I'm not going to name 5 films. Instead, I'll name 5 directors who between them have made the vast majority of my favorites...

Akira Kurosawa
Stanley Kubrick
Werner Herzog
Martin Scorsese
David Lynch

These five, in my opinion, represent an incredible body of work with barely a miss between them.

This is not to suggest I'm all "highbrow" (he said with raised eyebrows)... I've enjoyed plenty of 'silly/stupid/corny/slasher/gore/absurd/bad' films, and still do... though, not as much these days as I seem to be continually playing that damn guitar...

The Dark Knight trilogy is great, but Nolan's other films (Memento, Prestige, etc) are just as good, if not better. But of course there's something to be said for the coolness of the source material.
Yes, I liked all of his films. Memento made my all time list. Less so The Prestige, for me. Inception was ridiculously good. Very clever and awe inspiring. I saw it at an IMax theater, so that helped. But the full on press and coordination of the Batman Trilogy is just stupendous to me. I don't normally rate "action movies" so high, but this defined it's own category.

OK, I'll take a shot at a directors list:

David Lean
Peter Weir
Ridley Scott
Martin Scorsese
Francis Ford Coppola
Stanley Kubrik
Paul Thomas Anderson

In no order:

Being There
Shawshank
Godfather 1&2
Scarface
Untouchables
Boys From Brazil
Goodfellas
Original Planet Of The Apes
Ben Hur
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Magnum Force & Dirty Harry
Play Misty For Me
Silence Of The Lambs
1st Matrix
Training Day
Heat
Airplane
Omen

finally someone mentioned goodfellas!!

Horror -- reanimator
drama---goodfellas
comedy---tough trading places (I still quote it all the time) ghostbusters (lots o quotes I can tell you! ,yes have some)
action---woooooow , rambo 2
overall /feel good--rocky vs forest gump
war movie--spryan vs a bridge too far

No one mentioned Conan the Barbarian, Red Dawn, or Smokey and the Bandit?

+

-Tombstone
-High Plains Drifter/Outlaw Josey Wales(Tie)
-Anchorman
-Patton
-Poltergeist

Star Wars : Episode III
Star Wars : Episode V
Star Wars : Episode IV
Star Wars : Episode II
Star Wars : Episode I
Star Wars : Episode VI

anything with robots and lasers and sht getting blown up and car chases and spaceships and warfare and nice tottie and monsters and dinosaurs

the more boxes from the above any movie ticks

the more it gets liked

Since 80ies special FX came up, it all went downhill fast for me... ;)
So mine may be a bit older or have normal FX.

The Big Blue / Le Grand Bleu - Jean Reno plays a great character in it. Only on my 5th viewing, I didn't cry anymore.
Midnight Express - Based on a true story (American caught in Istanbul airport going home smuggling drugs). The book with the full story is even more amazing!
Hotel New Hampshire - love "humor & drama in one" movies; "Class" w Robert Lowe is another one.
Coma - based on a Robin Cook medical thriller and might well be happening for real in some form. Great suspense!
Scarface - I think I kept staring for 10 mins at the screen when it was over...
The Game
Original Planet of the Apes movies
Airport '77
Gray Lady Down - "submarine in danger" movies in general
Soylent Green

And of course my first naughty movie...: Porky's ;)

One of the most believable actors I find to be Gene Hackman.

The only two movies I went to see twice in the theatre are the original Star Wars (not sure) and the original Grease (big Olivia N-J crush :D)

Last edited:
I agree with LOTS already listed by people here, but here are some of my favorites that I didn't see listed, yet:

300px-Big_Trouble_In_Little_China.jpg

MV5BMTY1Mzk3MTg0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQzODYyMQ%40%40._V1._SY317_CR3,0,214,317_.jpg

285719_det.jpg

MV5BMTI3MTEwMTAzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTMxNTI5._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Napoleondynamite1.jpg

Star Wars : Episode III
Star Wars : Episode V
Star Wars : Episode IV
Star Wars : Episode II
Star Wars : Episode I
Star Wars : Episode VI

Episode IV?!?!?! Before I & II? Is that the one with Jar Jar Binks? I'm sorry, but that's one of the worst films I've ever seen. It actually made me angry... so much so, that I couldn't even finish watching it.

Mr. Lucas actually ended up on my very short list of 'Famous People I Would Pick A Fight With If I Ever See Them Out In Public' because of that film. Prior to his inclusion, my list only contained 2 people... Axl Rose and Celine Dion.

Hey George! You've been warned... (though, I'll go easy on you because of THX-1138... which is brilliant on so many levels... but you're going to get at least a fat lip).

Can't believe The Goonies haven't made it.

1. October Sky (the first few minutes are one of the best marriage of film and sound ever made... simple yet stunning... or so says I)
2. Apollo 13
3. The Right Stuff
4. Christmas Vacation
5. LOTR
6. Renaissance Man (just watched again last night for the 1000th time... such a well done movie)
7. Ace Ventura When Nature Calls
8. Groundhogs Day
9. The Goonies
10.Twister or Sleepy Hollow (It's a toss up)

Last edited:
Holy shit. Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. You get so many points for that.
what's funny is I normally can't stand anime but everything from the 0079 to the Gundam wing series I like a lot. It's just a great series. G Gundam, Gundam SEED, and the chibi gundams (gundam SD?) were just wacky in my opinion and I couldn't watch them.

If anything, I played the Super Robot Taisen OG series and It's awesome so I might just watch the series.

I think I'd feel right at home on movie night with 98% of these. Great lists! Some movies I had forgotten about but will def revisit.

Shawshank Redemption is definitely an all time fav. I think that's the only one I can put above the rest. Too many great films. There's no way I could do a top 10 list.

Two movies that I haven't seen that I would throw in there some where would be "Heavy Metal" (1rst one) and "Up In Smoke".

Ya like dags?

Ever since I saw that movie, I've replaced the word dog with dag and want to learn pikey talk.

lmao....
in truth... no one likes pikies...
the real thing are seriously not funny...

I grew up around the 'Turkish / Vinnie / Solomon / Tyrone / Errol / Tony / Brick Top" types

Back
Top Bottom