A Working Man's View on V10 and some attendant Ideas

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Being that I do about 200 gigs a year, and having recently loaded V10, I wanted to throw my 2 cents in on what this has done for me and my sound.

First, the new ODS 100 is worth the price of admission on the whole deal. That amp is fantastic. Both clean and OD channels are gorgeous and I particularly recommend trying the clean channel with the Drive cranked and Boost on. Very, very cool.

The updated Fenders are superb. Nothing else to say. They drip with character and are fantastically "real" for lack of a better word.

The Nuclear model is super chewy and fun. I discovered the Bias Trem with this amp and imported the amp as it was featured in a factory preset into my patch template. Fantastic.

Talking about presets. These are very cool. I got a chance to go through most of them at some length and really dug each of them. A lot of them would be instantly usable, but most important, they give working models that can be imported into patch templates and used right away with little to no tweak. A nice surprise in the lot was the Brit Pre. I used to have a JMP1 and loved the OD1 channel. It's all there, sounding great.

I understand the Plexi was changed. Not that I don't like the new one, but I miss the V9 plexi. It had a very special character and cleaned up beautifully. If possible, I'd like to have that model back. If not, it's not a huge deal as there are tons of medium gain amps that sound really good. I was just very used to that tone and had made it my own.

I have now done several gigs using V10. I will say this: It is more work than before. The models are very unforgiving. The Dumble is harder to play than the old ODS. by this I mean that WYSIWYG. There's no fudge. The upside of this is that when you play well, it sounds really really good. I am not sure exactly why this is. I guess I would say there's an immediacy to the sound coming back which is not a latency thing. Maybe it's what Nikky was looking for and couldn't find before in V6 or some older version. Whatever it is, I don't mind. It forces me to pay more attention.

I look forward the the new IR packs as they come out. I have the LMO AomDSP but I'd love the new AE to include an IR mir audition page. That would be very cool.

Looking to the future, what I still would like to see in upcoming releases:

Most important for me, to help me edit, would be a Compare Function.

And then a rather minor but possibly cool idea: I think most of us like to drop our VOL pedal control right after the cab so we get the reverb and delay effects post AMP/CAB combo. It would be great to have on the IO control page a global modifier assignable to the Level of the CAB blocks. Being able to assign this globally would make every preset usable live instantly. Not a must, but a nice to have that would be cool.

To conclude this rather lengthy post, I want to express thanks and respect to the whole FAS team with an extra thank you for Cliff.
The Axe FX has completely changed my way of thinking about sound and how I operate on stage - for the better. It's made several dreams come true and has cured GAS pretty much forever. The only thing remaining now is FAS (Firmware Acquisition Syndrome). ;)

Cheers!

IMHO I feel the improved dynamics have created more of a string separation for lack of a better description which in turn is more unforgiving as you noted. The firmware upgrades are "encouraging" me to play less sloppily for sure. It's all relative my friend. Be glad you are not at my skill level! :ambivalence:

Yea v10 is really something...it just feels raw and when you get the Drive/Master in the sweet spot for a given amp it's just heaven....

Great post.

I agree with you on all counts!

For me the fenders and the dumble are worth the price of admission

Regarding playing the clean dumble channel with the drive up --- that is how Larry Carlton sets up his Dumble.

Great amps are not forgiving. Clarity, articulation and dynamics are beautiful things unless your are not confident about your playing.

Folks can still walk into any Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon to get their "solid wall of distortion" fix --- LOL

Last edited:
Great post. Thanks for taking the time. I agree on all, and esp +1 on this:

And then a rather minor but possibly cool idea: I think most of us like to drop our VOL pedal control right after the cab so we get the reverb and delay effects post AMP/CAB combo. It would be great to have on the IO control page a global modifier assignable to the Level of the CAB blocks. Being able to assign this globally would make every preset usable live instantly. Not a must, but a nice to have that would be cool.

Well, for me at least. I'm feeling a bit depressed about version 10. It's not that it doesn't sound great. It's just that I can't get it to work perfectly for the sound that I really want which is a lot less ROCK and ROLL RAW.

Although I love aggressive, punchy, articulate. Many times, I want Holdworth, Brett Garsed smooth tones. This is trickier. I've tried lowering "Triode Hardness", I've tried turning off "Mimic", I've went back to modeling version 9.0 with version 10 Firmware. I just want my smooth tones without all that real amp "thump" and "pick attack".

I keep wanting to play AC/DC or Van Halen with these tones, and although that's great, I don't want to do ONLY that.

I also don't want to loose those attributes. I love the real feel of the version 10 FW. I just want the best of both worlds. Most specifically, I would love a Holdsworth tone that is super soft in the pick attack, and holds a nice solid upper mid body and super sustain. Is this possible?

I also don't want to loose those attributes. I love the real feel of the version 10 FW. I just want the best of both worlds. Most specifically, I would love a Holdsworth tone that is super soft in the pick attack, and holds a nice solid upper mid body and super sustain. Is this possible?

Have you tried tone matching something like the ODS 100 to a Holdsworth clip? The upside to seeking Holdsworth tones is there are ample recordings of just his guitar to sample for tone matching.

Have you tried tone matching something like the ODS 100 to a Holdsworth clip? The upside to seeking Holdsworth tones is there are ample recordings of just his guitar to sample for tone matching.

I will try that when the tone matching fixes are done with the firmware revision.

I also don't want to have to rely on tone matching. I think it should be really easy to dial that kind of tone in as easily as the hard rocking/fendery stuff.

It seems that this firmware is giving us both Fender/clean goodness and heavy/hard rock sounds but I'm just stuggling with the super smooth in-betweens. I hope I can truly find this violin smooth sound soon.

i have no trouble getting great holdsworth lead tones, especially if you drop the volume on your guitar a touch and roll off your tone control until it just starts to attenuate the highs.

try the recto orange vintage into 1960a and 1960b t75 cabs with U87's

put a clean 8db boost in front of the amp with low cut set to about 110hz

leave master on default, set bass very low, mid and treb at about 6 with a little pres. drive on about 6 and ramp up input trim until you get the gain level you want

also had good results using the usa lead brt + with FAT on

for garsed sounds, use the euro blue with boost on

upping the comp param in the amp block to about 20 can really help, especially if you use a lot of legato

i'll probably post updated versions of my holdsworth patches, if i can get axe edit to export them properly

I absolutely love V10. Something about it. I don't know that "it's more real" is articulate enough, but I feel like I'M playing more realistically. The response is better. The amps are just fantastic and much easier to dial in.

Thanks for the feedback.
Johnnyh, the sound you're looking for is in there. I totally understand what you're talking about because that smooth, saturated, almost liquid sound was quite easy to get in earlier firmwares but V10 presets are not like that anymore. There's definitely a more raw amp feel.
So a couple of ideas on this:
1. Try the Brit Pre. It's the most "liquid" out of the box of all the amp models in my opinion. Another that is awesome for the liquid tone is the Wrecker with a drive in front. I would say also that a lot of these liquid tones are mid-gain amps with a drive in front.
2. Don't hesitate to move the tone controls radically.
3. The "boost" switch is your friend.

I used to be in love with that kind of tone. I have (in my older age ;)) fallen back on rawer tones and mainly love to be able to play with a compressed and saturated tone with a lot less gain (think wrecker, Dumble, etc.) and V10 in that respect delivers plenty.
I will try to post a couple of samples when I get a chance.

I think it should be really easy to dial that kind of tone in as easily as the hard rocking/fendery stuff.
Is is all sort of relative. Simeon posted some settings he found easy to arrive it -- try those? I'll give it a whirl after lunch. I like Holdsworth's vibe even if my hands are tiny in comparison.

I wish I was playing out now...But, just playing in my home, V10 really picks up the fingers and nuance's of your playing much better than previous versions. This IMHO makes it much more expressive. I love the feel when you get a great a great groove!

I'm not going to even pretend I can play like Holdsworth so you get my hack job demo. But the tone is nicely fluid for my tastes and went along fairly well with the Holdsworth video I was watching while dialing it in.

Preset: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Holdsworthy - by iaresee

Edit: back from taking the kids to soccer so I can explain more.

Base is a clean ODS 100 in to one of the new mixed Marshall cabs -- I'm really loving those. There's some bass dialed out of the amp and some compression on the amp.

The drive in the first half of the clip is from a very hot Ecstasy drive block hitting the amp. Drive is up (but that model doesn't get very over driven) and the level on the pedal is pretty high too so it's hitting the amp with a hot signal.

The second half adds a second drive feeding the Ecstasy. More gain, but it stays pretty singing. Got to be careful when you layer in the second drive block. It picks up every little noise and can turn to mush on fingerings that use more than two notes. But it sings pretty nice. And the sustain on this configuration is a bit...nuts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom