8.0!!!!!!!! This is what I have been missing.

npdcoremetal

Inspired
I have fought with high end hiss,sibilant high end, fizzy ear peircing high end since I started with Axe Fx. The issue causing this for me was the fact that I am reading these are suppose to preform and act as actual amp model. I never knew until now the presence control was an Ideal control. Now this could also be due to the fact I missread somewhere, didn't read updated manuals everytime etc. I have been fighting setting my amp models just as I would with a tube amp. In the case of the presence and depth it was always to me at leas like double or tripple the real models effect.

I always feel a bit akward lowering 8k in a geq or droping the cab block from 20k to 6-8k. Or even leaving the presence on 1 or 2 it felt unnatural. Not with 8.0 everything is so dang awesome sounding now I even been leaving drive blocks out of my effects chain. I cannot express how appreciative I am for all Cliff and the rest of the fractal crew have done. I can only imagine what is next. If i got one compliant about the axe fx it is not really agianst the axe fx at all and more of a selfish thing. I realy want to see more engl amps models Savage, Fireball, invader, Powerball 2. I really want a Framus Cobra also. However with everything in the axe I can not complain only express how much I would love to see these amps. I also think it would be cool if there was the engl amps mesa, 5150, etc that were models of FJA mods amps he has moded. I will say there is just so many dang amps It will never apease everyone and I can think of 50 off the top of my head.

One last thing I would like to get an opinion on is the cab block. In the cab block there is a low cut set at 20hz then high cut at 20k. That being said do these act as just a cut or do they add that much more to any particular cab model. What i mean is most guitar speakers only cover 90-8k at most and most stop from 5k-7k. So my question is when you pick a cab should you set the high and low cut per cab model specs for instance if you have selected cab 123 and the specs in the "real world" are 90-8k should i load cab 123 and immediatly set the high and low cut to cut 90hz and 8khz or no.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and offers there kind opinoin. Please no spell checkers and grammer queens. I know its not perfect I tried it is just a forum post. PLEASE SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY!!!

First off, I want to congratulate you on your use of punctuation and paragraphs. Well done my friend.

Someone not long ago posted a TM of a Framus Cobra that sounded killer. I couldn't find it on the Axe-Change but if you search the forum, it should come up. I've never played a real Cobra, but this patch was very close to the clips I've heard and sounded great with my setup.

There's no need to do any low-cut or high-cut *depending* on your IR and personal taste. The tools are there to use *if you need them*; they are not there because you *need* them to make it sound right/better/etc..

A mic'd cab has a wider frequency range than the speaker itself.
Low cut and high cut can help you tame it.

First off, I want to congratulate you on your use of punctuation and paragraphs. Well done my friend.

Someone not long ago posted a TM of a Framus Cobra that sounded killer. I couldn't find it on the Axe-Change but if you search the forum, it should come up. I've never played a real Cobra, but this patch was very close to the clips I've heard and sounded great with my setup.

Was it Ola's tone match video? I was just listening to that today and the Cobra and Mark IV matches sound killer...

Back to OP-

Glad to hear this as I've been fighting the same fizziness in recording, I guess I should probably move away from FW 4.01 now? :lol

Was it Ola's tone match video? I was just listening to that today and the Cobra and Mark IV matches sound killer...

Back to OP-

Glad to hear this as I've been fighting the same fizziness in recording, I guess I should probably move away from FW 4.01 now? :lol

I found the post with the preset... it was done by someone else, but Ola's clips were the basis of the tone match.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/51541-framus-cobra-v30s-tone-matched.html

I think what Yek is implying is that a mic'd cab produces a wider frequency range than one is likely to hear unless you play on your knees with one ear held an inch or two away from the speaker.

A mic'd cab has a wider frequency range than the speaker itself.
Low cut and high cut can help you tame it.
I have no real professional background in terms of recording but I know that I use the lo and hi cut to make sure that I get a nice thick tone while staying 'in my lane' so to speak. I can get all kinds of stupid so long as I use those two.

Right? Wrong? Don't care; I love what it does to my sound.

Reactions: yek
I think what Yek is implying is that a mic'd cab produces a wider frequency range than one is likely to hear unless you play on your knees with one ear held an inch or two away from the speaker.

Yes, you put it better than I did.

No, it hasn't. It's impossible for a mic to add stuff that isn't there

Yes it is. Proximity effect. Rumble. Plus of course all sorts of other crap that doesn't come from the source you're trying to record (I know it's 'there' but it's not part of the sound of the speaker).

My issue with other peoples tone matching is that while it is really cool and can sound close to what that person is displaying this still leaves me subject to their personal tastes and settings. Therefore to me once you change something it is not not really a tone match of that particular amp anymore. If I could explain better in words what i mean to say and understand about it I would. However I can not think of the correct way to say what I mean shortly

That's how I always play. Doesn't everyone?

I might be going mad, but since this firmware update I am feeling less "latency" and more connection.

today i did a little experiment: i did the fw upgrade in the middle of our reharsal, during a break: this way i can surely tell that you're not going mad: there's less "distance" and the sound is way more natural than 7.0.
well done, Fractal, and thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom