5150 Presence Knob

Do You Want the 5150 Presence Control to be Authentic?

• Yes

Votes: 160 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 277 63.4%

• Total voters

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The current 100W 5150 models (6160, 6160+, 5153, etc.) use an idealized Presence control. This is because the Presence control on the real amps is the wrong taper IMO. The amps use a 20A taper. As such the Presence knob doesn't do anything until you turn it up to around 3/4.

The 50W version of those amps, however, use a reverse-log taper, which is the correct taper IMO. My belief is they realized the taper was wrong and implemented the fix on the 50W version which was introduced later.

The models use a reverse-log taper like the 50W version of the amps. This results in a smooth increase in presence as you turn the knob up rather than the response being concentrated in the upper 1/4 of the knob.

So... do you want weird taper like in the 100W amps or the reverse-log taper like in the models and the 50W version of the amps.

I don't see any desire for a control that doesn't work for most of its travel. Would it work so that if it uses the ideal taper, or 50W taper, presence on zero or 10 (depending on how it works) would be basically the behavior at 3/4 of the real amp's knob travel?

Just document the behavior in the Wiki and have the more intuitive presence control.

From a pragmatic use case perspective… reverse-log.

One of coveted benefits of our fractal gear is the ability to quickly dial up diverse sounds that serve the application. For pot tapers, provided the range of values are to spec - then smoother/even travel across the variable gives more incremental control and an easier dial in process…

This also means people don’t have to circle back to this forum/wiki/google to confirm/ask if the presence control is broken cause it only works in the last 30%. For people without real world familiarity of that amp it offers a better workflow and user experience.

An accurate-to-the real amp seems to be in keeping with Fractal's philosophy, but perhaps you also add an 'ideal' version of that parameter, that is somehow chosen by the user, as to which one is used when dialing it in?
selectable would probably be the most satisfying solution for the users yet most cumbersome for Cliff. "accurate" Presence control representation has been asked for since a long time, so an ideal and accurate would just be phenomenal.

I can understand where those who have used amps with 'non-ideal' controls to have models reflect this behavior and come closer to matching the physical amps. However, I much prefer to have controls that work in a sensible manner, the way they should, rather than trying to be 'authentic'.

I don't believe in any way an idealized control detracts from the authenticity of the amp. The parameter still performs the same function, just in a more usable way.

I will add that we should completely trust Cliff when it comes to things like this. He has proven time and again that his goal is to make an amp as authentic as possible, but a poor design is a poor design. If it in no way compromises the amp, we should be grateful that he chooses to improve the functionality on parameters like this one.

I voted "No" as I would prefer the taper that's more usable overall and has an effect throughout it's full range, allowing for a less coarse adjustment since the authentic control doesn't do anything over 3/4 of it's range. I always prefer when Cliff "corrects" what are clear deficiencies in many amp controls/pot tapers, etc.

The 5153 100W model is one of my most used amps in the AFX, both with a Strat and an HSS guitar.

When I first started using the AxeFX I was all about trying to replicate the way I dial in an amp. The more I read Cliffs notes on every model I realized the flaws and inconsistencies that existed between models and even the same amps side by side. So I think it’s perfect to remove those flaws and have ideal controls across the board. I actually never realized how amps had such weird control inconsistencies between them. I wish I could have gone back to play with some of the real amps I had across the years because I was likely dialing everything in incorrectly and expecting amazing results.

Voted No as I trust Fractal's judgement on sensible tapers - the only exception for me would be the "Mark 5 B GEQ" where I'd vote for authentic-nonsensible because it is graphic/visual, and its typical slider positions are very well known by distant sight.

Last edited:
Honestly…. Keep doing what you’ve been doing Cliff. You know what’s best.., after all, you made this wonder box.
I know you read and listen to ideas, and obviously you know your stuff. And, you probably can’t satisfy everyone all the time.

Also… guitarists (most guilty) shouldn’t listen with their eyes when it comes to getting their sound.. IMHO.

Thank you for everything you’ve brought to us with your exceptional product.

Back
Top Bottom