A bit scared to upgrade firmware

Well, the II and the XL have the same processors and the same amount of RAM....so if the algorithms ended up being larger, the XL would be better at storing them, but not any better at running them.

Yes, FAS has huge incentive to make the base capabilities (i.e. "technology") the same across the devices. There is some precedent with the Ultra and Std for example. They both had the same core modeling through end of life; but the Ultra did have additional features and FX over time;

That's how I would read that excerpt a few folks are wringing their hands over, too: The XL maybe able to more stuff than the non-XL in terms of certain FX or functions, but I sincerely doubt that two fundamentally base technologies would be maintained within the II product line. In fact the entire point of the overall quoted message from Cliff was meant to reassure existing users that the XL did not represent a fragmentation of the II user base upon release.

Therefore, I would assume FAS would try very hard not to fragment the II user base, if at all possible. It would be bad for Fractal and the end users.

Well, the II and the XL have the same processors and the same amount of RAM....so if the algorithms ended up being larger, the XL would be better at storing them, but not any better at running them.

Yes, no one ever said one unit was more powerful than the other.

The question that remains unanswered is what was meant by the point, "half the storage reserved for upgrades".
Is this referring to the ability of the XL being able to store more IRs? So maybe Fractal were reserving some space to add factory IRs down the track?
Or maybe a time will come when the XL will receive new amp models, but the II can't as the storage has been exhausted already?

I do believe that both units will receive the upgrade, but it still begs the question at the same time.

I'm assuming the worst and hoping for the best on this one. Either way, FW17.04 is fantastic and worth the price of admission. Would just be a big disappointment if FAS did fragment the II users. I can deal with fewer effects, and even fewer amps. But I don't want to deal with inferior modeling compared to the XL.

Well, not to fuel more speculation, but a similar statement was posted about the MFC 101 mark lll. But in it now has at least 1 function (That I really wanted;)) that my mark ll won't ever have? Hoping for the best.........

I doubt that someone like Mr. Chase would let something like that slip if it weren't for all current gen users, XL or not.

"It's 18 (.00)"

Sweat forms from pacing the floor
Sweat forms from refreshing the page
I'm in the middle with 17.04
I'm a guitarist and I can't wait anymore

It's 18 and it's what I want
18 It's just what I want
18 I gotta get it today
I gotta get this firmware
I'll go and kidnap Cliff Chase I swear, oh yeah

Last edited:
I really can't understand why so many of you are getting yourselves frothed up over fears that the "lowly" II will not be supported. Unless I'm missing something, the XL is just a few extra plugs and a little more storage......but the same processing power. So please, ask yourselves realistically why wouldn't the II and up be supported by this zany new G3 technology?

I really can't understand why so many of you are getting yourselves frothed up over fears that the "lowly" II will not be supported. Unless I'm missing something, the XL is just a few extra plugs and a little more storage......but the same processing power. So please, ask yourselves realistically why wouldn't the II and up be supported by this zany new G3 technology?

Because the axe-fx II says "G2 Modeling Technology" :)

Not to add a lot of extra fuel to the question of "when", but it is moments away from Friday! For a while it certainly seemed that FAS favorred dropping upgrades on Fridays. I see lots of screen refreshes in our future. Haha

Cliff...

attachment.php

Attachments

• my_body_is_ready.jpg
    my_body_is_ready.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 538
Back
Top Bottom