About sizzle and fizz

If you use a tube power amp you need to turn off the power amp modeling. Otherwise it will be boomy and harsh since you are going through essentially two power amps.

I did in fact try turning off the amp sim but then it sounded completely dead. I was not really pushing the power amp at all so was hoping it was falling short of really coloring the sound. The GT1000FX should remove this variable completely so hopefully it is that simple. It probably is.

I agree re: new firmware and axe-edit.

I recommend loading and checking out new firmware without it.

Might be a good idea to load firmware w/out axe-edit and go guitar and headphones direct to axe-fx and get a baseline listen before adding complexity (axe-edit, power amps, cabs, pedalboards, powered speakers etc)

What program do you use besides Axe Edit to send the firmware? Is there a guide somewhere?

I can only listen to this on computer speakers right now, but that's sounds fine to me. I assumed that the fizz & sizzle people are talking about are with much higher gain amp sounds than those, where it goes from that kind of bite or grind to a much more raspy high frequency buzz that gets annoying. Like the sound of tweeters clipping.

Hey Steve,

I think you are spot-on with your assessment and description I.E: "raspy high-freq buzz...tweeters-clipping." That seems to be the complaint/behavior.

Bill

I can only listen to this on computer speakers right now, but that's sounds fine to me. I assumed that the fizz & sizzle people are talking about are with much higher gain amp sounds than those, where it goes from that kind of bite or grind to a much more raspy high frequency buzz that gets annoying. Like the sound of tweeters clipping.

I totally agree here....
now that I'm in my studio I've had a chance to check out Thomas' clips...
they are perfectly fine.. nothing wrong there at all...

but the rocker / metally folk that want a big ol' dose of gain all seem to be struggling with the fizz...
part of that metal tone is a hot fried high end which is where all the grit, cutting edge and energy lives...
but it still has to be 'pleasingly fried' even if the tone is kinda angry sounding.. jeez.. I can't describe it in better terms... lol...

It's not only how the tracks sound isolated, which sounds like crap most of the time vs the magic of in the mix, but a lot of folks don't pay credence to the role the tracking and mainly MIXING engineer does to the sound to give it that magic. This is what I was eluding to a month or so ago when I was talking about tone matching recorded tracks. But if you're trying to get a sound like some recorded track, keep in mind that not really the amp alone, by a long shot. It has been re-eqed. limited, compressed, some times in parallel, delayed, flanged, often in ways not envisioned by the guitarist when he recorded it. Which is all fine and well, but if there was fizzle, which there most likely was, at the source, it's well gone by the time it's mixed.
Thanks HB, this is what I meant by GAC University and quality of posts.

This reminds me of challenges of drum software. Some are uber-naked/raw, some are uber-processed/finished. I've dealt with both, and it's hard to find that sweet spot.

I think the Axe-Fx has that sweet spot. It's raw but finished at the same time. You can shove the tone now toward one extreme or the other or anywhere between without a lot of work. But knowing what you're manipulating, hearing what it does, and understanding why you're doing it are all critical to the process.

I totally agree here....
now that I'm in my studio I've had a chance to check out Thomas' clips...
they are perfectly fine.. nothing wrong there at all...

but the rocker / metally folk that want a big ol' dose of gain all seem to be struggling with the fizz...
part of that metal tone is a hot fried high end which is where all the grit, cutting edge and energy lives...
but it still has to be 'pleasingly fried' even if the tone is kinda angry sounding.. jeez.. I can't describe it in better terms... lol...

Do you have a recording of 6.0 that sounds bad to you?

My recommendation for people unhappy with the new firmware is to simply roll back to 5.07. Everyone else loves 6.0 and I'm not going to change it.

I certainly can't argue with that. The recordings I've heard from people on here sound fantastic. I know mine will sound like that eventually!

Do you have a recording of 6.0 that sounds bad to you?

I don't... but to be honest my plan is to stay on 6.0 and find a way....
when I've found a solution - which I am certain exists - I'll share it with everyone..
I'll post a good recording of 6.0 when I've sorted it...

I've not lost sight of the fact that the Axe has a huge arsenal of 'things' to fiddle with....
only if I get to the point when I feel that I've exhausted all possibilities and still failed to find my tone will I post up a bad clip and roll back to 5.0.7...

in the mean time... I have knobs to twiddle... [which I should point out is not gay slang]...

Sending firmware with axeedit is not going mess with your sound any different than loading it any other way.

OK. I think the solid state amp is going to solve my problem from what was said above anyway. Maybe 5.07 was just more "forgiving" with tube power amps.

Sending firmware with axeedit is not going mess with your sound any different than loading it any other way.
What he said - I've gotten superstitious :) If you've had issues in the past though, load the firmware w/ axe-edit and then unhook everything except guitar/headphones. It's overkill but at least you'll be hearing firmware by itself without piling stuff onto the data and signal chain.

I think the Axe-Fx has that sweet spot. It's raw but finished at the same time. You can shove the tone now toward one extreme or the other or anywhere between without a lot of work. But knowing what you're manipulating, hearing what it does, and understanding why you're doing it are all critical to the process.

I've been thinking exactly that too...
thing is... like all Holy Grail things... for each of us that sweet spot is not only narrow.. but different...
it'd be super cool if there was a "just go and sound amazing" button... lol...
but like all tools that are highly configurable -as I'm sure you're aware - they take considerable time and effort to master and totally nail..
I think us hi-gainers will simply have to noodle around a little more until we start hitting the right combinations...

I hate to say it because I respect all the work going into it, but I really avoid axe edit to adjust patches. I just use it to backup and update, load cabs/presets. Every time I used it to create, something went wacky and sounds changed or things muted etc. in fact, every time i use it, I download the install from the website, yes every time (which isn't too often at all). I want to be sure I have the latest. I always suggest people use the front panel to make changes, especially so they learn where things are for a gig situation.

That's been my experience anyway, and for FA to suspect axe edit... Well i just hope we can figure it out!

Same experience her

I will try to edit som patches without the Axe edit. Just to see if this helps.

Strange phenomenon....

I dont think 6.0 should be changed(At least not fundamentally) I think that you should investigate the matter.

Maybe I will post a patch later. So you can try it out for yourself.

I am not giving up easily :)

AAEN

But there's no bzzzzzz in those clips. Top end clarity and sizzle is not necessarily related. Sounds like you've got a sweet little amp there 8)

Yes ! It's cool. The output transformer comes from an old 50s audio gear. It worked flawless from 5Hz to 150 kHz.
I had to hear the sound of it so I built some crappy poweramp around it. It proved to be good sounding.
The problem is I have to crank it ...
Maybe I won't need it anymore since 6.0.

I also would like to say that just because people are complaining about the sound, doesn't mean that they don't know what a tube amp sounds like.

I have a Mark IV right on top of my rack case with the Axe-FX II in it. I play through the Mark IV, then the Axe-FX II. This is through the same cab, no cab block in my Axe setting. The Axe one has a boomy bottom and a harsh top. The actual Mark IV does not. In fact, it is even scooped quite a bit to take out the mids it has.

Something is wrong with my Axe setup and I am just looking for suggestions. It is hard to find solutions when 99% of the posts are people telling me it sounds fine and I am a moron just because theirs does sound good. They aren't playing through mine. I'm glad theirs sounds fine, but the first 500+ people saying that was enough to let me know that it CAN sound good. I am just trying to figure out why MINE does not.

Same thing here and great guys like Clarky try to help and most others just call you stupid while you stare at your MarkV confused.

strange though how cliff has a mkiv running through the same cab and his sounds the same, while your similar setup sounds drastically different.

strange though how cliff has a mkiv running through the same cab and his sounds the same, while your similar setup sounds drastically different.

Like he mentioned though, he is using a solid state power amp and I am not. Since that is the only difference, and I soon too will have a solid state amp in the loop, we will know soon enough if that is all it is. I certainly hope so.

I'm also not going to say any more about it until this is tried. If it doesn't fix it, then I'm going to make sure I have recorded clips to explain what I am hearing. Otherwise I don't see how anyone can help unless they have the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom