A last try in getting Tone- AX8 -

Forgive me if this has been addressed already, But are your 'Global EQ' set flat? And have you changed any other 'Global' settings?
The Global EQ is flat at 0. I'm pretty sure the rest are as factory set, but I must admit I don't know what the global settings should be to compare them to my set up.
Is there a Global settings reset?

Yes. I followed the video, used exactly the same settings as the guitarist on the Amp and the cab. When he plays at 1.36 he sounds like a Marshall. I sound very clean. No 'hair' as the video guitarist calls it.
I just did the same experiment...started with a preset blank...loaded the plexi 50 watt jump and cab F103....sounds exactly like the video.
What guitar are you using?
Which output?
Check your input cable, output cable.

It sounds like something is off if you are not getting similar results. Hmmm, have you set your input level so your direct guitar level is tickling the red led on occasion? Maybe you can try out another members ax8 to verify you don't have a problem.

Okay stupid things to check
1) the amp and cab block are both engaged
2) cab and power amp sims are not turned off in global settings
3) different instrument cable
4) guitar sounds right thru your other amp

In the 'Utility' menu, there is a 'Reset System Parameters' option. Never used it, not exactly sure what it resets?

Thanks.
The Amp and the Cab are both engaged.
In Global settings
1. Power Amp Modeling = On
2. Cabinet Modeling = Active
Tried various cables. All tested and 100% OK.
Guitar sounds 'Normal' through my Mesa Boogie Mk V.
I've got the manual out to make sure I'm setting the levels right. At present with my Strat settings open, the Speaker (ZLX12p) set as a monitor, 0dbs , I can make the green indicator flash orange but my ears are getting blown off before I get a permanent orange.

I had the Inst pad at 6db. I turned it down to 0db. I now clip red.
I also play a very hot LP. Will turning this down give me a problem with that guitar?

It sounds like something is off if you are not getting similar results. Hmmm, have you set your input level so your direct guitar level is tickling the red led on occasion? Maybe you can try out another members ax8 to verify you don't have a problem.

Okay stupid things to check
1) the amp and cab block are both engaged
2) cab and power amp sims are not turned off in global settings
3) different instrument cable
4) guitar sounds right thru your other amp
Well, I'd say it's certainly better. Not as chunky as the video, but not Paul Simon any more.

Thanks, what amplifier do you use to drive guitar cab?

Use your tube amp. U said u had a Mesa Mk IV? Plug into the effects return on that or any amp with a serial effects loop. Go to your system settings and turn off cabinet modeling. Use the Engl Severe, Marshall JVM or Cameron Atomica models. Do you get a good higain sound? Go to system again and turn off power amp modeling And try again. Do you get a good hi gain sound? If you’re not getting hi gain, either there is a modifier attached to input drive or gain and it’s at a low setting, or the amp itself is actually bypassed. Report back. Eric

Use your tube amp. U said u had a Mesa Mk IV? Plug into the effects return on that or any amp with a serial effects loop. Go to your system settings and turn off cabinet modeling. Use the Engl Severe, Marshall JVM or Cameron Atomica models. Do you get a good higain sound? Go to system again and turn off power amp modeling And try again. Do you get a good hi gain sound? If you’re not getting hi gain, either there is a modifier attached to input drive or gain and it’s at a low setting, or the amp itself is actually bypassed. Report back. Eric

Thanks Ericbr1.
I've got the Mark V. Just to make sure I'm going to do this right. I set up my hard rig as usual. Instead of connecting my pedal board on the FX LOOP I run the FX out into the AX8, and then back through the return. Both Out and back must be through my humbuster cables. Out from 1 back into 2? And set up 3 as my volume pedal?
I'll have this set up for my Wednesday studio session. I can really crank the sounds then.

For the hybrid rig test I think you will want to plug your guitar into the ax8, then out of ax8 to fx loop return in your amp. Cabs and power amp sims off for this config. This will use the ax8 preamp sims and your hardware amp power amp and cab

Thanks.
I tried the video for the Marshall Plexi 50 Jump. at 1.36 the guitarist plays just the amp and Cab. No alterations to a new preset. He sounds like a Marshall. I sound like any old Ultra clean Amp and cab.
Any thoughts?
Try plugging in a pair of headphones or earbuds directly to OUT 1 L. Unless you have a 1/4" Female TRS to dual 1/4" Male TS adapter, you'll only get one side but check the tone this way and see what you get.

Thanks Ericbr1.
I've got the Mark V. Just to make sure I'm going to do this right. I set up my hard rig as usual. Instead of connecting my pedal board on the FX LOOP I run the FX out into the AX8, and then back through the return. Both Out and back must be through my humbuster cables. Out from 1 back into 2? And set up 3 as my volume pedal?
I'll have this set up for my Wednesday studio session. I can really crank the sounds then.

No, TahoeBrian5 answered already But do exactly what he said. Definitely don’t add any other factors into the equation. If you can’t get ballsy sounds this way, you’re not going to via any other way. Let us know! Eric

It will 95% nail it on chords, more like 80% only on single notes. The higher the gain, the more it is evident.

Thanks.
I tried the video for the Marshall Plexi 50 Jump. at 1.36 the guitarist plays just the amp and Cab. No alterations to a new preset. He sounds like a Marshall. I sound like any old Ultra clean Amp and cab.
Any thoughts?

It's your guitar and/or cable that puts a blanket on the amp then. If you have a blanket on the plexi despite using the same settings, add a 5 band passive GEQ in front. High band + 12db, other bands -12db, increase global level. If it farts, consider adding a high pass or finer EQing. I didn't pay attention to the guitar you have, but if the guy has a very loud strat loaded with low output vintage single coils, you'll hardly get that tone with anything else but that type of guitar.

Last edited:
For the hybrid rig test I think you will want to plug your guitar into the ax8, then out of ax8 to fx loop return in your amp. Cabs and power amp sims off for this config. This will use the ax8 preamp sims and your hardware amp power amp and cab
Thanks.
It'll be an interesting test.

Back
Top Bottom