A question for you guys with IEM

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Where do you put your reciever, and how do you position the cord between it and the actual earpieces?

I'm having a hard time figuring out a comfortable way to wear the whole IEM thingy while playing guitar. Most non-guitar playing people just have the cords go over the top of their ears and then behind them, and down their neck/back and put the reciever in one of their back pockets. This doesn't really work with a guitar, since the strap is over the cord, and can damage the IEM cord. Also, it tugs on the cord so it sometimes pull the earpieces out or your ears, and generally restrict your head movement.

Personally, I still want the to have the cords go over my ears and down my neck, but still not under the strap. So, what do you do? :)

I wear mine as you described, but down the inside of my shirt, and make sure to leave enough slack between the strap and the iem so that I can move my head without putting any strain on the cord.

I run them over my ears and under my shirt down my back. SOmetimes I use a clip attached to the top of my shirt to attach the c

Same here. Inside the shirt. My iem have platic that bends over the ears a keeps them from being pulled out. Also I give enough slack that it does not restrict head movement.

This doesn't really work with a guitar, since the strap is over the cord, and can damage the IEM cord.

So, what do you do? :)

I go over my ears, then behind and down my back. I am wired, both to my guitar and my IEM's. I have a Redeemer belt pack clipped to my belt. My guitar cable plugs into it, and I have an IEM extension cord taped to my guitar cable with the end Velcro'd to the Redeemer.

I have a collar clip that restrains the IEM's, but I run the cable over my shirt and under my guitar strap. You mention cable damage. Are you concerned about damage due to pressure, or damage due to strap movement?

Terry.

Same as the rest!
I have not observed any IEM cable damage or movement/trapping by my guitar strap. I am generally wired too.. either via Avioms (church) or direct from headphone amp (live) when I go IEM.
Problem I have is that the TX heat - especially outdoors - causes me to sweat, which breaks the seal in the ear, and they pop out just enough to lose the bass and let stage sound in. And that's with custom molds.
I love 'em, but will not use them outdoors.

s0c9 said:
Problem I have is that the TX heat - especially outdoors - causes me to sweat, which breaks the seal in the ear, and they pop out just enough to lose the bass and let stage sound in. And that's with custom molds.

Which IEM's do you have?

Terry.

I go over my ears, then behind and down my back. I am wired, both to my guitar and my IEM's. I have a Redeemer belt pack clipped to my belt. My guitar cable plugs into it, and I have an IEM extension cord taped to my guitar cable with the end Velcro'd to the Redeemer.

I have a collar clip that restrains the IEM's, but I run the cable over my shirt and under my guitar strap. You mention cable damage. Are you concerned about damage due to pressure, or damage due to strap movement?

Terry.

You run a wired IEM setup? That's interesting!

Yeah I'm afraid the pressure and movement will hurt the cord in the long run.

Same as the rest!
I have not observed any IEM cable damage or movement/trapping by my guitar strap. I am generally wired too.. either via Avioms (church) or direct from headphone amp (live) when I go IEM.

I love 'em, but will not use them outdoors.

What headphone amp do you use?

You run a wired IEM setup? That's interesting!

I don't move around much, and I stand right next to my Ultra. Connecting direct seems simpler and more reliable. However, there's more to it. . . .

We have implemented an interim IEM solution at the church where I play. It's mono and I'm no where near the IEM mixer. So, I bring a small mixer and put it on top of my Ultra. I take my mono IEM feed and "Y" it into two inputs on the mixer to I can pan something into each ear. I take O/P 1 on my Ultra and send it to FOH and I send O/P 2 to my mixer. That way I get a direct signal that I can control and I can hear it in stereo. I can also EQ my monitor feed but leave my Ultra feed flat.

My mixer has some effects, so I add a bit of reverb to everything for ambience. I have a portable 4 track Edirol recorder and I route the IEM feed to a recording output and send it to two inputs on the Edirol. I take the AxeFX digital output and feed that directly to the other two inputs on the Edirol. It makes a nice 4 track recording, allowing me to either listen to myself playing or to take the AxeFX out of the mix so I can practice with the band.

Oh, one other thing. . . . we don't have drums in the monitor mix so I set up a mic close to the drum kit and send it to one of my mixer mic inputs. By the time I'm done I have the nicest IEM mix on the stage! :)

Terry.

Yeah I'm afraid the pressure and movement will hurt the cord in the long run.

That's good to know. I'll have to tuck it under my shirt.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom