A bit scared to upgrade firmware

MetalGarret

Inspired
I'm a few versions of firmware behind but I'm skeptical to upgrade because I finally have everything about the Axe-FX II I want in order. I'm afraid it might affect my tones in some way that I'll have to go back and compensate for whatever updates were made. (gain, level-wise, etc).

Is FW17 worth that risk? Am I just paranoid? It's happened before a while back.

If you back up all your current data you can always revert.

Since FW 13 it hasn't been the grind to fix your presets like it was 5-12.

Yup, backup and give it a try. It's the only way you can know.

I went from 1400 to 1702. It took me about 3 weeks to adjust some 250 presets, and most were small quick fixes. There were a few that required redoing from scratch just because the amp model I was using had significant overhaul, and in combination with the changes to reverb, chorus, flanger, and cab block, it just was easier to start from fresh.

make sure you read ALL the patch notes though, as there are A LOT of changes.

Make sure you have an installer for a compatible AxeEdit and the old firmware at hand and the time to tweak your patches.

Yep, you might need to make a few tweaks for what most would consider an even better overall sound. If you don't want to do that work, and your happy with what you've got, then stick with what you've got. Basically this is true of most things in life.

It was already an excellent product before, that anyone should be able to continue to be happy with, but, the best has gotten even better with each new update, so for me personally, I'd sure hate to miss out on that

If you're happy with what you have got, then there is no reason to update; however, there have been some really good improvements in recent firmwares that have closed the gap even more between "real" and digital.

Even going from 17.03 to 17.04 has improved "tubey-ness" in terms of feel and dynamic response.

It's hard going from such an old firmware to the latest, as the changes will be significant. This is why I update as soon as I can with the latest so I only have to do minimal tweaking (if required).

Ok. I think I'm on firmware 15 or so. I can already see that going from that to 17 will make dramatic changes and require tweaking. I do want the better quality sound, but I'm willing to wait til I work on the next album to get there. Matter of fact, I think the next album I work on will involve an overhaul of all of my gear and plug-ins anyway. So once I'm done with my current project I'll just upgrade the firmware. Don't wanna do it then feel I have to re-record the songs I've already got.

I'm a few versions of firmware behind but I'm skeptical to upgrade because I finally have everything about the Axe-FX II I want in order. I'm afraid it might affect my tones in some way that I'll have to go back and compensate for whatever updates were made. (gain, level-wise, etc).

Worth the Risk?

Maybe you should call Geico and tell them you have issues when the Fractal upgrades the firmware of the Axe-FX.... They're looking to do more funny commercials.

You might have to compensate...

Holy crap!You might have to turn one of those knobs!!!!

Don't do It! Your life will be Ruined!!!

I f***ing hate having to compensate....

Last edited:
Ok. I think I'm on firmware 15 or so. I can already see that going from that to 17 will make dramatic changes and require tweaking. I do want the better quality sound, but I'm willing to wait til I work on the next album to get there. Matter of fact, I think the next album I work on will involve an overhaul of all of my gear and plug-ins anyway. So once I'm done with my current project I'll just upgrade the firmware. Don't wanna do it then feel I have to re-record the songs I've already got.

The thing is, you can back up your current presets, cabinets and current system settings, and try the new firmware AT NO RISK. If the changes require more work than you want to deal with, simply re load the old firmware and backups you made.

The only cost will be the 10-15 minutes it takes.

You will not lose anything, nothing will be changed.

The risk would be the same as going out in the rain and having some raindrops fall on you. Backup, update, tweak. If you dont "feel" it, go back to the FW you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, I haven't changed my patches at all for several major firmware revisions now. Are there improvements? Yes. Are they so major as to cause your old patches to sound awful by comparison? Probably not. Basically, it's been sounding phenomenal with very little realizable change since about FW13 or so. At least for the amps I use. I wouldn't be afraid to move forward.

Yes it is, no you're not paranoid ;) .

Back up your presets and label your current FW version in the SYX name.

For me, I have upgraded from 14 > 17 consecutively once I was familiar with Axe-Edit and building my presets. Very subtle differences have changed in the amps that I use (reverb/ambient clean/distortion presets). If you're seasoned at Axe-Edit now, it shouldn't take you very long to re-dial in a completely blank preset. :eagerness:

17.04 sounds good, but be prepared to have to completely re-do all of your clean amps. All the Fenders in particular.

Always upgrade your firmware. Don't look back. Unless you're about to play a show, or record an album.

If you're a good enough mixer, you can always fix whatever undesirable tonal changes the new firmware brings, right?

But then again, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't even save most of his presets. Every day is a new adventure.

Dive in. As someone who literally just updated from FW9 (yes, you read that correctly!) yesterday after about 2ish years and many of the same concerns.... DO IT! It's awesome. It WILL take some time to get things reigned in (mostly preset volume and minor tone tweaks for me), but with AxeEdit (also new to me) it shouldn't take you too long.

Best of luck!

-K

Tricky one!!
If your tone is set then your good to go. But you will always wonder if your missing out on the new stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom