A must have or must do on axe fx when making new tone?

Everytime i make new tones, i always have to put a comp, tube screamer and teo cab blocks.... I think it's a must have for every tone

I almost never use a tube screamer for high gain sounds.
I prefer to hear more of the amp itself.
Putting a tube screamer in front of every amp will take away some of the character of an amp,
It makes the differences between the amps less because of the change in response.
I use the Recto models a lot but always without drive.
Let the amp do it's thing!
That's just personal preference ofcourse!

I turn off the gate, then add a gate block.

I have noticed from presets taken from AxeChange that some people do this. If the GATE block is in the very beginning of the chain, what is the advantage of using the block as opposed to the INPUT GATE?
I have used the GATE block farther down the chain, such as following a FLANGER, but never at the beginning. All of my noise issues seem to be quelled at the input. Would someone please enlighten me?

I have noticed from presets taken from AxeChange that some people do this. If the GATE block is in the very beginning of the chain, what is the advantage of using the block as opposed to the INPUT GATE?
I have used the GATE block farther down the chain, such as following a FLANGER, but never at the beginning. All of my noise issues seem to be quelled at the input. Would someone please enlighten me?

You have the hold parameter and the ability to fine tune the trigger so it only listens between certain frequencies (low cut, high cut). Also, the threshold, ratio, balance, and level are modifiable.

You have the hold parameter and the ability to fine tune the trigger so it only listens between certain frequencies (low cut, high cut). Also, the threshold, ratio, balance, and level are modifiable.

You also have the option of assigning the Gate Block's source (no matter where in your chain you put it) from Row 2 or Input 1 etc etc
thumbsup.gif

Comp, OD and two Cab blocks necessary? Not at all.

Many fine tones can be accomplished with just AMP+CAB.

Having said that, I use a template (with global blocks) as well, because I know what works for me.
Developed over time.

1502grid.png

And here's a blank template:

Grid_template.jpg

And here's a list of things to consider when creating / editing presets. Taken from the wiki:

• Stick to the same grid layout/routing whenever possible, to simplify viewing and editing. May increase preset switching speed as well.
  • Re-use effect blocks with preferred settings and levels, through Global Blocks, or saved/recalled effects from Axe-Edit's library.
  • Assign external controllers in a consistent way.
  • Even if delay/reverb won't be used in a preset, consider inserting a bypassed Delay/Reverb block just to enable spillover.
  • Verify that effects before the Amp block are not set to stereo.
  • Be aware that certain effect blocks sum the signal to mono (Amp, Drive, mono Cab).
  • Check your settings (I/O, and blocks) for correct mono/stereo operation to prevent phase cancellation.
  • Make sure that the block settings, and output mixer levels, enable unity gain, in engaged and bypassed state.
  • Set Mix, Level and Bypass parameters correctly when placing effects in parallel rows.
  • Make sure the overall preset level matches other presets and does not clip when engaging a volume boost, Wah, etc.
  • Check the Noise gate settings (Layout > Gte/In). Turn it off when not needed, to save CPU.
  • Use a consistent way to boost the signal level of presets for leads.
  • Use a consistent naming scheme for presets.
  • Make sure that effect blocks are set to the correct X/Y state (AE displays this).
  • Check the preset's tempo settings.
  • Verify that you're working in the correct preset scene.
  • When using one Amp block: use Amp 1, never Amp 2.
  • Need variations of tones: use X/Y and Scenes.
  • Make sure that CPU usage stays below 90% (connecting USB will increase CPU usage). Note that CPU usage can vary, depending on the X/Y state of effect blocks.

Last edited:
Well, the first thing you MUST do is attach the routing from the input to the output. Everything after that is up to you.

I usually drop an amp in that I want to play around with, then I page through the cabs until it sounds good. I then go back to the amp and tweak the basic bass/mid/high/presence/mastervolume/level controls until it sounds better. Save.

I am pretty old school. No gates, no drive, no compression. Usually 1 amp, 2 cabs (NF/FF), reverb. I start with that, then add stuff along the way, but I am considering making a master template (or in my case 2 or 3 master templates, since my effects are ordered/routed differently in different patches) as Yek does

Usually for me its Compressor -> Wah (not enabled, set to use one of my expression pedals with autoengage) -> maybe a drive block -> amp -> cab -> maybe chorus -> delay - reverb.

This is what I'd use on a pedalboard 95% of the time. I like to keep it simple. Right now, I'm just using two presets for most of my stuff. One is a Vibroverb model with an Ownhammer UR 212 cab with Jenson P12Rs. The other is a Plexi High amp model with an Ownhammer UR 412 with English V30s.

I do like experimenting with drive blocks on my Plexi patch. I find that drive blocks add their own unique tonal flavor, but to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom