A fun exercise in nostalgia

I remember being blown away by my friend's GT-8, but by then I'd "retired" from touring and wasn't interested in getting any more gear. I started working as a construction inspector and was spending a lot of time out of town, so I picked up a Rockman to play around with in motel rooms. I eventually got an ADA MP-1 and a Quadraverb for playing around at home. Fast forward a lot of years and I picked up an original POD, which eventually was replaced by POD XTLive. I started using that when I got coaxed back into performing live again, and from the get-go I used it direct to FOH, with a Behringer keyboard amp for on-stage monitoring. The band hated the Behringer (as did I), so I bought a pair of K12s so we could use the band's K10s as wedge monitors. About that same time, I bought my first Axe-Fx, a Mark 2. After a couple of years, I couldn't pass up a sale price on the XL+, and haven't GASsed for any guitar gear since.

Yes to all of the above, plus airplanes, rockets, monsters and dinosaurs in my case.

Dodge Deora FTW!

My first paid gig was in 1964 at the Methodist Church in Westfield NJ. Modelers were still a ways off. Once The Stones released Satisfaction (1965) I had to buy a fuzztone. Only the badass players used a Fuzztone.

When I was just out of high school I got a Mesa Boogie Mark 1, complete with a 5 band graphic EQ, blond tolex, and I don't remember what. I bought it used for $600.00 in mint condition. I wanted one because Santana played one. I ended up selling it because it was so loud I couldn't get decent tone out of it without waking up my housemates (and the neighbors, for that matter). There was no modeling available at that time. Though I did have a Gallien-Kreuger amp at one point that promised to emulate a tube amp with solid state circuitry. I also had a Lab Series L5 with built in compressor (it was one of the first amps that I remember with built in effects - well, if I am being accurate it should be effect). The L5 had a great clean tone. Dirt, nothing that sounded good. And then there's the Peavey Classic 50 that I had for a while. Tube power section and solid state preamp - or was it the other way around. Either way, dirt - not so good.

When I was in high school (this was the mid-70's) I remember a friend telling me about buying preCBS Fender strats for $300 bucks. Of course few people made a big deal out of it at that point.

And, in about 1980, I was accepted to GIT and went down to LA for a visit. One of the guys that hosted me had a 1959 Les Paul that he let me play (I don't remember his name now). He paid $2,500.00 for it. I remembering thinking two things.

1. This is an absolutely awesome sounding and playing guitar.
2. Wow - he paid a king's ransom for that guitar.

Of course, $2,500.00 (about $7,500.00 in today's dollars) has now turned into $250,000, plus he got to play an amazing guitar for 38 years. That's a pretty good investment, I'd say.

My first non-pedal FX processor was a Digitech GSP-5 ~1988/89; MIDI rack units were like a 'new thing' at that point. Still have it. Still works. I ironically just fired it up yesterday to check it.

When I was in High School a modeler was a guy still building toy cars.
...or HO scale trains!

Ahhhh, models and trains...nostalgia indeed. When I was a kid I traded my "HO" train set for a copy of "KISS Alive!" and then got into "N" scale trains big time; my dad made an awesome layout with them. Don't have the layout anymore but still have two huge boxes of locomotives, tracks, and cars. I'd love to find the time to get back into that, especially with all the cool model train electronic goodies you can get these days....I looooove model trains.

I actually built a visible v8 when I was about 9 years old (1969). Back then, they were battery powered and the "spark plugs" actually lit up. You put a little vegetable oil in the cylinders for smooth operation. You can still get a brand new vintage model for $150 on ebay.

Had a digitech RP3. I used it a lot to sample and slow down music to transcribe it. Super helpful feature. I think it could slow down to 30% of the original speed or 35%. It was difficult to get that sort of function for so cheap and it could follow me everywhere.

When I was in High School a modeler was a guy still building toy cars.

Been there, done that too. Anything military basically. Or sci fi. There was a time I had more tank models then an armored division.

As for the OP, my first multi-FX was the Boss GX-700. Which was in many ways lightyears ahead of its time in my opinion. You could run up to 13 different things at once, including a few simple pre-amps, in any order you liked. In many ways it spoiled me because I always found later Pods to be lacking compared to the GX-700. They could never run as many things, or ran out of DSP way sooner then the GX-700. To me the Axe-FX is the first unit I've come across that can do as much, and naturally way way more, as the GX-700.

Any love for the Rocktron Pro GAP? I used that for a number of years. Looking back I’m not sure why I didn’t get the ADA MP1 instead

Any love for the Rocktron Pro GAP? I used that for a number of years.
I have a Pro G.A.P. kicking around in the basement. I preferred my Voodu Valve. I actually spent most of that era with the Roland GP-100, which was as good as modeling got for a few years.

My first few nostalgia racks from 88/89 on were:

First Rack
Boss GL-100 Preamp
Alesis Midiverb 3
Poweramp (can't remember the make)

Second Rack
Marshall 9000 preamp
Korg A2 multi effects
Marshall 9000 poweramp

Third Rack
Marshall JMP1 (with groove tubes)
Alesis Midiverb 2 then changed to Rocktron Intellifex
2 Boss Pro Ge-21 graphic eq's
BBE 422 Sonic maximiser
Marshall 9100 Poweramp

Then left racks and moved to Marshall JTM head and cab/pedals in the late 90's until my first AxeFx Ultra about 5 or 6 years ago and
then AxeFX 2 and fractal ever since.

I have a rack with a custom made Chapman Stick preamp, a Peavey Rockmaster, two Alesis Microverbs and an American Audio GX300.

The Rockmaster is very cool IMHO.

Reactions: Rex
My first FX other than a Boss HM-2 was a Digitech DSP 128+, since then I’ve had so much. I actually still have a Boss GT-Pro (rack version of the 8), POD X3 (both the floor and the rack unit) Digitech GSP 2101, Rocktron Replifex, Line 6 Vetta etc. think I’m gonna try to sell most of it off later this month.

I have my original 5150 (about to sell my 5150 iii I think) a Quilter Tone Block, a Helix LT and my AF2, that really does all I need. I actually have parked my AF2 in my home studio for now. The Helix, especially when used with tube power does well live but just can’t touch the AF2 for recording.

Started with a beige Dean Markley practice amp (K20??) & Ibanez Metal Charger pedal. Moved up to a Dean Markley SS bass head into an oversized 2x12 (classied ad home-made special) and was ready to rock the world!!! Eventually went full rack built around an ADA MP-1 (which I will never sell muahaha). I bartered the 2x12 with the band's other guitarist for a Peavey Bandit, which I used as a 1x12 cab.

Back
Top Bottom