A monitor for serious live use

This doesn't really tell me much, but it might be helpful for some people. I definitely don't miss any bass response with the CLRs.

Note: this is the 10" version. And, turn up the volume.

More boominess is definitely not something I want or need. (That's what I can gather from the video.) The first one he did was definitely not a good comparison. It made the CLR sound thin in comparison and the Yamaha really bassy and lacking definition. This one is a little better.

Again, I'd love to try them, but really happy with the CLRs.

I will say in this vid you can hear the difference between CLR and the Yamaha even with the DSP, youtube compression or not it still sounds somewhat dead. In this case you really do get what you pay for.

One thing not discussed much is how well the CLR "plays with others".

The CLR's will sound great in rooms where other monitors are boomy and muddy. You really don't have to fuss much about position of the CLR in the room itself. Even on stages where other monitors take forever to position just right to avoid weird room issues.

Also the CLR's are incredible for ringing out mics. These things just don't like to cause vocal mic feedback. Just a joy to setup and play.

In my experience, the CLR are as sensitive as other cabs when it comes to positioning them in the room. This is maybe not easy to realize when playing a single instrument, but with music programs (basically using them as a hi-fi subsystem) it becomes quite evident.Basically, waves are waves, regardless their source. If a corner of the room is keen to resonate at say 70 Hz I don't see how a CLR could avoid it.Am I missing something here?

Actually I find that the CLR's are less sensitive, at least in the upper registers, to positioning. Case in point, I found that a number of my patches that I had created on my (previous) RCF monitors were much brighter. Really? Well no - it was just that the sweet spot for the upper frequencies on the CLR's is much larger than the RCF's, and I was listening to what might be considered as closer to on-axis high end.

On the low end, I agree. I think that the DSP switch on the back of the CLR does a pretty reasonable job of cutting off floor coupling and the like. Mine are presently on a pair of Auralex 'G.R.A.M.M.A' platforms, and I find that I still need to use the BL DSP setting to decouple them from the floor.

One thing not discussed much is how well the CLR "plays with others".
Also the CLR's are incredible for ringing out mics. These things just don't like to cause vocal mic feedback. Just a joy to setup and play.

+1

Just recently I used a CLR as a vocals only wedge in a pretty large and loud stage, and it shines. The CLR has produced some of the most appealing, crystal clear vocal monitor sounds I've ever experienced, with very little EQ ringing/tweaking needed. Flexibility as a great sounding FRFR back line speaker for Modelers, as well as pulling duty as fold back wedges and small FOH PA, is what attracted me to the CLR, and I'm well satisfied. YMMV.

I'm building a lazy guy's live rig. So I just want one powered monitor that is loud, flat and clear enough for me so that I don't need to stand in one position throughout the gig.

I've been looking at these:
JBL PRX
Mackie monitors
QSC K12

Have you guys tried these and what your opinion on sound quality and loudness vs price etc?

I assume I'll be flooded with CLR spam. Sorry but it's simply not loud enough. I will not cut my lows to make it louder because I like my lows. :)

Is there something new that is loud enough for serious stage use that I haven't heard about?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

QSC K12'S!!!!!! I've been gigging for quite a while now and have been through Mackie's and QSC's, I've never used the JBL's though. My QSC K12 has been fantastic. Easy to use, sounds great and goes loud enough so you can hear exactly what you're doing. Good Luck getting the right one!!

Actually I find that the CLR's are less sensitive, at least in the upper registers, to positioning. Case in point, I found that a number of my patches that I had created on my (previous) RCF monitors were much brighter. Really? Well no - it was just that the sweet spot for the upper frequencies on the CLR's is much larger than the RCF's, and I was listening to what might be considered as closer to on-axis high end.
Uh, I had lost this thread... :)I'm not sure I realize in which way your experience relates to the cab position in the room. It seems that - if I got it right - you're talking about an issue related to *your* position in relationship with the cab. Sorry, maybe some language barrier here :) Anyway, just to expand my thoughts: my previous post is most related to using a couple of CLRs as a hi-fi subsystem for music programs listenings. When looking for the best positioning, I had to face the same issues as any other couple of cabs I've used for the purpose. This means I was positioned in front of the cabs, between them, trying to optimize the sound quality at one exact listening point. HTH

Get a RCF NX12-SMA or a CLR. If the K12 is similar to the K10 (I had one) don't buy it.

IMHO the best FRFR-Active Monitor in the class "Fuc*in' loud as hell and still somehow relaxed by blowing out your ears"

The NX12-SMA has tons of volume resverve and isn't runnin' even on half power, when your ears will start to bleed....I'm happy that I don't need big volume on stage anymore (Sennheiser IEM300 G3 and a db technologies Flexsys for "Mojo") but if I would have to,
there's no way beside the NX12.

IMHO the best FRFR-Active Monitor in the class "Fuc*in' loud as hell and still somehow relaxed by blowing out your ears"

The NX12-SMA has tons of volume resverve and isn't runnin' even on half power, when your ears will start to bleed....I'm happy that I don't need big volume on stage anymore (Sennheiser IEM300 G3 and a db technologies Flexsys for "Mojo") but if I would have to,
there's no way beside the NX12.

I have the NX12-SMA, and also love it.
I have put it side by side with a CLR.

CLR sounds a little better.....but they both get ear bleeding loud.
They both get loud enough so that it makes me uncomfortable.

Hmmm, I've used K10's for years and love them. I can't imaging the K12's are "worse". I've recorded direct and compared the sound to my live output. If the K series are "boomy" you must have more discerning ears than I do. I routinely get compliments on my sound and tone. They aren't wood cabs which has pros and cons. The resonance might be a bit different. On the pro side, my back has gotten much better :).

Hmmm, I've used K10's for years and love them. I can't imaging the K12's are "worse". I've recorded direct and compared the sound to my live output. If the K series are "boomy" you must have more discerning ears than I do. I routinely get compliments on my sound and tone. They aren't wood cabs which has pros and cons. The resonance might be a bit different. On the pro side, my back has gotten much better :).

If you haven't already seen it, there is a sticky thread regarding tweaks to the K10 (reversing polarity of the tweeter and cutting low end from global eq), that is supposed to make them closer to flat.
Lots of guys have commented that they liked those suggestions.
There also seemed to be a consensus a while back that people who tried both a K10 and K12, liked the K10 better. Worth doing some Forum search on those topics....

Back
Top Bottom