEONE needs to make a good model of the old GK 800RB hitting the rails. One of the classic 80s bass sounds, and every bit as practical in real life as cranking a Plexi.

I've not heard a good replication of this sound anywhere. Doubt many folks have put time into modeling a distorting class H solid state power amp thought. :D

I would love that! I had one running into a SVT-610HLF

An update that was just focused on bass and any other fixes would be awesome
Can you imagine if there was a Cliff chase of bass gear modeling that was as dedicated to bass gear as our Cliff is to guitar gear? It’s such fertile ground with so much unexplored (unperfected?) territory ripe for the taking.

Plot twist: what if it were the very same Cliff Chase?!? 🥰🥰🥰

As much as I’d love another Marshall or Fender or Mesa variation model, yes; an update dedicated just to bass would be super exciting, even as non-bassist (I guess former bassist is more accurate).

I mean, I already got everything I ever wanted with the updated Virtual Capo in the FM3 with 5.0, so the machine is perfect as far as I’m concerned. But, you know, human nature to never be satisfied, etc etc.

Never been a fan of the GK "scooped by default" thing, but the RB series with the power amp overdriving is a great sound.
The helix has a great model of the GK 800RB and it was my main tone while using it. Would love to see it in the axe fx. I would like to see the Ampeg v4b, SVT 4 etc etc.

Interesting....for a while now, I've been reading here that some users were not to happy with the pedal as modeled in the AFX...it's cool you've gotten to the bottom of it all. I'd venture to guess that the model of the broken pedal was quite accurate though heh :triangularruler:
Yup. Drove me crazy though because I was predicting a maximum output voltage of about 8.5Vp-p but measured far less.

The helix has a great model of the GK 800RB and it was my main tone while using it. Would love to see it in the axe fx. I would like to see the Ampeg v4b, SVT 4 etc etc.
The Helix GK 800RB model has the basic EQ down right, but the distortion sound at least to me didn't sound quite like the real thing. Maybe it has something to do with me being used to the real thing only happening at a bazillion dB.

A while back someone made a small run pedals that tried to replicate the GK class H power stage distortion sound - those were pretty close, but they only made a handful of the things.

The Helix GK 800RB model has the basic EQ down right, but the distortion sound at least to me didn't sound quite like the real thing. Maybe it has something to do with me being used to the real thing only happening at a bazillion dB.

A while back someone made a small run pedals that tried to replicate the GK class H power stage distortion sound - those were pretty close, but they only made a handful of the things.
Yeah, I kept the amp on helix clean. I didn’t like the drive sound of that model. I didn’t like the drive sound of the SVT either on the helix. So I used pedals in the helix like the “valve driver” and fuzz etc to simulate that sound.

The Axe fx (I use the FM3 but the same deal) does a great representation of the cranked SVT drive so I think they’d be able to do it justice. I’ll have to look up some cranked GK tones!

Plugin Alliance has a GK800 Plugin. I don't have any idea how accurate it is because I have never owned one and I am a guitar player, anyway. Curious how accurate it sounds, though.

Back
Top Bottom