65 bassguy Firmware 19.05 - Low harmonics overtones problem

Brad666

Using the 65 Bassguy normal with the drive levels passed 4, I've noticed that when picking notes above the 12 fret on G-B or high E string I get this strange overtone ( weird notes that sound lower than the notes I'm playing (similar to using a ring modulator effect), these sounds are about 80% lower volume than the note I'm playing but it is certainly noticeable when holding a note... I'm thinking this is not a normal behaviour. I've tried the 59 Bassguy too and they have similar behaviour... but if I try a Brit800 it does not do have those overtones. I've never noticed this prior to Firmware 19.05.

I'm attaching the Preset - - use Scenes 4 or 5 as they have the amp settings with the drive set to 6.

Hoping I can get help in resolving this.

Attachments

• classic 3.fasBundle
    59.5 KB · Views: 4
Probably ghost notes. NMV amps with lowish filtering do this all the time when turned up past a certain point, as I learned the hard way a while back. This is completely normal amp behavior, unfortunately. Lots of master volume amps with higher power supply filtering (like the Brit800) won't do this.

I've always found this problem to be most severe when using a Les Paul neck pickup and playing around the 12th fret on the G and B strings. It's usually not an issue in an actual musical context, but it drives me bananas when playing by myself.

Using the 65 Bassguy normal with the drive levels passed 4, I've noticed that when picking notes above the 12 fret on G-B or high E string I get this strange overtone ( weird notes that sound lower than the notes I'm playing (similar to using a ring modulator effect), these sounds are about 80% lower volume than the note I'm playing but it is certainly noticeable when holding a note... I'm thinking this is not a normal behaviour. I've tried the 59 Bassguy too and they have similar behaviour... but if I try a Brit800 it does not do have those overtones. I've never noticed this prior to Firmware 19.05.
Probably ghost notes. NMV amps with lowish filtering do this all the time when turned up past a certain point, as I learned the hard way a while back. This is completely normal amp behavior, unfortunately. Lots of master volume amps with higher power supply filtering (like the Brit800) won't do this.
Agreed.

The Wiki mentions them.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?search=Ghost&title=Special:Search&go=Go

"So I was testing the next beta and selected the AC-20. Was hearing a lot of ghost notes compared to the old algorithm (in the debug build I can select between algorithms with a hidden parameter) and figured that couldn't be right. Hooked up the real AC-20 and, sure enough, ghost notes galore at the same settings." [37]

The Amp block page discusses it many times, so search it.

I thought it was a bug the first time I noticed them in my AX8, then realized my tube-amps were doing it too, and thought that was a good indicator of the modeling accuracy.

Last edited:
You're not supposed to "fix" it. Ghost notes add character.

Your flavor of “ghost notes” can add character.

I remember this debate on a L6 forum waaay back in my Vetta days. There was no character to those “ghost notes”. And you certainly couldn’t get rid of them if you wanted to.

In fact I was darn surprised, when the modeling actually generated ghost notes. You guys are completely fantastic!
Yep. I heard it and could not belive it. Its amazing and its suddenly so right when its there.

Back
Top Bottom