8-string guitars, please explain how it works in metal?

ProTool uses the RTAS plugin format in the LE versions, TDM in the full version. Logic uses the AU and Cubase (along with most others) use the VST plugin format.

IMO, there's a versatility you get from using a real bass and a real time feel that you cannot get with a programmed bass, along with a faster workflow. Programs like Trilogy, Tillian, etc. don't have the human dynamic.

As to the original question, the answer is: However you would choose it to work. Bass hasn't been used exclusively in its lower octaves for quite a while, and the converse of the "Why not just play bass?" argument is "Why don't bassists who play higher just play guitar instead?" It's a ridiculous argument. The answer is that the tones aren't the same.

its called the brown note :lol

:lol:

No that's pretty cool when you think about it. I would like to play a bass like that. hahaha, that would own.

Well yeah, it's another case of what's weird and pointless to some seems great to others. But I dunno what kinda music people are even making with it. Maybe if I heard this stuff in action I'd actually get the point. It wasn't too long ago I was saying I'd never go to an 8-string coz I just don't see why I'd ever need to go below a low B. Still probably the case with the stuff I do on my own, but suddenly now in this new band we've already had a few cases where I've had to creatively get around not having a low A. Next thing I'll get an 8-string and they'll be wanting me to play a low E in unison with the bass.

"Maybe you need to buy a 9-string guitar now."
"STFU!" :lol

ProTool uses the RTAS plugin format in the LE versions, TDM in the full version. Logic uses the AU and Cubase (along with most others) use the VST plugin format.

IMO, there's a versatility you get from using a real bass and a real time feel that you cannot get with a programmed bass, along with a faster workflow. Programs like Trilogy, Tillian, etc. don't have the human dynamic.

As to the original question, the answer is: However you would choose it to work. Bass hasn't been used exclusively in its lower octaves for quite a while, and the converse of the "Why not just play bass?" argument is "Why don't bassists who play higher just play guitar instead?" It's a ridiculous argument. The answer is that the tones aren't the same.
Yeah I actually just found out that Pro Tools 8 is mostly RTAS, not vst although I think the Massey plugin demos I have are vst. I think Studio Devil (free version) is also a vst and that works fine in PT 8. My way of thinking is if it works, it's good. As for the arguments for lower octave strings, I just say "I need more strings and basses don't have enough strings. Gimme a harp and I'll djent it up with the axe fx" :lol

Okay let me know if that works because I either forgot how to do the soundcloud thing, or I just plain never learned.
It's me playing some djent. LOTS OF CLAMS, practically no eq done (only screwed a bit with drums and master bus has 100hz and 12Khz boosted by 2db with a shelving filter. Axe and bass are untouched.), I'm tired so don't blame me if it sounds bad :lol
first play is with bass playing same octave as guitars (no quad tracking), then no bass, then bass played an octave higher than guitars, then no bass once more for comparison. Hopefully you guys can hear the difference with the bass and without. Yes the bass sounds robotic. It's metal, there's not supposed to be feeling or soul :razz

Last edited:
first play is with bass playing same octave as guitars (no quad tracking), then no bass, then bass played an octave higher than guitars, then no bass once more for comparison. Hopefully you guys can hear the difference with the bass and without. Yes the bass sounds robotic. It's metal, there's not supposed to be feeling or soul :razz
It could just be the mix, but the differences between those three are surprisingly subtle. Listening on just a laptop, the bass an octave up sounded better, because it helped fill out the sound a little more. Listening on my Yamaha monitors (with sub), 90+% of the bass (frequency) sound was the kick. The lower/same octave bass gave a mild fattening. The octave up filled out some of the missing frequencies, which was a little nicer to the ear, but that probably isn't the goal.

Thanks for the example, Sam! I've often pondered this same thing and now that I've heard it, I can honestly say I prefer the no-bass version. I hear very little difference between the same octave and the no bass versions (could be my speakers), but the octave up bass sounds like garbage imho. So really, if you have 2 guitar players with 8-string guitars, it doesn't really pay to have a bassist.

Just get a Harpejji and play both! Marcodi Musical Products: Makers of the harpejji | Videos

:lol it was 3 in the morning I had no idea my ear fatigue was that screwy. Well I guess my philosophy that has been with me for mixing is weak drum equal weak mix so that's probably why but then again I did practically no mixing and I just screwed with the levels a bit.

I agree haha. However that is just TOO low for guitar hahaha. After I've used my B-standard guitar for a few tunes I may change my mind though lol
Honestly I even kinda agree with you. I have my 8 string tuned to standard all the way so the two extra strings are b and f# and that f# is pretty ridiculous sometimes its
Fun as hell though.

It could just be the mix, but the differences between those three are surprisingly subtle. Listening on just a laptop, the bass an octave up sounded better, because it helped fill out the sound a little more. Listening on my Yamaha monitors (with sub), 90+% of the bass (frequency) sound was the kick. The lower/same octave bass gave a mild fattening. The octave up filled out some of the missing frequencies, which was a little nicer to the ear, but that probably isn't the goal.
I actually like full sounding beefy guitars and I did not mixing to the guitars and bass to make them fit so that probably didn't help this debaclemabob. Oh and the drums too. Practically no mixing.

what gauge do u have on that F#?
that is a good question :lol I just bought that bad boy at tops a month ago so It's factory set. I'm pretty sure its a .72 because if I try detuning (yes detuning an 8 string. Imagine that :lol) it it'll fret buzz away. Personally I like it standard. I've been playing standard more and my crazy drop tuning shenanigans have their drawbacks (on a 6 string if I want a low c, I do c g d g b e. Weird huh?)

Tosin Abasi has a good thing going, tuning down to drop 'E'. It means your six string chords all have a low octave and the bass notes are a string skip away.

Tosin Abasi has a good thing going, tuning down to drop 'E'. It means your six string chords all have a low octave and the bass notes are a string skip away.
problem is I'm not good at bass and my tapping strength is laughable. I gotta use a pick to do those van halen type tapping medley.

Honestly I even kinda agree with you. I have my 8 string tuned to standard all the way so the two extra strings are b and f# and that f# is pretty ridiculous sometimes its
Fun as hell though.

Yeah man I would love to play some Metallica / Sabbath / Maiden songs like a 1 octave lower than normal hahaha. That would be fun I admit!

Back
Top Bottom