A very serious “WOW” moment!

I tried this sound a couple of more times, and I really don't understand what's so bad about it... Yes, it's harsh, it cuts the tone, but that's part of the game--I don't intend to use it for lead. It appears to be a very good rhythm tone. At least to my ears. I provided the .syx--do you have any ideas how to improv it according to your musical tastes? Thank you!

I haven't tried it in the AxeFx with an amp block. I just tried it into the front of a tube amp like you had asked about and it was way too much. Not even close to what you have on the recording although I think that too is way too much.

I don't know that it is "bad" just that it is very brittle and clipped so it isn't a sound I would use much for my tatse but I could see using it in a specific moment, say a solo where I wanted to have a totally different voice enter the mix. For my personal taste it is a fuzz sound that is too over the top to be very useful but if all music fit my personal taste a lot of you would hate music...
If it works for you then it isn't bad, it is unusual, maybe even very unpopular but that doesn't make it inherently bad.

Last edited:
I could see using it in a specific moment
randombastage, of course, I don't think of making this sound "my" sound. It's just a means to achieve something in a particular context. In the clips I provided I simply threw something in--a couple of Stylus loops, just to have a beat of some sort. It was a 5 minute job, but it showed to me that the sound works, it's expressive and cuts well. I am sorry it didn't work for you through your real amp. I have to try how the sound behaves when plugged into a tube amp. Thank you for the input! Greetings.

Yes, it's definitely expressive, and it truly does cut through. I admire the way you carried yourself while your brainchild took its lumps in the forum.

The aspect of this patch that I just couldn't get beyond was how it cuts in and out as the note decays. It really does sound like failing equipment. How did you handle that when you played?

Beyond that, the patch was too trebly and cutting for my ears. I wound up playing with the EQ options to tame the highs in the drive.

I can see the appeal of the patch, but the lack of consistent output kills it for me.

I think the preset could sit VERY well in a mix of an electronic/orchestral movie score as being one of those "in the background" raunchy-type guitar tones when an action scene is going on, etc. I hear these kinds of sounds all the time in super hero movies or similar action movie sequences. A guitar sound doesn't always have to be what we call (heavy quotations) "GOOD" to be really awesome in context. I love these kinds of sounds. Honestly, I could hear this in the Iron Man movies very well because of its in-your-face tone.

I admire the way you carried yourself while your brainchild took its lumps in the forum.
Rex, making music is a tough business, there are much worse things to be considered.
The aspect of this patch that I just couldn't get beyond was how it cuts in and out as the note decays. It really does sound like failing equipment. How did you handle that when you played?
I handled it by playing shorter notes, so the cutting out wouldn't affect my phrasing; I think that the compressor after the drive made that thing and I, personally, like it. I am not sure it sounds like failing equipment, more so like a equipment "on the edge" sort of thing. There might be a way to make it a little more mellow, as you said, by applying some EQ or maybe changing to another clean amp/cabs, etc. It all depends on the particular application of the sound.

Demolition Man, a much appreciated opinion! The others crucified me, man!
I could hear this in the Iron Man movies very well because of its in-your-face tone.
I could hear it in a Demolition Man (pun intended) movie! Lots of fun anyway! Greetings and God bless our Axes!!!

I handled it (the sound cutting out) by playing shorter notes, so the cutting out wouldn't affect my phrasing; I think that the compressor after the drive made that thing and I, personally, like it. I am not sure it sounds like failing equipment, more so like a equipment "on the edge" sort of thing. There might be a way to make it a little more mellow, as you said, by applying some EQ or maybe changing to another clean amp/cabs, etc. It all depends on the particular application of the sound.
Indeed it does. The important thing is that you had a big WOW moment, found a tone you love, and taught us a few things in the process. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom