A fun exercise in nostalgia

When I was in high school, I worked all summer to save up for my first modeling device, the Boss GT-6. I inevitably sold it years later for better gear, but I still have fond memories of how awesome I thought that little C-3PO gold tank sounded.

This morning I was watching some GT-6 demos on YouTube, and had a good laugh at how awful it sounded. Just for fun, I thought I’d try to recreate some of those sounds with my XL. What I ended up doing was using the Dual Rectifier model into a low pass filter block into a graphic eq. I used a filter block instead of a cab, as the factory cabs just didn’t sound primitive enough. The result was pretty darn close!

Anyway, give it a shot. Could be interesting to mix a filter/eq combo with a cab sim, or even run a bunch in parallel.

I traded in a Pod for a GT-6 which I later traded for a GT-8. The Boss had more tweakability and better effects. The trick to making them sound good was to adjust the global eq, though I don't remember the exact settings. In 2010 I took the plunge and got an Ultra for my 45th birthday. It was light years above everything else and I've been a happy Fractalite ever since.

I used to have a Boss ME-50 in my early days of guitar playing. The delays and modulation were quite usable, but I remember being distinctly disappointed with the quality of the various distortion models. Probably didn't help that I didn't have a tube amp at the other end to help take the edge off some of the harshness. Eventually moved it on because I couldn't stand the constant low-level hiss that it used to add to things.

I wonder if the AxeFX has a 'vintage noise' setting? I actually wouldn't be surprised...

Eventually moved it on because I couldn't stand the constant low-level hiss that it used to add to things.

I wonder if the AxeFX has a 'vintage noise' setting? I actually wouldn't be surprised...
You can use the Synth block to make as much hiss as you want.. :)

I loved my GT3. Then bought a GT8...... But sold it and went back to my GT 3. Then purchased a GT10 which again I sold and went back to my GT3.
Then bought an Axe FX 2 in 2012...... The GT3 has been untouched ever since!!

That being said it was a brilliant big of kit. I never actually used the modelling much, just the FX. But it was really robust and gig-able. Typical Boss. I do miss many aspects about it, but obviously no comparison to the Axe.

I remember betting a Rockman and using it to record with a 4-track cassette that we rented from a music store. I thought that was the ultimate tone!

I used a GT8 for a couple of years, 4CM into a Jvm410 head. Awesome sound - as good as what I am getting in my Axe-fx. I replaced it with a GT10 which did not sound good at all.

I used the Digitech Gnx3 into a Rogue combo for the first few years of playing guitar. In hindsight it must have sounded like literal watertrash but back then it was so awesome - especially since it sponsored the Guitar World tabs and you could download tone presets from every tab they made. Part of me wishes I still had it!

Heh. My high school days were spent saving up for a Roland GP-8 & Marshall JCM 800, both the latest & greatest at the time. I still vividly recall some other kids who played trying that rig when I finally got it and saying things like, "It's not fair. It makes everybody sound good." I also vividly recall picking up a $50 GP-8 a few years ago and having a good laugh at how grand we thought it was back in the day.

Heh. My high school days were spent saving up for a Roland GP-8 & Marshall JCM 800, both the latest & greatest at the time. I still vividly recall some other kids who played trying that rig when I finally got it and saying things like, "It's not fair. It makes everybody sound good." I also vividly recall picking up a $50 GP-8 a few years ago and having a good laugh at how grand we thought it was back in the day.

We must be from the same graduating class: GP-8, JCM 800, and a No Bozos Kramer.

When I was in high school, new guitars and basses sold with scratches dings and dents went for at least 20% less money than pristine new instruments.

All new instruments were sold with a hard shell case. There was none of this "no case included" or cheap gig bag nonsense in the 80's.

Also, used instruments that were in better shape actually cost more than those that showed signs of abuse. Used gear was also cheaper than new gear except at times when it crossed that magical 25 year mark and became truly "vintage".

Its was all about the Peavey Bandit and the Carlsboro Rebel when I was a kid.
In 1980 I sold a 1966 Vox AC30 for £300 and I bought a Carlsboro Rebel because I was sick of lugging the bloody Vox around! Also a Benson tape echo and brand new Arbiter Fuzz Face (found at the back of an old TV shop) which I originally bought for £20 went as well. The Rebel was pretty crap, but I don’t remember missing any of the vintage stuff either. You were never quite sure what it was going to do when you switched it on!

Back
Top Bottom