A Headphone Hunting Review

Only tried them with Bluetooth since I got the new model last week. If I play guitar or track instrument, I will go wired. Otherwise Bluetooth.
I was also considering a pair and read that the DSP is bypassed if you go wired, making it sound not as good as used over Bluetooth.

I was also considering a pair and read that the DSP is bypassed if you go wired, making it sound not as good as used over Bluetooth.
I don't know whether the DSP is bypassed or not, but I do know that Bluetooth has so much latency that it's unusable for monitoring a musical instrument.

because I’m not a moron. There are a bunch of different models of 598
I never took you for a moron. Your post simply asked for "a link to the 598 model." I provided whole bunches of them.

I bought the Drop HD58x "jubilee" coming from a very old set of HD 280's. The 280's were brutal, very metallic midrange, fatigue sets in quickly, boxey as noted but I was actually used to them. The HD58x are a definite step up but they seem very "soft" in the midrange especially. Very nice quality to listen to produced music of even YouTube vids of gear demos like Peach Guitars or That Pedal Show. But, still not in love playing solo electric guitar using them even with the best gear (UA OX, FM3, Neural Plugins, other stuff).
I'll take my Adam A5 monitors set super low every time.
I wince at the thought of trying the Drop HD6xx and especially not paying for the real HD650's. I wouldn't even know how to return these to Drop so I guess I'm keeping the HD58x.

I’ve not heard that it does that. Is this about the new model or the old one?

Can anyone here speak to the AKG 240 vs. Sennheiser 6xx or 650 specifically? I've got the K240, and I like them. They're good, great even when you consider the price, but can't help but wonder if the 650 are just that much better and worth spending the extra money. How do they compare?

The only thing I dislike (and it's not really that much of a problem) is that I find the high end can be a little "piercing". Piercing might not be exactly the correct word. Not that they're piercing to the point it's unusable. If I try to dial it out with EQ, it becomes a little too dull sounding. I just wonder if that's headphones in general and if you have to just deal with a little bit of that as a result of playing guitar with headphones?
I have listened on both the K240 and Sennheiser HD600. I preferred the HD600 by a wide margin. I understand the K240 has a reputation as a great headphone, but I just didn't like it much, especially when A/B'ing with the HD600. I haven't heard the 6xx or 650 specifically, however from descriptions it sounds like they are in the same ballpark as the 600. The 600 is much more natural sounding to my ears, and night-and-day more comfortable to wear.

Plenty of good headphone out there, but you also need to figure out the best for your application\setup. I used a pair of Sony's on so many gigs that you could hardly tell what color or band they are. I like semi open AKG headphones at home, but they dont work well when recording with mics in the room.

Oh man I went through the exact same thing for the exact same reason earlier this year. Boredom and working at home led to me buying and selling/returning WAY too many headphones.

From memory, short reviews:

Sennheiser HD6xx - this is my favorite and the one I kept. I like it especially for guitar. Think of the 598 with additional fidelity and clarity and even frequency response. It's not too bright or too dark which is good for distorted guitar. Music is good too but it lacks low end punch and high end sparkle.

Sennheiser HD58x - similar to the 6xx but with more low end and less treble detail. I preferred the 6xx so kept those.

Beyer DT880 - my second favorite, although it is much brighter than Sennheisers. That ends up being fatiguing and overbearing, which is why I didn't keep them. Better build quality and more comfortable though.

Beyer DT770 - similar to the 880's but with a stronger and flatter bass response, a little more sucked out midrange, closed so they were good at sealing outside noise. Preferred the 880's.

Audio Technica M50x (and M40x) - really weird response to my ears. Way too much bass and sucked out midrange with a funky upper mids. Everything sounded out of sorts and unnatural to me. Returned quickly. 40's were the same story as the 50's.

Blue Mo-Fi - tried based on the recommendation here. Found them to be kind of small sounding and extremely heavy and uncomfortable. Didn't last long.

Meze 99 Noir - pretty good closed back headphones, comfortable and seals outside noise well. But pretty bassy and not natural so didn't like it much for guitar. Good for music.

Philips Fidelio X2 - there's kind of a nasty upper mid spike that made these things annoying to listen to.

I also got into bluetooth wireless headphones. I tried Bose (QC35, 700), Sony (XM4, XM3), Beats, maybe others I'm forgetting. I ended up keeping the Bose QC35 as they were a little smoother sounding and comfortable, even if the 700's were better for calls and Sony's had more bells and whistles.
FYI, I got The Byer DT770, is like a clam shell over my head, apparently my head is way to large for BD....

Beyer 880 Pro 250 ohm version sounds amazing with FM3. Big difference compared to the lower ohm version. FM3 drive them well, but just barely (for me). Have to set the levels pretty hot and crank the volume knob to get there.

I'll add a little more to the mix, no pun intended, in the hopes it helps someone else. I didn't care much for either the Sony MDR-7506 or Audio Technica MTH-40x that we had laying around the house. So I took a chance with the new Sennheiser HD 560S and not only did they sound sound much better than the Sonys or the ATs they are much more comfortable as well. I know they're marketed as consumer oriented "audiophile" cans, but I like what I hear.

Back
Top Bottom