A monitor for serious live use

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I'm building a lazy guy's live rig. So I just want one powered monitor that is loud, flat and clear enough for me so that I don't need to stand in one position throughout the gig.

I've been looking at these:
JBL PRX
Mackie monitors
QSC K12

Have you guys tried these and what your opinion on sound quality and loudness vs price etc?

I assume I'll be flooded with CLR spam. Sorry but it's simply not loud enough. I will not cut my lows to make it louder because I like my lows. :)

Is there something new that is loud enough for serious stage use that I haven't heard about?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

K12 works great for me... I get sound guys asking me to turn down, and it'll chunk your head off. I run it in sub mode (cuts some lows), and on flat. I stand it up, and in my cab block depending on the amp I use the high cut 6k-8-9k.... just use my ear... this helps at loud volumes.

K12 works great for me... I get sound guys asking me to turn down, and it'll chunk your head off. I run it in sub mode (cuts some lows), and on flat. I stand it up, and in my cab block depending on the amp I use the high cut 6k-8-9k.... just use my ear... this helps at loud volumes.

Yeah that's the one I've been keeping my eye on. 1000W split evenly to LF and HF is a big plus also. Only thing I'm worried about is that it's not a wooden cab.

Did you try one?

No. I love the concept and I'm especially interested in the way people say it spreads the sound but you probably know it just as well as I do... it's not like there's a way to get them in Europe anyways if it came to it. I'm simply not happy with the spec sheet and the feedback people have been giving. People comparing CLRs to f.ex. the monitors I mentioned seems like there's no competition volume-wise. I already have ~500W speakers which are not loud enough. Also when the creator of a product tells you to compensate your tone to make his product work... that's when I walk out the door. ;)

I'm looking for a monitor too with Clark.

I'm thinking the Mackie SRM 550 or QSC K12. 800€ is max that I'll spent on a monitor so the price range is about 600-800€.

Has anyone tried the new Mackies? Many people have the K12 so I know it'll work fine but the new SRM 550 is pretty interesting choice also and it's little cheaper than K12

No. I love the concept and I'm especially interested in the way people say it spreads the sound but you probably know it just as well as I do... it's not like there's a way to get them in Europe anyways if it came to it. I'm simply not happy with the spec sheet and the feedback people have been giving. People comparing CLRs to f.ex. the monitors I mentioned seems like there's no competition volume-wise. I already have ~500W speakers which are not loud enough. Also when the creator of a product tells you to compensate your tone to make his product work... that's when I walk out the door. ;)

There's an Atomic distribution center in Ireland I think. No problem getting them and there's a money back guarantee.

I've owned the K12 and gigged with it. It is a good monitor and has great I/O features, but just like you write, you do hear it's plastic. Tone wise, it's no match for the CLR.

I have two CLRs active wedges. Replaced my studio monitors.

yo superman.. i live in Norway. I got 2 CLR `s . If i could get them,you should to ;)
My friend,have 2 also.. and he say,that ha has never had a better live sound,on stage. (and he is a old amp "tube" 4x12 guy)

I use a CLR in a LOUD progressive metal band. Seriously, it is loud enough haha. I use a passive one though with a Matrix GT1000FX. Might be the difference, but yeah. Needs to be tried first. Do NOT got a K12. I had 2 and it as the worst experience as far as volume goes.

I use a CLR in a LOUD progressive metal band. Seriously, it is loud enough haha. I use a passive one though with a Matrix GT1000FX. Might be the difference, but yeah. Needs to be tried first. Do NOT got a K12. I had 2 and it as the worst experience as far as volume goes.

Why were the K12 so bad? I've heard alot of good and bad things about them but they're still the ones I consider to buy under 800€.

Finland really sucks when it comes to PA stuff, there is no musicstore that has any monitors in stock to try out and listen so we just have to google reviews etc and decide what to buy.

Reviews of any speaker are welcome now. Clark just sold his 4x12 and we need to get some good loud monitors for our AFXs so we can get our band rocking :D

As a former QSC K-series owner and user, I will attest that these speaker systems are not "Flat Response" at all. Both the K10 and the K12 have artificially-enhanced LF response. If you want to correct your K-series for a flatter response, you should consider using EQ to roll off the low-frequency content. On the K10s, I used a -3dB shelf from 700Hz downward.

The K-series get plenty loud. You won't get any hearing-protection preaching from me, but I will put up this link for people to look at.

Permissible Exposure Time for Noise SPL sound pressure level and duration Guidelines How long can a person endure a certain noise level before hearing damage occurs health sound level noise hearing ears impairment tinnitus damage - sengpielaudio Seng

I had a pair of RCF NX12SA's prior to my CLR's. Wish I had them back. Loud, flat, punchy and clear. Another plus on the cosmetic side was that the control was on the sides as opposed to the back and they have Neutrik power connectors. Will keep some schmuck from in front of the stage accidentally unplugging the IEC power chord of your monitor.

Steve

I'm building a lazy guy's live rig. So I just want one powered monitor that is loud, flat and clear enough for me so that I don't need to stand in one position throughout the gig.

I've been looking at these:
JBL PRX
Mackie monitors
QSC K12

Have you guys tried these and what your opinion on sound quality and loudness vs price etc?

I assume I'll be flooded with CLR spam. Sorry but it's simply not loud enough. I will not cut my lows to make it louder because I like my lows. :)

Is there something new that is loud enough for serious stage use that I haven't heard about?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Back
Top Bottom