5150 build.

Tape time .
Projector and this time I am going back to one side at a time.
FullSizeRender.jpg
This is a lot harder than it looks and I am still learning exactly how to get this right. Note the liquid mask on the contour to help control the rub through pattern. A full set of edge photos were used to get how the tape ends on every stripe.

A bit of progress but I really do need to leave it to get hard for the chips and tape pulled off paint flakes to look even close to right.
FullSizeRender.jpg
I need new numbers. There is a debate as to whether the original ones had a printed outline or Ed went round with a sharpie before he stuck them on (wonky). I think the are printed slightly out of register which was common at the time because I tried a sharpie on some "Space tape Dave " numbers (allegedly what ED used) and it doesn't write even. Maybe a better pen but I doubt this is right . Also Space Tape Dave numbers have 1/2" prisms and Eds have 1" so wrong again. I may try and get a pen that works and try them but the prism tape is still wrong. I can't get EVH ones at the moment in the UK.

Long way to go, The black line wear was from a different picture and unfortunately more than in this shot. This build is probably my last shot at it and I will redo bits I'm not happy with as I go along.
I get what you mean, different pics over the years show different wear.
I (as one who loves this iconic guitar) would never pick up on that unless I started pulling pictures out and doing a comparison. And more importantly, I wouldn't care. It's beyond close enough.
You've got a real talent for build and finish work.

As I see some of your incredible detailed work the thought passed through my head…“this guy is crazy”.😁 I mean that in the best possible way. You know I’m blown away by all your work. Also, each pass is just that much closer, and as you said depending on the period it’s slightly different. It’s like trying to catch the wind. I think I can say we all love seeing the evolution.👍

That space tape has to go It is literally half the size on the prism. If you look at the number one on the original it has 2 prism centres and a bit and mine it has 4. I need to find some EVH tape in the UK as that is the right size. I can see why on first glance it may look ok but the replica version has mistakenly counted the centre for another prism.

Back
Top Bottom