8-string guitars, please explain how it works in metal?

now try singing one octave lower to your favorite metallica and Sabbath :lol
No...just no. hahaha. Actually it might sound really cool with the super-wide gap of nothing for like 2 octaves between the guitar and vocals. I did a song like that before and it was COOL.

This posting is prompted by my friend recently telling me he "really wanted an 8-string guitar". He also said that it's "cool but if the bass guitar also added 2 lower strings, you wouldn't even be able to hear those notes". Not to mention a bass amp probably wouldn't be able to reproduce those notes.

So honestly, help me understand why metal bands use 8-string guitars....Is the bass guitar actually playing in the SAME octave as the guitar when the guitarist uses the lowest string? That seems lame. I could see using an 8-string for solo pieces like Joe Pass or Segovia used to do. But this makes zero sense to me when an 8-string guitar is accompanied by a bass guitar and band.

What am I missing? I'm not bashing, I want to understand.

We use 8's and have a bass player and IMO it's working real nice!Standard tuning on both.I look at the 8 as a extended range guitar,use it only when the music needs it.
AND it's blast to play :)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/recor...g-souls-descending-featuring-axefx-ultra.html

Cheers!

We use 8's and have a bass player and IMO it's working real nice!Standard tuning on both.I look at the 8 as a extended range guitar,use it only when the music needs it.
AND it's blast to play :)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/recor...g-souls-descending-featuring-axefx-ultra.html

Cheers!

This makes sense. Personally, (and I like the djent stuff) past a certain point and I think the guitar just doesn't sound good anymore, but there are those occasional times when I'm playing around with a progression and I get to the nut and I'm like "Crud! I'm out of fret-board, and the chord I want's down there."

Checkout The Tony Danza Tap dance extravaganza (yipee kay yay mother (*&^%$er tune). HOLY MOLY!!! That guy shreds his 8 to pieces. The Acacia Strains Wormwood CD is just plain sick and BEAST is simple but BRUTAL As all hell! But yeah, you can detune a 7 to do many things a 8 can do.I'm running .70's on my 7 tuned to drop Gb Db Gb B E Ab Db with no string buzz.

Even if Meshuggah's tone didn't sound great solo'd (it does) - it all comes down to how it sits in the mix.

And someone please post a DJENT patch.

Maybe someone with an Axe II could chime in with the eq settings / filters on the djent patch. A recent Guitar World feature on the "djent scene" talked about the eq'ing Periphery uses for their rhythm guitars also.

KG

Maybe someone with an Axe II could chime in with the eq settings / filters on the djent patch. A recent Guitar World feature on the "djent scene" talked about the eq'ing Periphery uses for their rhythm guitars also.

KG
808 +6.5 dB @ 1413Hz
--> FAS Modern with fairly flat tone knobs (slight mid & presence boosts)
(Amp Graphic EQ: +1.58 dB @ 1K, +0.93 dB @ 2k)
--> 4x12 SLM V30 (OH)
So in summary, hit 1.5 kHz HARD.

One of the big things about the bass playing the same notes as these low guitars is (not sure if it's been stated already) the bass fills in most of those bass and low mid freqs that get filter out in mixing, or live the bass powers over those guitar freqs leaving the guitars mids best audible. AAL don't use basses live but there is bass guitar on the album. 8 strings do have their place and definately don't always irradicate the bass player, if anything they need that bass to make them as massive as they can get. just my two cents.

Good recording Djent patch also is TS808 maxed tone, set level to taste and pup output. -> PVH5150/6160 bass 5ish mid 5.5ish treb 6 or 7 pres 1ish depth 5 and master @ 5.20 -> Metal4x12/RW German 4x12 important part for mixing into recording. Filter EQ! HPF 130hz LPF 7ish khz.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom