About Speaker LF Resonance

I had to Google "transconductance."
yep!!! it's something like a new formula shampoo... ya know... like "NOW WITH termojonic creatinine!!!" :lol
Just kidding!!!
seriously... this is the real part of the Axe knowledge i can't master!!! The one and only part i can master is: try by your ear!!!

Is this low res freq stuff just as applicable to real guitar cabs? Or, since a real guitar cab is essentially "fixed" (vs. IR choices), does this not have as much impact?

Don't these specs apply to speakers in 'free field', as opposed to being mounted in a cabinet?
That's the one part of this post I don't get. The message seems to be, "Ignore the cab; go with the driver."

I love this stuff.

I just 'tune' the low frequency resonance setting by ear. I play, raise it, play, lower it, and when it sounds/feels right - BOOM. What's great is that you essentially are tuning your chosen IR to your chosen amp model and deciding how/where/when it reacts by ear.

That's incredible stuff once you get over to trying it. I love this stuff!!!!!!

Vi-de-o, vi-de-o, vi-de-o! ;)

You are truly gifted at taking this kind of deep-end-of-the-pool theory, chewing it up and spoon feeding us Fracalites with step-by-step knob twisting techniques to achieve tonal nirvana - by-ear - and in a way that is accessible by all. :encouragement:

Last edited:
Whether something sounds good, there should be a uniform aural phenomenon to listen for across speaker designs that tells us the impedance curve. Yes?

I love this stuff. I just 'tune' the low frequency resonance setting by ear. I play, raise it, play, lower it, and when it sounds/feels right - BOOM. What's great is that you essentially are tuning your chosen IR to your chosen amp model and deciding how/where/when it reacts by ear. That's incredible stuff once you get over to trying it. I love this stuff!!!!!!

Scott, you say this all the time, and I keep realizing how true this is: use your deh-gum ears. Period.

Altering the frequency (Low Freq) will change the frequencies at which the power amp resonates and tuning this to the key you are playing in can be an effective strategy, e.g. set it to 82 Hz if playing in E.

I tried this a bit, heard only a slight difference. What should I be listening for?

On the ODS-100 amp, I tuned the LF Freq to 73.4 ("D"), Lo Res ~5; I played in Drop D, hoping to hear something significant. What kind of change should I be hearing?

I guess it should be noted that right now, I'm using headphones, not amp/cab/FRFR.

I tried this a bit, heard only a slight difference. What should I be listening for? On the ODS-100 amp, I tuned the LF Freq to 73.4 ("D"), Lo Res ~5; I played in Drop D, hoping to hear something significant. What kind of change should I be hearing? I guess it should be noted that right now, I'm using headphones, not amp/cab/FRFR.

It's definitely the kind of thing you feel when you're playing at volume.

I have 2 Fractal Audio Axe Fx II's: one for studio and one for live. Best investments I've ever made in my career.
I have MADE money in buying them because I sold just about every amp, pedal and cab I owned.
I have guys coming to my studio to record and everyone LOVES this box, especially the nay-saying tone snobs (like I was) who start off with a negative attitude saying, "It'll never work!". :)
The Axe FX II is the greatest thing that has ever happened to the electric guitar.
Your continued development, support, and obvious love of guitar tone is SO appreciated in the community that you have created.
Thanks Cliff!

Great info ClifF, it's this kind of information that gives us users the insight as to not just how but why, and that is just as important. The interactions between a tube amp and a speaker are fascinating. How to translate that interaction in the Axe or at least experiment with it is just as FAScinating... Ha !

I would love it if cliff would outline how to use a woofer tester and subsequent data to match these setting exactly with your guitar cab.

Power users want to know!

Back
Top Bottom