Gaetano Donizetti's opera Lucia di Lammermoor "Il dolce suono", Act III, Scene I
performed by the Albanian soprano Inva Mula-Tchako

There is so much good music. But here's one older and in the next post a more modern composer.

Pergolesi - Stabat Mater (a slow version)

Classical music hasn't been too accessible to me. But I just ordered two CDs by Tina Guo who plays the Cello. Amazingly passionate player and incredibly talented plus... and this is probably the appeal to me... she also plays "metal" cello through Engl amps. She also played with the Foo Fighters. She's done work for film.

Tina Guo - The Official Website

I've been listening to a lot of classical music throughout the years. But lately I've been listening to Janacek, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Copland . . .

Far too many to list for me. I was introduced to classical at a very young age and studied it in college, which was somewhere between the greatest thing ever and an exercise in how nightmares are created. My fav composers, however are J.S. Bach (absolutely adore his fugues), Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Handel, and Brahms. Basically, the grandfathers of western music theory. Aaron Copland is incredible as well. My iPod is a strange mix of metal, 90's rock, and classical...

One of my favorite and most recognizable J.S. Bach piece

I see Pachalbel's Canon in D mentioned a couple of times on here...

Being a guitar slanted forum, I thought it might be pertinent to remind everyone of this superb guitar interpretation of the classical tune that did the rounds on Youtube about 5 years ago...

How about a bit of scandal? This Adagio in G Minor is very popular and you'll find it on a lot of "Best of Classical" type CDs. It was written in the 1950s by Remo Giazotto, but because no-one listened to modern classical, he claimed it was a "discovered" composition written in the 1700s by Tomaso Albinoni (a real composer of the period). It became a huge hit, he made tons of money, and the scam wasn't uncovered until the 1990s.

How about a bit of scandal? This Adagio in G Minor is very popular and you'll find it on a lot of "Best of Classical" type CDs. It was written in the 1950s by Remo Giazotto, but because no-one listened to modern classical, he claimed it was a "discovered" composition written in the 1700s by Tomaso Albinoni (a real composer of the period). It became a huge hit, he made tons of money, and the scam wasn't uncovered until the 1990s.

WTF?? I never knew this! We even had this piece as part of our wedding 16 years ago!... Wow!

This actually happens a lot. Here's another example: Often credited to Mozart, but is actually Marius Casadesus.

Rostropovich performs Henri Dutilleux's Cello Concerto "Tout un monde lointain", first movement "Enigme".

Back
Top Bottom