Wish 8 Delay Lines ala Yamaha UD Stomp/Magicstomp!!!

Mark L.

Inspired
Note that there seems to be building demand for these Yamaha units. It's rare to see a UD up for sale, and when it is, it's pricey. Even though they are easy to come by on Ebay, the cost of Magicstomps has been increasing too. From my experience and what I've head others say, there is no substitute for these on the market right now. Perhaps this is an opportunity for FAS?

The Allan Holdsworth presets on my Yamaha Magicstomp are phenomenal (hence the reason Allan uses six Magicstomps in his rig). The way he set up chorus using 8 delay lines is amazing. I haven't seen/heard any other pedal or rack gear come close to achieving this kind of chorus. It's better than any Tri-Chorus or Dimension emulation I've ever heard. It absolutely fills the room and swirls around your head!!

I was hoping the FX8 could do this, but it looks like it might not quite get there with only 4 max delay lines. I haven't tried setting it up yet, as I had to send my FX8 back because of a weird problem during booting up. I would rather not have to use 2 plex delay blocks in parallel to get the 8 lines to achieve the UD chorus effects (would it really hog the cpu?). If 4 more lines could be added to the plex delay, it would save a block for this purpose.

This is part of the motivation behind me requesting the 4x Chorus. But just adding 4 more delay lines might take care of my chorus needs.

I second this notion!
I used UD Stomps for years. I have had 3 or 4 different ones in the past. I love the Holdsworth sounds (I am a big fan of AH) but you can get tons of variants on those and other stuff with the UD. I had one magic stomp, the editor was pc and unsupported so at some point I gave up. The ud stomp was great, you did lose a little bit of highs but it was my favorite effects unit. I would love it if this could be setup in the fractal (I have the Axe Fx 2) I am very fond of those kind of sounds myself!

Deryl Gabel did some presets for the axe that were setup like the UD Stomp Holdsworth sounds. Maybe worth checking out..?

Yes I want some shoegazes reverbs (reverse reverb) and modulation from Yamaha magic stomp in my fx8. Also boss DD7 or DD3 kind of simple delay.

Yes I want some shoegazes reverbs (reverse reverb) and modulation from Yamaha magic stomp in my fx8. Also boss DD7 or DD3 kind of simple delay.

There's nothing in the DD3 and DD7 that the FX8 can't already accomplish.

What exactly is a shoegaze reverb specifically? Give me an example. I'm not aware that there was a specific type.

True reverse reverb is a post-production studio trick that's impossible to do in real time. The FX8 would have to predict what you're going to play before you play it.

True reverse reverb is a post-production studio trick that's impossible to do in real time. The FX8 would have to predict what you're going to play before you play it.
yeah... but that's not what people mean ;)

This is what they mean

Interesting. The title is "How to Imitate...Reverse Reverb." Apparently the way you do that is to turn away from the camera and stomp a footswitch. :)

Last edited:
There's nothing in the DD3 and DD7 that the FX8 can't already accomplish.

Technicaly yes but yesterday I tried my friend's dd7 and I found the dd7 has tighter sound for a short delay time 25% with a feedback 50% for an indie rock style playing.

Omg yes sir Kevin Shields of MBV sound is what I'm talking about. I wish can capture his sounds in fx8.

It does seem quite silly that there's no reverse reverb. Especially as there's threads and threads about it dating back a few years.

Maybe - hopefully - the FX8 will encourage FAS to spend some more of their resources on developing new things like that. ☺

i requested this for the II some time ago. i don't think there's enough memory to add another delay algorithm in the II and i presume that the effects are supposed to be the same across all the units. i'd love an 8 tap like the UD with freely routable config between all the taps. i had a UD years ago and thought it was amazing.

btw, it was me who replicated holdworth's ud stomp sounds using two multidelay blocks. just download the holdsy clean, swell and lead patches off the axechange to grab them. (the amp tones probably won't sound great, as they were done many firmwares ago, but the delays should still be good). i copied the settings straight out of the UD stomp manual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom